THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Texas is experiencing its coldest temperatures in 32 years **No Politics**

02-24-2021, 06:57 AM   #111
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
If you know what you are doing with home electrical systems, you can inexpensively add a portable generator to power the house during emergencies. If you have easy access to the breaker panel from outside, say through a window, you can make a male-to-male 240V, 80-amp extension cord for the generator and back-feed the panel through a NEMA plug wired into the panel.

Far less expensive than an automatic standby generator system and works almost as well. Eliminates extension cords running all over the house. This set up lets you choose which house circuits to power AFTER you SHUT the MAIN switch OFF (to prevent back-feeding the electrical grid). I've run my house for days at a time that way.
We have a similar set up but permanent / set up by an electrician. Our large portable (17.5 kw) generator plugs into a connector that is wired to a separate panel through the garage wall. In order to use the generator power you have to flip power source from Main / electric grid to generator to power this panel only. When running on main power both panels are powered. Happily have only used it once in 10+ years but it worked well and powers everything essential including one central ac, one water heater, refrigerator, stove, most lights and ceiling fans, etc. Getting / storing gasoline isn’t much fun and it isn’t as easy as an automatic standby but it cost 90% less than digging up the yard for propane tanks and getting a standby generator. So not a bad option at all.
I had a manual bypass put in w/ when we had our house built a few years ago. It isn't a high amperage one but can handle the fridge, family room, 2nd floor HVAC, sump pump, and water heater. It'd be nice to have some more outlets or rooms covered but it's better than nothing. There's an outside NEMA connection under our 'deck' (4'x6' landing...).Certainly amongst the best $250 I've ever spent since I've actually had to use it.

We unexpectedly lost power for ~3 days last August during some choice, hot, humid weather. I picked up a 10kW (peak) portable generator (Generac) from CostCo, anchored it to our deck support, and fired it up. Loud (although not too bad inside the house) and it required a top off before work, after work, and maybe before bed but worth it to have slept and lived comfortably (air conditioning!), not have food spoil, and for the wife to not miss a beat working from home.
      02-24-2021, 07:23 AM   #112
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
I had a manual bypass put in w/ when we had our house built a few years ago. It isn't a high amperage one but can handle the fridge, family room, 2nd floor HVAC, sump pump, and water heater. It'd be nice to have some more outlets or rooms covered but it's better than nothing. There's an outside NEMA connection under our 'deck' (4'x6' landing...).Certainly amongst the best $250 I've ever spent since I've actually had to use it.

We unexpectedly lost power for ~3 days last August during some choice, hot, humid weather. I picked up a 10kW (peak) portable generator (Generac) from CostCo, anchored it to our deck support, and fired it up. Loud (although not too bad inside the house) and it required a top off before work, after work, and maybe before bed but worth it to have slept and lived comfortably (air conditioning!), not have food spoil, and for the wife to not miss a beat working from home.
That’s how I think about it. Aside from the cost of install, the cost of running a standby generator on propane to power the whole house like nothing happened is very high. We went through 3 hurricanes in 2 years in the 2005-2006 range so I studied this then. We wanted at least one ac, fridge and some lights / outlets. My wife insisted on water heater too and having stove and coffee maker is nice, but not essential with the grill available. The only issue with the larger portable is fuel consumption but like I said, we have used it once (knock on wood). Reasonable investment for the security it provides. We now have a condo in NC so if it gets bad here we’ll escape to there but still nice to have generator to run for a few days if necessary given frequency of hurricanes and tropical storms here.
bosstones1144.00
      02-26-2021, 08:08 AM   #113
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That’s how I think about it. Aside from the cost of install, the cost of running a standby generator on propane to power the whole house like nothing happened is very high. We went through 3 hurricanes in 2 years in the 2005-2006 range so I studied this then. We wanted at least one ac, fridge and some lights / outlets. My wife insisted on water heater too and having stove and coffee maker is nice, but not essential with the grill available. The only issue with the larger portable is fuel consumption but like I said, we have used it once (knock on wood). Reasonable investment for the security it provides. We now have a condo in NC so if it gets bad here we’ll escape to there but still nice to have generator to run for a few days if necessary given frequency of hurricanes and tropical storms here.
Not sure how it compares to LP prices but, yeah, it wasn't cheap for gas either. Like you said, though, totally worth it for the rare need.
      02-26-2021, 08:33 AM   #114
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not sure how it compares to LP prices but, yeah, it wasn't cheap for gas either. Like you said, though, totally worth it for the rare need.
I am doing this from memory so maybe I mis-remember, but I recall a 25kW - 30kW generator using 4 gal of LP / hour and the price at that time was around $2.50 / gallon, so $10 / hour. $10 x 24 x 7 = $1,680 / week if running at full capacity. When I looked at our usage in the summer, I think I guesstimated something like $1,000 - $1,200 / week in normal use. And it didn't make sense to me to make the investment and not use it so if we put it in, that's what I expected the cost to be to use it.

