THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) chrome window trim restoration

07-27-2023, 08:36 PM   #1
Artdnj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 X30i

chrome window trim restoration

Any tips how to bring back the shine to my faded, somewhat pitted look window trim? Pitted may be the wrong term but it looks matte and dull, pretty terrible actually. Is cleaning this up possible?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 08:00 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

they make liquid chrome like paint for plastic trim.

my friend with a 21 year old 5-series ordered new plastic-chrome trim pieces and rubber door seals.
Appreciate 1
Artdnj394.00
      07-28-2023, 02:39 PM   #3
Artdnj
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by overcoil View Post
they make liquid chrome like paint for plastic trim.

my friend with a 21 year old 5-series ordered new plastic-chrome trim pieces and rubber door seals.
Hmmm not sure how I feel about paint was hoping for an easier restoration product like chrome cleaner or something which I haven't tried yet. I have thought of replacement pieces but I heard it's quite difficult to get at least one piece off requiring dismantling something in the process. thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 02:46 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artdnj View Post
Hmmm not sure how I feel about paint was hoping for an easier restoration product like chrome cleaner or something which I haven't tried yet. I have thought of replacement pieces but I heard it's quite difficult to get at least one piece off requiring dismantling something in the process. thank you
I checked on YouTube and I also didn't like the pen or paint application.

On my friends 5-series the window trim at the base of the windows, he said dealer wanted $300 to replace but his independent shop dod to for a lot less.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 02:58 PM   #5
Artdnj
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by overcoil View Post
I checked on YouTube and I also didn't like the pen or paint application.

On my friends 5-series the window trim at the base of the windows, he said dealer wanted $300 to replace but his independent shop dod to for a lot less.
The car is so well taken care of but the chrome trim around the windows looks dull and oxidized. I would think it's cleanable but so far I have tried was, certain cleaners, but not chrome cleaner like Brasso or Bar Keepers Friend. Maybe i'll try those and then consider replacing if it bothers me enough which it may.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 03:51 PM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The car is so well taken care of but the chrome trim around the windows looks dull and oxidized. I would think it's cleanable but so far I have tried was, certain cleaners, but not chrome cleaner like Brasso or Bar Keepers Friend. Maybe i'll try those and then consider replacing if it bothers me enough which it may.
double check but chrome polish are notoriously abrasive.
On motorcycle chrome exhaust WD-40 is better then lets say Mothers Chrome Polish.
think on real chrome you are not supposed to coat them with wax.

think these trims are not real chrome but plastics with a chrome look alike coating.

also even with plastic on new cars particularly not garaged you need to embrace the natural fading of certain materials. I had a Mercedes and used 303 Protectant on the window trim and used a car cover but it still changed color over the years.
Appreciate 1
Artdnj394.00
      07-28-2023, 05:32 PM   #7
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Most shiny BMW trim is anodized aluminum, not chrome. The various metal polishes don't seem to provide a lasting result. An inexpensive option is to wrap it with matte black vinyl.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 1
overcoil3073.50
      07-28-2023, 07:49 PM   #8
Artdnj
Captain
United_States
Rep

Just tried wd40 on a microfiber and in about 45 sec the trim looks like new. I'll see how long it lasts (assuming very short term) but it looks brand new for the moment.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 01:47 PM   #9
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Just tried wd40 on a microfiber and in about 45 sec the trim looks like new. I'll see how long it lasts (assuming very short term) but it looks brand new for the moment.
Until the first rain! Then you'll also need to get the WD-40 off your paint.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0