THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum can i go faster than my spedometer safely

01-25-2023, 09:20 AM   #23
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
Firstly per the info here: https://www.scottsdalemaserati.com/m...a-maserati-go/

A Ghibli of whatever flavor is a 180MPH car. Your 230i is not a 160mph car, factor in speedo error. If you understood power + gearing + aero - you would understand why it would be inherently unsafe for any 2 series to travel @ above 160 without proper aero.

I would suggest enjoy what you have, and get a lot of track time in to learn car control in a safe environment. Remember speed is not about pure power.
Ohlins R&T coilovers, Turner monoball thrust arms, F87 LCAs, GC camber plates, Superpro subframe bushings, Megan Racing adj. RCAs, delrin differential bushings. Stoptech BBK 6 piston (f) 4 piston (r).
Appreciate 2
      02-09-2023, 06:18 PM   #24
Gregoryb01
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xdrive Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turboswervo View Post
I was pushing 160 and i got walked by a ghibli going 190 something and i pulled up to the driver after and it was an old man (60 yrs) with racing gloves on that told me I need to be faster in order to try and show off.
Am i just fucking slow or is he a speed demon my speedometer only goes to 160 can i tune past that or what? Do i need a new instrument cluster? This all just happened if anyone wants the video dm me but help me please.
Seriously, do you even need to ask if that is safe? Is there actually some question about it within your mind? It’s beyond stupid and is definitely extremely dangerous to be driving those speeds on the street. You are a danger to yourself and other innocent people!

Last edited by Gregoryb01; 02-09-2023 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 06:26 PM   #25
Gregoryb01
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xdrive Convertible

Quote:
Can i say i am a good driver and i can handle those speeds or is there nobody that can handle those speeds out on a highway. Open road? Because I have this drive on video if anyone would care to take a look
You are not a safe or good driver to be driving those speeds on the street.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 07:22 PM   #26
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
is there nobody that can handle those speeds out on a highway.
No, there isn't, because highways in the USA aren't designed for that kind of speed. Want to drive at those speeds? Keep it to a track or the autobahn, which are constructed much differently than interstate highways.
Appreciate 1
aerobod3625.50
      02-09-2023, 09:05 PM   #27
2turboswervo
Rep
Drives: Bmw 230i xdrive convertible

Garage List
2018   [0.00]
bmw 230i convertib ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregoryb01 View Post
Seriously, do you even need to ask if that is safe? Is there actually some question about it within your mind? It’s beyond stupid and is definitely extremely dangerous to be driving those speeds on the street. You are a danger to yourself and other innocent people!
I never said it was safe and that wasnt my question! My question was will my car just say its going 160 on the speedometer while going faster or will it only get up to that speed. I only hit those speeds because the road was empty!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 05:11 PM   #28
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

The attorneys representing the estate of the deceased plaintiffs who sue the OP's estate after they are all gone one day will likely find this thread in discovery. If the OP has any assets, it won't be for long. As if we all needed one more reason to stay away from Florida these days...
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 05:35 PM   #29
2turboswervo
Rep

Garage List
2018   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
The attorneys representing the estate of the deceased plaintiffs who sue the OP's estate after they are all gone one day will likely find this thread in discovery. If the OP has any assets, it won't be for long. As if we all needed one more reason to stay away from Florida these days...
I really had no clue all the people on this forum could be so lame!! It’s wild to me everyone has had something to say except answer my original question. How many speeding tickets do you have? Because i mean i dont have any. Have you been stopped by a cop? Because i havent. Have you ever hit anything driving? Because i havent. Have you ever taken and given a look at the possibility that i did this on a stretch of road where i solidly drive everyday and know it like the back of my hand. Instead of shitting on someones parade go do something else. If you can answer my question than thank you but well nothing so far!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 07:10 PM   #30
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
To answer your original question, the 2-series are electronically limited to 130mph unless (at least for the 235/240) the car was ordered with summer tires, in which case the limit is increased to 155mph.

And I'm happy for you that you've yet to be pulled over or hit anything, but I doubt anyone on this forum has any respect for you if you think those speeds are safe or appropriate on a public road (I certainly don't). Driving a stretch of road every day doesn't mean jack; road conditions can change from one day to the next, be it deterioration, other hazards or other road users who are not as foolish. I just hope you don't take anyone with you when your luck runs out.

And please sell the 230 and buy some POS so you don't take a perfectly good car out with you.

For some background: A friend of mine in college was killed by her dumba$$ boyfriend who though he could drive his Porche the way you seem to think you can drive. His luck ran out one afternoon and he took her with him. Don't be that guy.

Last edited by harma24; 02-10-2023 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2023, 07:14 PM   #31
2turboswervo
Rep

Garage List
2018   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by harma24 View Post
To answer your original question, the 2-series are electronically limited to 130mph unless (at least for the 235/240) the car was ordered with summer tires, in which case the limit is increased to 155mph.

And I'm happy for you that you've yet to be pulled over or hit anything, but I doubt anyone on this forum has any respect for you if you think those speeds are safe or appropriate on a public road (I certainly don't). Driving a stretch of road every day doesn't mean jack; road conditions can change from one day to the next, be it deterioration, other hazards or other road users who are not as foolish. I just hope you don't take anyone with you when your luck runs out.

