THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Squeaky brakes at very low speeds

03-26-2018, 12:29 PM   #45
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Performance brake pads will sweak or squeal. You can't ask for max stopping power and still be silent and still be budget friendly. Porsche released an informational video on this topic.

It's sad to see the way the automotive industry is heading, and it's completely the consumers' fault. Ford has come out and said that they put in a brake pad with less performance because people will rate them lower for JD Power if the brakes produce too much dust. People talk about how BMW has gotten too soft and here we are, complaining about minor brake squeal at low speeds. People talk about how the handling isn't as good anymore and there are threads all over the place talking about ride comfort. People talk about not being able to hear the engine but complain about cabin noise. It's no wonder BMW is turning into a German version of Lexus.

In my opinion, if you want a quiet ride, get a Lexus or Infiniti or Cadillac or Volvo etc. But every time someone complains about a little bit of brake noise, or how their wheels are dirty because of brake dust, or how much road noise there is, or how the suspension is too stiff, they are ruining performance cars for people who actually can appreciate a performance car and understand that there is a comfort/performance trade-off.

Instagram: @Capt_and
Appreciate 3
Tpeterson156.50
Lancelot567.50
CP911985.50
      03-29-2018, 08:01 AM   #46
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_and View Post
Performance brake pads will sweak or squeal. You can't ask for max stopping power and still be silent and still be budget friendly. Porsche released an informational video on this topic.

It's sad to see the way the automotive industry is heading, and it's completely the consumers' fault. Ford has come out and said that they put in a brake pad with less performance because people will rate them lower for JD Power if the brakes produce too much dust. People talk about how BMW has gotten too soft and here we are, complaining about minor brake squeal at low speeds. People talk about how the handling isn't as good anymore and there are threads all over the place talking about ride comfort. People talk about not being able to hear the engine but complain about cabin noise. It's no wonder BMW is turning into a German version of Lexus.

In my opinion, if you want a quiet ride, get a Lexus or Infiniti or Cadillac or Volvo etc. But every time someone complains about a little bit of brake noise, or how their wheels are dirty because of brake dust, or how much road noise there is, or how the suspension is too stiff, they are ruining performance cars for people who actually can appreciate a performance car and understand that there is a comfort/performance trade-off.

Excellent post.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 09:21 AM   #47
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Didn't read the entire thread, and only looked at the last few posts, but the pads that come on our cars aren't performance pads, rofl. If you thought so, then you clearly don't know what track and performance-oriented pads feel like. The pads we get on these cars fade with just a few hard stops and their initial braking force is leaves a lot to be desired. They're decent for street use but comes nowhere close to anything performance/track worthy, and at this level, the squeals shouldn't really be present.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 11:04 AM   #48
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
Didn't read the entire thread, and only looked at the last few posts, but the pads that come on our cars aren't performance pads, rofl. If you thought so, then you clearly don't know what track and performance-oriented pads feel like. The pads we get on these cars fade with just a few hard stops and their initial braking force is leaves a lot to be desired. They're decent for street use but comes nowhere close to anything performance/track worthy, and at this level, the squeals shouldn't really be present.
It's all relative. My wife's X3 is silent but the stopping power is nowhere near the same as the 240i. My dad's 328i is also quiet but no stopping power.

The stock m235i/m240i pads barely squeak when coming to a stop while my carbotech/g-loc pads stop like hitting a brick wall but are like a thousand finger nails scraping down a mile of chalkboards until they heat up. My 911 squeaks more than my stock m240i pads but also stop better - but not as well as the carbotechs. There is a correlation but I am not saying that it's causality - just pointing out that there is in fact a correlation.

Instagram: @Capt_and
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 11:16 AM   #49
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Agreed, there's some correlation between noise and stopping power, for sure. You certainly can't have more stopping power without more heat and noise being generated.

But, what I'm saying is that our OE pads that do squeal (albeit it minor) don't perform at a level where that minor squeal would be acceptable, so people's complaints in this thread is justifiable or at least understandable.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 05:34 AM   #50
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

Funny - my m performance brakes started squealing recently (with winter temps i guess) but it doesn't bother me at all, perhaps you just shouldn't care so much?

Note that I cannot see how i could wake my neighbors with that though, perhaps noise is on a different scale in your case?
      12-05-2022, 11:42 AM   #51
lasiter
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska///235i View Post
That means no sliding pins (they always squeak if not greased)....
This is what worked on mine. SILICONE works the best.

https://blasterproducts.com/product/...oor-lubricant/
Appreciate 0