THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum CPO Warranty Reality - Charge Pipe

02-12-2020, 11:47 AM   #1
chadjamesr
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

CPO Warranty Reality - Charge Pipe

Short story: BMW CPO warranty sucks! Replace your charge pipe with a metal one.

Long story below:

I hate for my first post to be a rant, but I figured I would share my experience with others that have or are thinking of buying a BMW.

Last year I was in the market for a daily driver that would be more fun to drive to work. My requirements were to be small, so it fit in my garage, have a manual gear box because rowing your own gears is the definition of fun, and be under a 5 second 0-60 car as I didn't want something that a mini van could outrun. After searching the M235i seemed to fit the bill. I found a CPO 2016 M235i basically fully loaded with 34k miles and paid $28k for it.

As for the car, it is just about everything I could have wanted. Has enough power, manual transmission, small enough to fit in the garage but large enough to be a practical daily driver. I typically grab the keys to my m235i over my truck and my 911. I think this car is a hidden gem in the car industry considering the cost and driver satisfaction.

As for the bad part, when I bought the car I insisted on finding a CPO car knowing that BMW doesn't have the best reliability. I did my research and knew of known problems, like the charge pipe, but figured the CPO warranty would keep me on the road and if I decided to keep the car longer then the warranty, then I would address these issues before hand so that I wouldn't get stranded. My first experience with the CPO warranty was a surprise as I didn't know you had to pay $50 for each warranty service. So the CPO warranty is really a warranty with a $50 deductible. Not a big deal, but also not anything I've experienced from other companies (only experience with Porsche). So I had them look at the IDrive that had a sticky switch and some trim that was falling off. Their response was it was wear and tear and wasn't covered. Great, out of $50 and still had to fix myself. I guess my expectation was that buying a CPO car everything would be working 100% correctly when I took purchase. I now consider this a learning experience about buying out of state sight unseen.

This brings me to today, about 9 months of ownership. Driving down the interstate at around 65mph, I push the throttle down about half way an hear a pop. First thought it my mind, charge pipe. Sure enough I stop at where I'm going, and see that the charge pipe broke off the intake.

No big deal, put the charge pipe back on by hand and drive to the local dealer to get fixed under warranty. Fast forward to this morning where the dealer calls me and tells me they can't fix the charge pipe under warranty as the CPO warranty doesn't cover any plastic parts in the car. SAY WHAT!!! Yeah, so that warranty I had really doesn't cover much at all. For some reason I thought that the CPO warranty covers the same things that the original warranty covers.

This has really changed my mind about BMW. Yes, they make great cars. No they don't stand behind them. If you plan to buy one, factor in the cost of BMW not standing behind their product or warranty. I guess this is why the resale is below average.

Moving forward I plan to keep my car for another few years. I'll do the charge pipe and inter-cooler upgrade so that I don't get stranded in the future and I'll also be pro-active on any other issues as I know my warranty isn't worth much. Half the parts in car are made of plastic and none of them are covered. I still love the car, but I can't see buying another one with the current attitude of BMW.

So for those of you thinking about not worrying about your charge pipe because it is under warranty, you might want to think about that again. My car only has 41k miles on it now and was being driven in 50 degree weather when it blew. I live in GA, so no extreme hot or cold climate. I wasn't under full boost when it failed and the car is 100% stock.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 12:13 PM   #2
kschwiggy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Conv.

That sounds crazy.... Did they show you anything in the written policy as a basis for denying the repair?

I don't see anything in here that excludes the charge pipe: https://cpo.bmwusa.com/Content/docs/...NotCovered.pdf

Maybe plastic trim parts aren't covered, but the charge pipe is a non-consumable piece of the engine. It isn't a wear-and-tear part either.

Did you try another dealership?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 12:33 PM   #3
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Talked to my BMW Richmond VA service manager about getting Down pipe added and the cheap Chargepipe. He said best to switch out chargepipe at same time (we knew that).

