THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications LED Conversion Questions

02-24-2021, 04:47 PM   #1
HootisTigglebits
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i & BMW 330e

LED Conversion Questions

I'm getting a 2016 M235i this Friday and have a few questions about switching to exterior LED's.
  1. The low beams are incandescent, correct?
  2. Are there any recommended low beam LED's on Amazon.com?
  3. Do I need CANBUS or can I use any LED as long as I code for it after the swap?
  4. Can anyone recommend some tail light LED's on Amazon.com?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 10:38 AM   #2
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Dont know about headlights, never researched it.

As for the rest, the ECU will check each bulb for outages at startup, and then every 5 to 10 min as you're driving. The way it does this is by sending a quick pulse to each bulb to make sure there is no break in the circuit. An incandescent doesnt have time to light up, but an LED will flash. So canbus or not you will want to code your car not to send the bulb checks. For that reason canbus is a waste of money as the non-canbus is cheaper. But now you have to invest in coding.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 04:26 PM   #3
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I just installed LED bulbs in halogen housings. You definitely need to have canbus error free LED bulbs or else you will get flickering or error messages. Alternatively, you can code out the bulb check as mentioned above. I went with the canbus led bulbs.
      05-14-2021, 11:36 AM   #4
POMFKIMOCHI
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6MT/RWD EBII

I grabbed a bunch of cheap leds of ali and had some mixed results. I was rushing the esys coding (my laptop was on limited battery) and am not sure if i somehow caused this, but whenever I'm applying brake pressure, the taillight leds will begin flickering, but when theyre running otherwise, no issues? (for example, rear daytimes, signals, reverse lights, all fine just when i brake and the red get brighter, they start flickering) I may have fucked up the coding and somehow limited the voltage of rear brake lights whem they need the 2 intensity modes? I have since attempted to remedy it by coding over with bimmercode (didn't have access to it at the time of esys coding) but to no avail. Anyone experienced anything similar? (flickering on red tails only when applying brake)
Appreciate 0