The other issue was tank size. I believe they only fill the tanks to 80% capacity so we were looking at a 1,000 gallon tank getting buried in our front yard. Then if burying something like that in the yard, you start thinking about running the propane inside for cooking, dryer and water heaters and outside to the BBQ and a pool heater and the project gets very expensive, very quickly. It would be nice to have and if money were no object, I'd probably do it. But, in our case, we didn't want to spend the money.
      02-26-2021, 08:36 AM   #115
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
I am doing this from memory so maybe I mis-remember, but I recall a 25kW - 30kW generator using 4 gal of LP / hour and the price at that time was around $2.50 / gallon, so $10 / hour. $10 x 24 x 7 = $1,680 / week if running at full capacity. When I looked at our usage in the summer, I think I guesstimated something like $1,000 - $1,200 / week in normal use. And it didn't make sense to me to make the investment and not use it so if we put it in, that's what I expected the cost to be to use it.

The other issue was tank size. I believe they only fill the tanks to 80% capacity so we were looking at a 1,000 gallon tank getting buried in our front yard. Then if burying something like that in the yard, you start thinking about running the propane inside for cooking, dryer and water heaters and outside to the BBQ and a pool heater and the project gets very expensive, very quickly. It would be nice to have and if money were no object, I'd probably do it. But, in our case, we didn't want to spend the money.
The new home I'm building there is no natural gas supply, so I have to put in a propane tank if I want gas, and while going that route - might as well do everything you mentioned. Kind of a benefit of building a new home just after this fiasco. I've learned something about really nice looking faucets that will not drip properly, instead leak all over the counter and floor. Won't be using those in the new home for sure!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 08:54 AM   #116
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
The new home I'm building there is no natural gas supply, so I have to put in a propane tank if I want gas, and while going that route - might as well do everything you mentioned. Kind of a benefit of building a new home just after this fiasco. I've learned something about really nice looking faucets that will not drip properly, instead leak all over the counter and floor. Won't be using those in the new home for sure!
If I were building a new home, I think it would be a lot easier to justify for all the other stuff, with the generator being the added benefit. In our case, we needed to dig up an existing yard, pull up driveway pavers, run gas lines, replace appliances, etc. We were trying to justify the generator and tank by adding the other stuff, but that was backwards.
MKSixer34171.50
      02-26-2021, 01:38 PM   #117
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
If I were building a new home, I think it would be a lot easier to justify for all the other stuff, with the generator being the added benefit. In our case, we needed to dig up an existing yard, pull up driveway pavers, run gas lines, replace appliances, etc. We were trying to justify the generator and tank by adding the other stuff, but that was backwards.
You bury the tank??? That might have protected our cabin tank from getting knocked off its platform by the falling tree.

Sadly (or not) the deck didn't survive the fall, and now we have a brand new one made of synthetics that never needs staining
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 04:12 PM   #118
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
You bury the tank??? That might have protected our cabin tank from getting knocked off its platform by the falling tree.

