THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Wagner EVO I Competition Intercooler: Have you been happy with it?

08-14-2020, 01:12 PM   #1
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Wagner EVO I Competition Intercooler: Have you been happy with it?

I'm looking to buy an IC for my M235. I don't track the car, but I do occasionally take it on B road drives where I push it a bit, but nothing like the heat/load that would be experienced by a 10+ minute track session. If I ever did any track driving, it would be auto-x which is less than 2 minutes. I also occasionally wrap it out on the highway through 3rd and maybe a bit into 4th, but it's NEVER a back to back pull.

My car's power mods are the Dinantronics Stage 2 piggyback, HJS Euro 6 catted DP, M2 lower airbox, and MPE. I also have an FTP charge pipe. My IATs in city driving in 80-95 degree weather range from 105 to 125 degrees and typically hover around 20 to 30 degrees over ambient depending on if I'm stopped or cruising at 35-45 mph. At highway speed, it's typically 15 to 20 degrees over ambient. When ambient temps drop below 70, it's usually 10 to 15 degrees over ambient unless I'm stopped. During highway pulls, IATs go up an extra 10 to 15 degrees and then quickly back down after the run. I've never seen 120+ degrees on a highway pull.

Based on my driving and IAT data, I don't need a huge IC. I'm not even sure an upgraded IC will be that huge of an improvement. Anyway, I leaning towards the Wagner EVO I Competition IC because of it's smaller size, low weigh, tube/fin design, and German build quality.

I would love to hear from anyone that has one, especially anyone that fitted their FTP charge pipe to one since aftermarket CPs can be finicky with IC connections. Thanks.
      08-17-2020, 10:56 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

As i posted in the other thread, judging by how your stock intercooler is performing the Wagner EVO I Comp will be a good choice.

That being said, i always recommend the EVO II Comp for stage 2 applications

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 07:38 PM   #3
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Thanks, Mike.

I've ordered the Wagner Evo I Competition intercooler from x-ph and I'm just waiting for it to ship. I'll be sure to update the thread with my findings.
      08-27-2020, 09:00 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Thanks, Mike.

I've ordered the Wagner Evo I Competition intercooler from x-ph and I'm just waiting for it to ship. I'll be sure to update the thread with my findings.

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 12:55 AM   #5
M235SDCA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M235 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I'm looking to buy an IC for my M235. I don't track the car, but I do occasionally take it on B road drives where I push it a bit, but nothing like the heat/load that would be experienced by a 10+ minute track session. If I ever did any track driving, it would be auto-x which is less than 2 minutes. I also occasionally wrap it out on the highway through 3rd and maybe a bit into 4th, but it's NEVER a back to back pull.

My car's power mods are the Dinantronics Stage 2 piggyback, HJS Euro 6 catted DP, M2 lower airbox, and MPE. I also have an FTP charge pipe. My IATs in city driving in 80-95 degree weather range from 105 to 125 degrees and typically hover around 20 to 30 degrees over ambient depending on if I'm stopped or cruising at 35-45 mph. At highway speed, it's typically 15 to 20 degrees over ambient. When ambient temps drop below 70, it's usually 10 to 15 degrees over ambient unless I'm stopped. During highway pulls, IATs go up an extra 10 to 15 degrees and then quickly back down after the run. I've never seen 120+ degrees on a highway pull.

Based on my driving and IAT data, I don't need a huge IC. I'm not even sure an upgraded IC will be that huge of an improvement. Anyway, I leaning towards the Wagner EVO I Competition IC because of it's smaller size, low weigh, tube/fin design, and German build quality.

I would love to hear from anyone that has one, especially anyone that fitted their FTP charge pipe to one since aftermarket CPs can be finicky with IC connections. Thanks.
Very happy with my Wagner EVO I comp IC. Also bought from Mike at X-PH and couldn't be happier. I have an ER CP and the fitment was perfect. Had to use some silicone lube to keep the o-rings in place but have not had any leaks.

I'm BM3 stage 2 and never saw that much of a rise during a pull like I did with the stock IC. Just looked at a couple of logs, IAT is pretty constant but ambient is not logged and I didn't make a record of it. IIRC temps were about 20 over ambient during a pull.
      08-28-2020, 10:59 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235SDCA View Post
Very happy with my Wagner EVO I comp IC. Also bought from Mike at X-PH and couldn't be happier. I have an ER CP and the fitment was perfect. Had to use some silicone lube to keep the o-rings in place but have not had any leaks.

I'm BM3 stage 2 and never saw that much of a rise during a pull like I did with the stock IC. Just looked at a couple of logs, IAT is pretty constant but ambient is not logged and I didn't make a record of it. IIRC temps were about 20 over ambient during a pull.
You also have a high flow downpipe right?

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 05:56 PM   #7
M235SDCA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M235 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M235SDCA View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post

Yes I have a Wagner catted. That part I bought used. If I turn on the cat checks it throws a code, but I bought it really for smell reduction which works fine. The only time it does smell is at startup but I have the heating cycle turned off so is to be expected.
      09-18-2020, 01:53 PM   #8
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Updated on the install OP?
      09-18-2020, 05:10 PM   #9
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Updated on the install OP?
It's been sitting in my basement for a couple weeks. Just need to find time to install it.