THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Advan a052s who runs em? Size?

09-10-2020, 09:42 PM   #1
ifobd
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xdrive

Advan a052s who runs em? Size?

I picked up a set of forged apex 17x9 et42 for doing autox and hpdes. Havent picked a tire yet, but Im really leaning towards putting on yoko advan a052s as others seem to really like the performance and they are the spec tire in global time attack. Question, has anyone run 255/40 in these tires on 17x9s, if so any fitment issues?
17 M240i xdrive. Dinan springs.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 10:11 PM   #2
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifobd View Post
I picked up a set of forged apex 17x9 et42 for doing autox and hpdes. Havent picked a tire yet, but Im really leaning towards putting on yoko advan a052s as others seem to really like the performance and they are the spec tire in global time attack. Question, has anyone run 255/40 in these tires on 17x9s, if so any fitment issues?
17 M240i xdrive. Dinan springs.
The section and tread widths of that tire are 10.2" and 9.4". I've run a 9.2" tread-width 255/40-17 Toyo R888R at the track. Tire Rack doesn't list a section width for that tire. They're on Apex 17X9 ET42 wheels in the front. To fit them, the camber is -2.6° and the fenders are slightly rolled. The car has no spacers in front. I was told that they'd rub the fender liners, but that hasn't happened.

The last thing to know is that I'm running TC Kline single-adjustable coilovers in front. I recently saw two lists of coilovers. I don't recall if they were specific to the 2 Series or not, but the coilovers on one list offered a reduced amount of space available for the tires. IIRC, as an example, KWs were on that list; the Koni-based TCKs were on the list of coilovers that didn't impinge as much on space available for the tires.

I'm no expert in these matters, turning it all over to shops and just writing the checks, but I'm guessing the difference was how much the height-adjusters stick out at the bottom of the strut bodies. I haven't measured how close the tires sit to the strut, but they can be quite close without it being an issue.

I'm not sure how much that helps given that you've got an xDrive and, I'm guessing, no camber plates.

I'm running 255/35-18s in the rear. Again, no section width data but the tread width is 9.3". There's a lot more room back there; I think the principal fitment issue for wide and square tires is in the front.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 05:02 PM   #3
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
The section and tread widths of that tire are 10.2" and 9.4". I've run a 9.2" tread-width 255/40-17 Toyo R888R at the track. Tire Rack doesn't list a section width for that tire. They're on Apex 17X9 ET42 wheels in the front. To fit them, the camber is -2.6° and the fenders are slightly rolled. The car has no spacers in front. I was told that they'd rub the fender liners, but that hasn't happened.

The last thing to know is that I'm running TC Kline single-adjustable coilovers in front. I recently saw two lists of coilovers. I don't recall if they were specific to the 2 Series or not, but the coilovers on one list offered a reduced amount of space available for the tires. IIRC, as an example, KWs were on that list; the Koni-based TCKs were on the list of coilovers that didn't impinge as much on space available for the tires.
I'm surprised that the 17x9 ET42s fit up front for you with no spacers. Generally we recommend spacers with this setup as we've had feedback in the past that they are required even for guys running 245s. We have yet to do a test fitment in-house for these wheels though.

KWs definitely do limit inner clearance because of a variety of factors (conical spring shape, perch design et c). This goes for ST coilovers as well which are rebranded kws. Other brands that can limit inner clearance are BC racing and Ohlins road and track. Some of the Bilstein coilover setups limit inner clearance as well.

OP, thanks so much for the purchase. I'd love to see some shots of your setup once you have tire details finalized. Finally having concave wheels on the 2 series chassis is exciting for us.

-Tom
      09-30-2020, 06:11 PM   #4
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert@ApexRaceParts View Post
I'm surprised that the 17x9 ET42s fit up front for you with no spacers. Generally we recommend spacers with this setup as we've had feedback in the past that they are required even for guys running 245s. We have yet to do a test fitment in-house for these wheels though.
I'm going to guess then that the Koni HD-based single-adjustable coilover that TC Kline put on my car in front is an especially kind design when it comes to fitting the wider tires we all like so much.

I didn't measure the tire-to-strut clearance, but I do recall eyeballing it and it not being close to the point where you'd go "Uh-oh". It is close enough that the nibs on the 255/40-17 Toyo R888R left black lines on the strut body. That issue was strictly cosmetic, though.

Given that almost no one does or can afford to do test fitments, I wonder if the Koni-based kits that TC Kline sells are something that more 2 Series owners wanting to run wide wheels and tires should consider.
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2020, 07:28 PM   #5
K8_M235i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: CM E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert@ApexRaceParts View Post
I'm going to guess then that the Koni HD-based single-adjustable coilover that TC Kline put on my car in front is an especially kind design when it comes to fitting the wider tires we all like so much.

I didn't measure the tire-to-strut clearance, but I do recall eyeballing it and it not being close to the point where you'd go "Uh-oh". It is close enough that the nibs on the 255/40-17 Toyo R888R left black lines on the strut body. That issue was strictly cosmetic, though.

Given that almost no one does or can afford to do test fitments, I wonder if the Koni-based kits that TC Kline sells are something that more 2 Series owners wanting to run wide wheels and tires should consider.
I will be buying tc Kline's soon. I'm surprised my oem struts are still alive and well considering the amount of curb hopping I do.

I'm a big fan of tc products.
1998 S54 E36 M3 BMWCCA Club Racing #532 CM
1995 E36 M3 Sunbelt S52
Appreciate 0