And please sell the 230 and buy some POS so you don't take a perfectly good car out with you.
So my car is apparently limited to 155 which is weird because i do have the 235/240. I guess my speedo was at 155 but i mightve thought it read 160. The car is in good hands as this is not my first. I truly hope one day you experience the beauty in pushing your car to the limit. Its pure enjoyment. Maybe not to all but some people do enjoy it. Some people enjoy cosmetic mods, some prefer speed, some prefer 0-60 times, some prefer drag racing, some like canyon driving. To each their own i hope you car respect that!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 08:32 AM   #32
Oltimer
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: EB M235i Vert

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
dude thoughts like this should b locked away in a box with all your other embarrassing thoughts and questions and buried deep in the back of your head never to see the light of day again!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 11:36 AM   #33
Mike F.
Nobody in particular
Rep
Drives: '20 M240i

Quote:
I truly hope one day you experience the beauty in pushing your car to the limit. Its pure enjoyment. Maybe not to all but some people do enjoy it. Some people enjoy cosmetic mods, some prefer speed, some prefer 0-60 times, some prefer drag racing, some like canyon driving. To each their own i hope you car respect that!
All true, to some degree or other, for everyone on this forum. We wouldn't be here if we didn't love driving high performance cars at high speeds. Most here are pretty opinionated about saving the really high speed and/or aggressive stuff for the track,though. drader's example of Highway 50 in Nevada is a very rare example of a public road in which you have miles of clear visibility, a good surface, and a pretty solid guarantee of no unexpected traffic (such as someone turning from a side road right in front of you). Any public road short of a place like that and you're putting yourself and others at risk no matter how good a driver you are, when you drive at the speeds you're talking about. There are 90 year old drivers who will completely miss the fact that you're on the road and move in front of you. Same with people on their phones or yelling at their kids or doing a million things besides paying attention to other cars. They can come out of nowhere. You have to accept some risk to drive on tracks as well, but it's a risk that you and others there have willingly taken. That's not the case when you're going 130+ on a public road. People of all ages who know they're great drivers kill themselves and others every day by not knowing their limits. If you really believe you're the one exceptional driver who's better than the rest, then prove it at the track. That will be far more satisfying than beating some old guy in a Ghibli.

Why were you trying to race a car like that, anyway? You had to know you were going to lose.
Appreciate 3
      02-11-2023, 11:43 AM   #34
2turboswervo
Rep

Garage List
2018   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F. View Post
All true, to some degree or other, for everyone on this forum. We wouldn't be here if we didn't love driving high performance cars at high speeds. Most here are pretty opinionated about saving the really high speed and/or aggressive stuff for the track,though. drader's example of Highway 50 in Nevada is a very rare example of a public road in which you have miles of clear visibility, a good surface, and a pretty solid guarantee of no unexpected traffic (such as someone turning from a side road right in front of you). Any public road short of a place like that and you're putting yourself and others at risk no matter how good a driver you are, when you drive at the speeds you're talking about. There are 90 year old drivers who will completely miss the fact that you're on the road and move in front of you. Same with people on their phones or yelling at their kids or doing a million things besides paying attention to other cars. They can come out of nowhere. You have to accept some risk to drive on tracks as well, but it's a risk that you and others there have willingly taken. That's not the case when you're going 130+ on a public road. People of all ages who know they're great drivers kill themselves and others every day by not knowing their limits. If you really believe you're the one exceptional driver who's better than the rest, then prove it at the track. That will be far more satisfying than beating some old guy in a Ghibli.

Why were you trying to race a car like that, anyway? You had to know you were going to lose.
I like your reasoning and i am glad you take somewhat of my position into consideration. So its a funny story i wasnt trying to race the ghibli. I had actually decided to just go for a drive before i got new tires put in and i said i might as well record it. And im recording just wanted to go for a drive i wasnt even fully pressing it i was going gradually on the pedal as i felt comfortable and when im going 110 this ghibli accelerates and just cuts in front of me and starts pulling on me. And i mean i was just doing what i had been doing kept speeding up and when i got to the 150+ the guy kept literally walking away. It just surprised me how he made me look like I wasn’t even going 80. I knew i had no chance and i pulled next to the guy and we had a talk while driving. It was some grown man wearing racing gloves. I just found it incredible how cars can do that. Then i was thinking about getting my car tuned and i said hmm if i tune it would i need a bigger cluster. Or what will happen. And thats where my post started.
Appreciate 1
Mike F.103.00
      02-12-2023, 10:44 AM   #35
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
I was pushing 160 and i got walked by a ghibli going 190 something and i pulled up to the driver after and it was an old man (60 yrs) with racing gloves on that told me I need to be faster in order to try and show off.
Am i just fucking slow or is he a speed demon my speedometer only goes to 160 can i tune past that or what? Do i need a new instrument cluster? This all just happened if anyone wants the video dm me but help me please.
My M235i is governor-limited to 155 MPH. Perhaps your car is too?

That said, even 155 is insane.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2023, 03:09 PM   #36
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Just use your GPS enabled phone to track speed... Or buy a good GPS unit stand alone... Done!
Appreciate 0