THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Do M235/240 M sport brakes require coding when retrofitted on a 230

10-01-2022, 11:22 PM   #1
BHR388
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw

Do M235/240 M sport brakes require coding when retrofitted on a 230

I have a 230i with the standard gray one piston calipers when upgrading to the 340/345mm front and rear rotors with blue calipers from a m235/240 will the car require any coding mentioned in the m performance 370mm rotor package

and are the rear dust shields, 4 rotors, and calipers all thats needed for the swap
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 08:04 AM   #2
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I don't have direct experience w/ this swap, I bought the MPerformance BBK instead (was actually cheaper than rebuilt blue brakes at the time; so this is just my understandig of things). AFAIK, you will need to recode your car to the blue brakes, but I think it would be another option (should be a standard option, same as they would have used if your car came with the MSport package that had those brakes stock). The brake situation on these cars was jacked up by poor documentation/naming, so be very sure that your calipers match the desired rotor size - the caliper bodies are either identical or so close you can't tell, except for the rotor diameter (just the mounting foot length changes). Best to get a full set of calipers from the same car, and verify rotor size right there (or look up part #'s to be sure). Here are some of my old links from when I was looking into this myself (I think you need new brake lines, perhaps a few other parts). Check out the MPBBK instructions for how they do the dust-shield swap by cutting and joining the new ones on, instead of a full R&R - my dealer 'went by the book' for replacing the rear dust shields and dismantled the entire rear end instead (at my expense); for a home mechanic you'll not have the tools to set it back up properly. Yes, I just about lost it when I finally found this instruction set and learned how easy it could have been. Also can't say enough good things about Zeckhausen Racing for brake advice and parts. My pad choice remains the Ferodo DS 2500 for a great dual-use pad. Best wishes for the build.

Turner page on different options:
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/f/t...ke-differences

thread w/ discussion, 235 stockers seen to be fully adequate
https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...&highlight=228
Attached Images
File Type: pdf F2x F3x M Perf BBK installation instructions.pdf (398.2 KB, 28 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 05:50 PM   #3
BHR388
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I don't have direct experience w/ this swap, I bought the MPerformance BBK instead (was actually cheaper than rebuilt blue brakes at the time; so this is just my understandig of things). AFAIK, you will need to recode your car to the blue brakes, but I think it would be another option (should be a standard option, same as they would have used if your car came with the MSport package that had those brakes stock). The brake situation on these cars was jacked up by poor documentation/naming, so be very sure that your calipers match the desired rotor size - the caliper bodies are either identical or so close you can't tell, except for the rotor diameter (just the mounting foot length changes). Best to get a full set of calipers from the same car, and verify rotor size right there (or look up part #'s to be sure). Here are some of my old links from when I was looking into this myself (I think you need new brake lines, perhaps a few other parts). Check out the MPBBK instructions for how they do the dust-shield swap by cutting and joining the new ones on, instead of a full R&R - my dealer 'went by the book' for replacing the rear dust shields and dismantled the entire rear end instead (at my expense); for a home mechanic you'll not have the tools to set it back up properly. Yes, I just about lost it when I finally found this instruction set and learned how easy it could have been. Also can't say enough good things about Zeckhausen Racing for brake advice and parts. My pad choice remains the Ferodo DS 2500 for a great dual-use pad. Best wishes for the build.

Turner page on different options:
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/f/t...ke-differences

thread w/ discussion, 235 stockers seen to be fully adequate
https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...&highlight=228

yes the M performance clearly states coding, what are they coding and how much do they charge?

im confused now seeing you first link its saying the blue calipers also are 370mm front rotors i thought that the M sport not M performance where 340mm in the front on a m235 or m240
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 07:32 PM   #4
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Hre's another link. I think M sport was 370, base is 340. Being able to run 17" wheels is a real good thing on track, so the 340's have that advantage. With decent pads, any of these are adequate; even those base brakes would work with real track pads.

https://www.bimmerworld.com/About-Us...-Brakes/#M235i
Appreciate 0