THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum OBD2 Scanner and Oil Questions

09-16-2020, 08:12 PM   #1
RedVelvetF22
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

OBD2 Scanner and Oil Questions

Hey guys,

New to the forums so let me know if anything I'm doing is against the rules. I did read them so hopefully I'm doing this right.

Problem 1: I have the VEEPEAK OBDCheck BLE scanner to use with Bimmerlink on my ANDROID phone. Recently I've been getting these connection error messages and the obd2 scanner can't connect to Bimmerlink. The scanner is definitely plugged in properly as I hear the click as I put it in and the light is on. This is my second scanner from them and clearing the app data doesn't seem to fix the issue anymore. Do you guys have any ideas for why this is happening and what I can do to fix this?

Problem 2: I recently did an oil change and my obd2 scanner was working at this time. I switched to Mobil1 Euro 0w-40 and noticed that my oil temps were a little higher than before. I used to run around 240-242F but now the temps were around 245-248F. Is this normal?

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 12:27 AM   #2
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

1 - Try disconnecting the battery in the trunk for 3 mins to sleep the DME, see if that fixes the connection issues. That seems to fix the connection issue when we flash tune our cars with a OBD2 to ethernet cables.

2 - A difference in oil viscosity might affect the oil temp. I don't think the difference in temperature is anything alarming, but it is a bit warmer than my 235-242f I usually see. You're also using an unapproved oil so that might have something to do with it. M1 isn't LL-01 oil anymore, not that I think its critical, but something to consider.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 04:58 PM   #3
RedVelvetF22
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post
1 - Try disconnecting the battery in the trunk for 3 mins to sleep the DME, see if that fixes the connection issues. That seems to fix the connection issue when we flash tune our cars with a OBD2 to ethernet cables.

2 - A difference in oil viscosity might affect the oil temp. I don't think the difference in temperature is anything alarming, but it is a bit warmer than my 235-242f I usually see. You're also using an unapproved oil so that might have something to do with it. M1 isn't LL-01 oil anymore, not that I think its critical, but something to consider.
Quote:

Thanks for the response! Is there anything I should be concerned about with disconnecting the battery? Any settings that might reset or anything?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 07:26 AM   #4
Climate Changer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i xdrive convertible

Garage List
2018 230i xdrive co ...  [0.00]
2019 x3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedVelvetF22 View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the response! Is there anything I should be concerned about with disconnecting the battery? Any settings that might reset or anything?
Don't close the trunk with the battery disconnected. It happens to people.
Place an object (towel) over the latch.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2020, 09:41 PM   #5
mikeysosa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

Garage List
1995 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climate Changer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedVelvetF22 View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Don't close the trunk with the battery disconnected. It happens to people.
Place an object (towel) over the latch.
Been there, done that.