I have a 2016 235i CPO, he says if it blew stock its covered, if I added the Downpipe, he'd have more difficult time but would work for me. (actually injectors bigger concern)

But maybe including under the following:

https://cpo.bmwusa.com/Content/docs/...NotCovered.pdf

rubber engine and heater coolant hoses, vacuum hoses (including clamps and connectors); tires;

Call the BMW complaint number, weak they wouldn't cover a known item

Last edited by 4Hockey4; 02-12-2020 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 12:40 PM   #4
chadjamesr
Rep

Thanks for the heads up guys! I'll reach out to BMW USA tomorrow to confirm. Flying out of country tomorrow for some R&R. Luckily this isn't my only car so no problem to let the m235i sit while I work things out. I'll keep this thread updated with my findings.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 10:30 AM   #5
Isoleucine
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Based on the specific list of CPO exclusions, the charge pipe should 100% be covered by the CPO warranty. A charge pipe is not a coolant hose or a vacuum hose, and in fact it's the opposite - it contains pressurized air. Your dealership is confusing the CPO not replacing rubber parts in the engine and claiming that means it doesn't cover a plastic charge pipe as well. A sticky switch should also be covered, though loose trim pieces would not be covered.

You've been going to an awful dealership that's refusing valid warranty work. I would strongly recommend taking the car somewhere else in the future that will actually bother to read the details of the CPO warranty instead of being lazy.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 07:12 AM   #6
FCBuff
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: '16 M235I XDrive

Sounds like terrible dealer service to me. I could understand if modified, but stock...should be covered. CPO is a different animal though, and I would never recommend the maintenance plan!
      02-15-2020, 07:29 AM   #7
jjt17
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 135is, M235i

My car is CPO. My charge pipe was covered. However they covered it under the emissions warranty and I had no deductible. But they said CPO would have covered. They used emissions warranty to save me the deductible. They covered towing it about an hour to the dealer as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 09:25 PM   #8
mcompact
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

When I worked at my local BMW dealer we looked for ways to help the customer; unfortunately, some dealers take the opposite tact- looking for ways to deny coverage...
1999 Wrangler Sahara
1995 318ti Club Sport
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      02-17-2020, 09:14 AM   #9
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Every one of these I've had has had the charge pipe blow in hot weather.

Even under CPO, being such a huge common fail item, it should definitely be covered.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 02:40 PM   #10
Hap
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 240i

Garage List
2018 M240i  [0.00]
Warranty’s

My 48 months is about up and will have no warranty ? So does any one buy an extended warranty or just take your chances ? Or get a new car ? Just curious when read stories like this. I can replace the charge pipe don’t need dealership but the stranded on the side of road part I wouldn’t like much. I am 63 and have never been stranded with a vehicle in my entire life....Bmw is going to change this for me ? I hope not
Hap
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 03:38 PM   #11
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hap View Post
I can replace the charge pipe don’t need dealership but the stranded on the side of road part I wouldn’t like much.
That argues for changing it now to one of the aftermarket upgraded units.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 01:54 AM   #12
theWibbler
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i, 08' 128i vert

side note, does anyone think CPO would cover faulty ignition? Got stranded in the middle of nowhere today for 6 hours, got an error message "Ignition/starter malfunction".
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 01:29 PM   #13
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

CPO should have 100% covered this. I'd call BMWNA and log a complaint
      02-18-2020, 02:20 PM   #14
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

When I had my F30 the charge pipe blew itself practically in half, CPO covered it 100%. I also didnt have to pay a dime for it. That was the first and last time id ever buy a used car though... i dont like not knowing what a car has been through before it was mine.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 02:46 PM   #15
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

My car is still under the original warranty but I blew my CP and it was replaced for free and I have Dinan Stage 2. Wasn't even a discussion the dealer came and got my car on a flatbed, fixed it, returned it on a flatbed no questions asked. I did not even have to leave my house.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      02-20-2020, 09:30 PM   #16
oooseun
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i '15