Sadly (or not) the deck didn't survive the fall, and now we have a brand new one made of synthetics that never needs staining
HOA says no above ground tanks.
      02-26-2021, 04:53 PM   #119
JJ 911SC
Crusty Old Navy Chief
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 1983 911SC

Garage List
Quote:
HOA says no above ground tanks.
So much from being Free of Goverment Regulation
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 05:52 PM   #120
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ 911SC View Post
So much from being Free of Goverment Regulation
Well technically not government regulation... more like a group of Karen's regulating.
Appreciate 6
RickFLM410882.00
vreihen1614901.50
MKSixer34171.50
Murf99314114.00
Efthreeoh16946.00
      02-26-2021, 07:24 PM   #121
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
You bury the tank???
Common practice in Florida.....
      02-26-2021, 07:32 PM   #122
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Well technically not government regulation... more like a group of Karen's regulating.
This.

HOAs are the debbil!!!
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 4
kscarrol8784.50
chassis6373.50
vreihen1614901.50
      02-26-2021, 08:19 PM   #123
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
This.

HOAs are the debbil!!!
My last subdivision was new construction. I made sure to be on the rules committee and do the bulk of the wordsmithing. That certainly prevented some pre-Karenasic period, draconian rules from being drafted. Thankfully, the lawyer for the property management firm was sane as well. I also may have also left some loopholes in some of the rules, too...
      02-26-2021, 08:21 PM   #124
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My last subdivision was new construction. I made sure to be on the rules committee and do the bulk of the wordsmithing. That certainly prevented some pre-Karenasic period, draconian rules from being drafted. Thankfully, the lawyer for the property management firm was sane as well. I also may have also left some loopholes in some of the rules, too...
That's my evil plan too - to get on the committee, so I can approve my house plans LOL
Appreciate 2
bosstones1144.00
MKSixer34171.50
      02-27-2021, 05:50 AM   #125
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
That's my evil plan too - to get on the committee, so I can approve my house plans LOL
This is what my father in law did - specifically head of architecture. It wasn’t a week later he started adding to his driveway, new stairs for the deck...
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
bosstones1144.00
      02-27-2021, 07:53 AM   #126
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
This is the plan I executed in my old neighborhood. My masterstroke was turning down the presidency when it was offered. "I'm just here to serve as a grunt but I appreciate the kind confidence you are showing in me. It is very humbling". This guaranteed any suggestion I made went through pretty easily. I helped to gut all of the draconian measures the previous busy bodies developed.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.

Last edited by MKSixer; 02-27-2021 at 09:26 AM..
Appreciate 1
bosstones1144.00
      02-27-2021, 08:10 AM   #127
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
This is what my father in law did - specifically head of architecture. It wasn’t a week later he started adding to his driveway, new stairs for the deck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
This is the plan I executed in my old neighborhood. My masterstroke was turning down the presidency when it was offered. "I'm just here to serve as a grunt but I appreciate the kind confidence you are showing in me. It is very humbling". This guaranteed any suggestion I made went through pretty easily. I helped to gut all of the draconian measures the previous busy bodies.
My thoughts exactly. There's only 19 lots in this place so I'm hoping it's not a 10 member HOA - aiming to get on the architectural committee as I have to bend their rules a bit - with 8 garage doors it's hard to have them not face the road.
Appreciate 3
bosstones1144.00
MKSixer34171.50
      02-27-2021, 09:26 AM   #128
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
My thoughts exactly. There's only 19 lots in this place so I'm hoping it's not a 10 member HOA - aiming to get on the architectural committee as I have to bend their rules a bit - with 8 garage doors it's hard to have them not face the road.
This is the way.
Appreciate 1
UncleWede17878.50
      02-27-2021, 09:33 AM   #129
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is it a new development with one builder? I think in that situation there may not be a homeowner-managed HOA until the development is done and the project / common areas are titled over to the HOA.
      02-27-2021, 01:37 PM   #130
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is it a new development with one builder? I think in that situation there may not be a homeowner-managed HOA until the development is done and the project / common areas are titled over to the HOA.
No - it's a land developer handing the HOA over to the new land owners once 85% of the lots are sold - they've sold 18, 1 is under contract, so it's time to hand over. There's only 2 homes on lots completed currently, including the original homestead.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      03-01-2021, 06:31 AM   #131
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Brazos (Waco) just filed for bankruptcy protection. The fallout is landing.
Appreciate 0