THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum adaptive M suspension 230 x-drive?

02-15-2020, 11:05 AM   #1
Rollo`
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

adaptive M suspension 230 x-drive?

I am planning on purchasing a pre-owned 2 series later this year and am leaning toward the 230 xdrive.

In my preliminary searches it seems there are very few 230 xdrives with the track handling package available, even searching nationwide. None within driving distance for me to test drive.

How important is that suspension to the handling of that particular model? Anyone driven that car with and without track handling that can chime in?

thanks...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 02:19 PM   #2
gosi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240

I’m not sure what track handling package includes, but imo a 2 series with a powerful engine needs the sport seats, M brakes and sport suspension, adaptive or otherwise, to be a good sports car. Also the sport automatic if you’re going down that route.

I own a M240 with adaptive and while some say that it transforms the car, I doubt I would even notice if someone pressed the button in secret without me seeing. It’s rough in any case, just slightly less so in comfort. If I was buying again I wouldn’t mind the passive dampers.

Comparing it to my e92 with passive sports suspension subjectively I’d say the e92 had less body roll and was slightly stiffer and less comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 09:00 AM   #3
Rollo`
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosi View Post
I’m not sure what track handling package includes, but imo a 2 series with a powerful engine needs the sport seats, M brakes and sport suspension, adaptive or otherwise, to be a good sports car. Also the sport automatic if you’re going down that route.

I own a M240 with adaptive and while some say that it transforms the car, I doubt I would even notice if someone pressed the button in secret without me seeing. It’s rough in any case, just slightly less so in comfort. If I was buying again I wouldn’t mind the passive dampers.

Comparing it to my e92 with passive sports suspension subjectively I’d say the e92 had less body roll and was slightly stiffer and less comfortable.
Don't all of the M240s come with adaptive suspension and Mbrakes?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 09:02 AM   #4
gosi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240

MBrakes yes, adaptive I’m not sure. I was cross shopping eith M235’s and I know those don’t all have adaptive, at least in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 12:55 AM   #5
230iZTR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Signal Orange wrapped 230i THP

The adaptive suspension is standard on all m240i models (even the x-drive). That said, it is *not* standard on the 230i models. There are 4 suspension kits available - standard (static), sport (m-sport package, static), adaptive (track handling package, dynamic), and m-performance (dealer-installed, static, discontinued?).

I thought the standard suspension was meh, the m-sport suspension was fine, the adaptive suspension is what I ultimately went with, and the m-performance suspension is what I would have added (or gone with 3rd party aftermarket coilovers) if I had gotten a used car with the standard suspension instead of ordering one to spec.

Imho, it's got to be m-sport or THP if you're a regular street-driving BMW enthusiast. The standard suspension is for the furthest ends of the spectrum: non-enthusiasts just happy to lease a generic luxury car, or track rats immediately throwing the standard suspension in the trash for KW ClubSports or similar.
Appreciate 1
Rollo`124.00
      02-18-2020, 08:17 PM   #6
Rollo`
Captain
Rep

Thanks for that informative reply. Considering that I also want m-sport and lighting package I may end up just getting the 240 instead.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 08:54 PM   #7
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230iZTR View Post
The adaptive suspension is standard on all m240i models (even the x-drive).
This is true for the US, not necessarily elsewhere, for example it a £515 standalone option in the UK on all 2-series Coupes from the 218d to the M240i. The US is generally an anomaly in the world when it comes to both BMW model availability (or lack of most of the model range in terms of engine choices) and how the cars are configured.
Appreciate 0