THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Should I be concerned about this? (CPO M240i xDrive)

02-10-2020, 07:34 PM   #45
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
I mean its obvious they milk it sure.

As far as oil light goes though, I have gotten the warning before, oil at minimum. This was different, it was a RED warning light that oil was BELOW minimum and to stop the vehicle as soon as possible, but then shortly it went away before I even had a chance to stop. So I knew that they had replaced the VCG recently, and took it in as a precaution. That's when they pulled the engine, and just replaced everything they could think of.

I am just saying, I wouldn't be too worried about it from buying a car that has had a lot of warranty work done. Dealer will throw parts at the problem quite easily. Akin to when I went in for a rattle, and they replaced the whole door panel.

As for other questions, I do not have an aftermarket warranty, BMW offers several versions of their warranty, and different lengths/mileages.

Silver
Gold
Platinum
CPO
CPO Elite

Silver and Gold I believe are basically the same as CPO and CPO elite. Platinum covers everything gold does + Electronics (Nav etc).

I ended up going for the 7yr/100k warranty, as I would hit the years significantly sooner than the mileage. But I have heard them offer up to 8 years on some cars?

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 12:23 PM   #46
Isoleucine
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
I ended up going for the 7yr/100k warranty, as I would hit the years significantly sooner than the mileage. But I have heard them offer up to 8 years on some cars?
The standard CPO warranty is 5 years from original date of service with unlimited mileage. They then offer extensions beyond that under their CPO Wrap program.

The catch with the CPO Wrap is that the exact details of the CPO Wrap vary from dealership to dealership, and dealerships are required to offer it on all their vehicles. If cars require service under the CPO Wrap program it costs the dealership who sold the CPO Wrap extension a certain amount of money each time warranty repairs are required. Basically it gives dealerships the opportunity to make a gamble that their car will last to the end of their CPO Wrap without requiring too many repairs to cancel out the almost pure profit they got from selling a CPO Wrap in the first place.

That's the way it was explained to me anyways, and what I could find elsewhere seems to back that up (the CPO Wrap options I was offered were different from the CPO Wrap options I've seen posted online by other dealers). The CPO Wrap appears to only be available at the time of purchase and was offered to me as up to a 4 year extension (9 years from original date of service) that would cover up to a total of 125,000 miles.

Beyond that, it appears anyone can purchase a standard BMW Extended Service Contract that goes up to 7 years from original date of service/100,000 miles at any time while your car is still under the original warranty (new car or CPO warranty). That has 3 different levels of protection, but if you're only under CPO warranty currently (>50,000 miles or >5 years) you can only buy the most expensive option.

Regardless of those warranty options, I'm not too concerned for my personal situation. The longest I've kept a single car in my life up to now is 2 years, so if any issues or concerns arise within that timeframe I wouldn't mind getting a different vehicle after the warranty is up. I'll also put enough miles on the car (30,000-50,000 a year) that I will have most likely found any lingering issues before the warranty is up since I drive my cars the way they were meant to be driven - like a sports car. I took delivery last Monday evening at 30,420 miles and this morning I hit 31,000 despite snowfall keeping me home over the weekend, so I'm well on pace for the same kind of driving as usual.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 11:29 PM   #47
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoleucine View Post
The standard CPO warranty is 5 years from original date of service with unlimited mileage. They then offer extensions beyond that under their CPO Wrap program.

The catch with the CPO Wrap is that the exact details of the CPO Wrap vary from dealership to dealership, and dealerships are required to offer it on all their vehicles. If cars require service under the CPO Wrap program it costs the dealership who sold the CPO Wrap extension a certain amount of money each time warranty repairs are required. Basically it gives dealerships the opportunity to make a gamble that their car will last to the end of their CPO Wrap without requiring too many repairs to cancel out the almost pure profit they got from selling a CPO Wrap in the first place.

That's the way it was explained to me anyways, and what I could find elsewhere seems to back that up (the CPO Wrap options I was offered were different from the CPO Wrap options I've seen posted online by other dealers). The CPO Wrap appears to only be available at the time of purchase and was offered to me as up to a 4 year extension (9 years from original date of service) that would cover up to a total of 125,000 miles.

Beyond that, it appears anyone can purchase a standard BMW Extended Service Contract that goes up to 7 years from original date of service/100,000 miles at any time while your car is still under the original warranty (new car or CPO warranty). That has 3 different levels of protection, but if you're only under CPO warranty currently (>50,000 miles or >5 years) you can only buy the most expensive option.

Regardless of those warranty options, I'm not too concerned for my personal situation. The longest I've kept a single car in my life up to now is 2 years, so if any issues or concerns arise within that timeframe I wouldn't mind getting a different vehicle after the warranty is up. I'll also put enough miles on the car (30,000-50,000 a year) that I will have most likely found any lingering issues before the warranty is up since I drive my cars the way they were meant to be driven - like a sports car. I took delivery last Monday evening at 30,420 miles and this morning I hit 31,000 despite snowfall keeping me home over the weekend, so I'm well on pace for the same kind of driving as usual.
So the extended warranties are sold by BMW of NA not dealerships. The coverages do not vary dealer to dealer, they are set by BMW of North America, as all repair work goes to them for approval. So unless the dealers are trying to pass on their own kind of third party program, you can buy your extended warranty from any dealer, also the Certification process for CPO is also recognized by BMW of NA. While there are varying coverages, any dealer that gives you a BS story that coverage varies by dealer, is being shady as hell.
      02-12-2020, 11:17 AM   #48
Isoleucine
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
While there are varying coverages, any dealer that gives you a BS story that coverage varies by dealer, is being shady as hell.
The dealer didn't tell me that coverage varied, I just compared the coverage they offered me to coverages that I found listed on websites for other dealers. Multiple of the websites I found disagreed with one another as well. It seems there's either a lot of misinformation or a lot of old information on extended warranties available online on BMW dealer websites.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 03:04 PM   #49
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoleucine View Post
The dealer didn't tell me that coverage varied, I just compared the coverage they offered me to coverages that I found listed on websites for other dealers. Multiple of the websites I found disagreed with one another as well. It seems there's either a lot of misinformation or a lot of old information on extended warranties available online on BMW dealer websites.
Trust primarily BMW of NA descriptions. Some dealers might be using older documents that weren't updated.