THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Active Tourer Discussions Best oil and no DEF???

01-29-2020, 08:41 AM   #1
Zerpersande
Rep
Drives: BMW 218d

Best oil and no DEF???

Just got a 2018 218d with 12,000 km on it. I’ve been checking on what oil to use and it seems that for the temps here in Osaka, Japan that a 5W-40 in the summer and a 5W-30 in the winter would work well. And as long as it is a C3/LL-04 oil. Seems Valvoline Max Guard and Svelt Euro C3 fits the bill. Comments?

Also, while looking for oil I found a YouTube clip about topping up the DEF at oil changes. I can’t find anything that looks like a DEF tank, although there does seem to be a covered spout next to the fuel cap. Maybe BMW no longer needs DEF?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 09:13 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Don’t u have an owners manual in the iDrive ?
And wouldn’t that have info on the diesel additive?

Wow, Japan...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 05:44 PM   #3
Zerpersande
Rep
Drives: BMW 218d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Don’t u have an owners manual in the iDrive ?
And wouldn’t that have info on the diesel additive?

Wow, Japan...
I downloaded the BMW Driver’s Guide app and then selected the Series 2 Active Tourer as the vehicle. The info thus far has matched up with the car’s system. But I’ll try the iDrive in the car.

Yeah, there are several shockers about driving in Japan. Narrow roads get your attention. Getting a license, (if you have to go through the full process), is a long, expensive, extremely exacting process. Yet on the roads traffic enforcement of the proactive type is essentially nonexistent here in the Kansai area. So driver’s run stop signs, park in the road, talk on phones, and swing wide at turns.

But life in general is good. I have no intention of returning to the States. Been here about 30 years. Thinking about renouncing my US citizenship and dying as a Japanese citizen. But that process is akin to getting a driver’s license.
Appreciate 0