My exhaust flap broke and CPO didn't cover that. So yeah, 'CPO' is useless to me. I'd rather save my money and buy used.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 08:54 AM   #17
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I had an E46 ZHP, and it developed the "VANOS rattle". I had CPO and left it with the dealer while I went on vacation. When I got back, they said they didn't fix it because they needed to first replace the "oil dipstick" or something and that wasn't covered by the CPO. I find ALL 3rd party warranties thoroughly useless, including the CPO garbage which you pay a HUGE premium for.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 12:11 PM   #18
chadjamesr
Rep

Finally got to follow up on this as I was on vacation and then came down with the Flu.

After talking with BMW USA, they reminded me that my car still has 3 months of the original warranty and that the charge pipe is defiantly covered under the original warranty. I called the dealership, Global Imports in Atlanta, and told them this and they apologized and said they would have it fixed by the end of the day. On a side note they said the coolant needed to be changed as it didn't test well. Not sure if they are just a dealership trying to make money off service or if it really needs it (2016 car with 41k miles). Either way, I'm not giving them my business.

I did call BMW USA back to clarify if the charge pipe was covered under the CPO warranty. We went through the long list of things that are not covered under the CPO warranty that would have been covered under the original warranty. Anyone who thinks they are "safe" with a BMW CPO warranty should read this list first. Even the customer service rep was surprised about how much is not covered. At the end of the day, it did look like the charge pipe is not excluded, but no where does it state that it is included. I feel this is just a legal way that allows BMW to have a lot of gray area to deny claims. Anyways, BMW USA said that if I run into a similar issue again with the CPO warranty to give them a call and they will try to resolve. I give the customer service agent a A for trying to help but I give BMW a F for failing to take care of the customer. With a know issue on the N55 of the charge pipe failing, it should be front and center no questions asked covered under warranty to keep your customers happy. I work with national brands and it is a no brainier to take care of customers on known issues so that you don't piss off your customer and their 100 social media followers.

Thanks for everyone's comments. I still plan to keep my M235i at least until it gives me problems again. I'll be a little more proactive on known issues so that I don't have to rely on the CPO warranty for the next year. Overall the M235i is still supposed to be very reliable and as long as it doesn't become a problem I'll keep it in my garage. My idea to upgrade to a M2C is shot though. At these price points there are other companies that are much more willing to go our of their way to keep their customers happy. It is too bad though, as the car is a great car. Maybe BMW will hire a CEO that puts customers first.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 02:27 PM   #19
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadjamesr View Post
On a side note they said the coolant needed to be changed as it didn't test well. Not sure if they are just a dealership trying to make money off service or if it really needs it (2016 car with 41k miles). Either way, I'm not giving them my business.
Smart on your part.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 02:34 PM   #20
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
After talking with BMW USA, they reminded me that my car still has 3 months of the original warranty and that the charge pipe is defiantly covered under the original warranty.
Wow, what a bunch of shysters. They should have very well known the car was still under full warranty. Either they are incompetent or deceitful, but either way, I would stay FAR away from them going forward.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2020, 02:33 PM   #21
Isoleucine
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
At the end of the day, it did look like the charge pipe is not excluded, but no where does it state that it is included. I feel this is just a legal way that allows BMW to have a lot of gray area to deny claims.
The CPO warranty does not have a list of what it covers, it only has a list of exclusions that it does not cover. If it is not on the list of exclusions, then it is covered by the CPO warranty. Because the charge pipe does not appear on the list of exclusions, it is covered by the CPO warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 04:23 PM   #22
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
At these price points there are other companies that are much more willing to go our of their way to keep their customers happy. It is too bad though, as the car is a great car.
I get that you're upset, but please name me a car company that makes performance cars that doesn't have some type of history of giving people the run-around when problems happen. I spend way too much time on various auto forums and there are horror stories everywhere. Audi, VW, Ford, GM, Nissan, Subaru, and BMW are all pretty good at giving owners hell sometimes or placing the blame elsewhere.