THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning JB4 Processor chip replacement HELP

04-13-2016, 09:20 PM   #1
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

JB4 Processor chip replacement HELP

Guys,

Has anyone replaced the processor chip in a JB4 before?

After troubleshooting with Jon at Burgertuning, he believes that the processor chip is faulty, rendering the JB4 unable to connect via the DB9.

Super helpful and accommodating, he'll be sending out a new chip to install into the circuit board.

Any of you guys have experience doing this?

If so, please let me know "how to" and or "tips".

It sounds easy, but just making sure:

- open the JB4 case
- take out the circuit board
- remove the processor chip with small flat screwdriver
- press the new chip in, careful not to bend the prongs

Thanks Y'all!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 10:06 PM   #2
skitsos
Police Magnet
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i (F22)

Actually, very easy procedure. The main chip comes out pretty easily. Just get a thin pry tool (thin flat head screwdriver worked for me), and slowly work the chip out. It's just clipped in the socket it is held into. Then after that is out just pop the new chip in place.

I had to do this because my JB4 interface would not recognize the JB4 unit, itself. My computer recognized when it was plugged in, alerting me, and the COM was set up right, but the interface would say something along the lines of "JB4 not found". Tried different computers, cables etc. replacing the chip didn't work either, lmao, but since I had the experience, I'll share it. Ended up having to get a whole new JB4 board sent out to me, but that did the trick.

Edit: also, OP, I'm afraid that replacing just the chip, might not work... You seem to be in the same situation I was in. I knew all along that the whole board needed to be replaced, but BMS wanted to troubleshoot with the small things first, which took a while. I'm just saying, at the end of the day, you will most likely end up with a new board, which hopefully is replaced, for free, by BMS, like mine was. My JB4 unit was almost brand new though (bought from XPH). BMS is very helpful though, and for my convenience, they sent me the whole new JB4 board with a return box, before I had to send my defective unit back.
      04-13-2016, 10:22 PM   #3
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitsos View Post
Actually, very easy procedure. The main chip comes out pretty easily. Just get a thin pry tool (thin flat head screwdriver worked for me), and slowly work the chip out. It's just clipped in the socket it is held into. Then after that is out just pop the new chip in place.

I had to do this because my JB4 interface would not recognize the JB4 unit, itself. My computer recognized when it was plugged in, alerting me, and the COM was set up right, but the interface would say something along the lines of "JB4 not found". Tried different computers, cables etc. replacing the chip didn't work either, lmao, but since I had the experience, I'll share it. Ended up having to get a whole new JB4 board sent out to me, but that did the trick.

Edit: also, OP, I'm afraid that replacing just the chip, might now work... You seem to be in the same situation I was in. I knew all along that the whole board needed to be replaced, but BMS wanted to troubleshoot with the small things first, which took a while. I'm just saying, at the end of the day, you will most likely end up with a new board, which hopefully is replaced, for free, by BMS, like mine was. My JB4 unit was almost brand new though (bought from XPH). BMS is very helpful though, and for my convenience, they sent me the whole new JB4 board with a return box, before I had to send my defective unit back.
Dude, awesome, succinct, personal response. I think my issue is just like yours. I need this solved ASAP, got a meth kit installed and can't test it out until the JB4 is "found" by laptop or my JB Connect.

Well, Jon said something about:

"...being careful to install it in the same orientation that the old one was in. There is a small semicircle near the large 25-pin connector on the board and that needs to go in the same place when you install the new one..."

What is this semicircle?

Thanks so much. Guys like you, Luminous , starvmarv , ocN55 really keep the forum helpful.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 10:37 PM   #4
skitsos
Police Magnet
United_States
Rep

I don't believe I remember any type of "semi-circle" with the chip replacement. Really all I did was examine to see if the chips have any cosmetic differences. Mine had no differences between the two. Then I took pictures of the board with the current chip, before removal, to have specific reference, to make sure the new chip is installed the exact same way, with no silly mistakes. I also examined both the chips side by side, just to see if there's anything that stands out, as to why the problem was occurring. Thing is, I couldn't place the issue with the chip alone, since the issue was still acting up, after the chip swap. This all ended up with a whole new board finally being sent to me, which resolved the problem.

I hope your issue is resolved quickly man! I understand your level of frustration, as I have gone through it. It seems to be a very isolated situation though, because I remember doing countless hours of searching online, only to find nothing. I hope this helps you, and if anyone else has this issue, they find this thread, for guidance. Good luck with your build!
      04-13-2016, 10:43 PM   #5
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitsos View Post
I don't believe I remember any type of "semi-circle" with the chip replacement. Really all I did was examine to see if the chips have any cosmetic differences. Mine had no differences between the two. Then I took pictures of the board with the current chip, before removal, to have specific reference, to make sure the new chip is installed the exact same way, with no silly mistakes. I also examined both the chips side by side, just to see if there's anything that stands out, as to why the problem was occurring. Thing is, I couldn't place the issue with the chip alone, since the issue was still acting up, after the chip swap. This all ended up with a whole new board finally being sent to me, which resolved the problem.

I hope your issue is resolved quickly man! I understand your level of frustration, as I have gone through it. It seems to be a very isolated situation though, because I remember doing countless hours of searching online, only to find nothing. I hope this helps you, and if anyone else has this issue, they find this thread, for guidance. Good luck with your build!
Thanks so much man. I really want this bitch to go fast! Having all the bolt ons and the meth kit in there....it's like a crackhead jonesing.

Maybe Mods should make this sticky...
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2016, 09:27 AM   #6
Poboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

The semi circle is on most chips and is used for orientation, that or a dot in a corner. It would be odd if the chips they are using have no visual orientation reference other than the text.
Appreciate 2
      04-14-2016, 09:35 AM   #7
skitsos
Police Magnet
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poboy
The semi circle is on most chips and is used for orientation, that or a dot in a corner. It would be odd if the chips they are using have no visual orientation reference other than the text.
If that's the semi-circle that was referred to you, OP, then that is most likely it. Thinking back to when I did the chip swap, I remember seeing that half-circle indent on one of the edges of the chip, for a better indication for orientation.
      04-14-2016, 10:33 AM   #8
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Awesome! Thanks so much guys! This is exactly what I needed.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 10:57 AM   #9
Poboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

It sounds like they used a riser/socket for easy insertion/removal. If so it should have a matching indent.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2016, 04:34 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Let us know if this fix your issue or if you are going to need the whole board to be replaced

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 04:56 PM   #11
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Let us know if this fix your issue or if you are going to need the whole board to be replaced
Thanks, Mike. Will do. So far Burger has been really helpful. The next step is to send back the board. I hope that they can send a replacement if that's the case.

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 07:50 PM   #12
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all of your help guys! I just replaced this chip and got the BT connect working again.

Also, kudos to Jon F at Burger!
Appreciate 0