THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Customized BMW Add on blind spot mirrors

02-17-2020, 03:40 PM   #1
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: drei BMWs

Customized BMW Add on blind spot mirrors

Hi all,

I originally posted this over in the F30 forums as a 3 series owner. It has gotten a lot of interest and I figured I would post here, as it might be interesting to 2 series owners. I also posted this in the 5 series, X1 and X2 forum and figured I'd share here, as well. A number over users over there seemed to be very appreciative of this new find, so I figured I'd share here too.

This all started a few weeks ago when I bumped into a guy at Costco and noticed the unique mirrors on his 3 series. Turns out he is the designer of this brand new product.

Here is the link to my original post: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1690558

Here is my original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAudi2BMW View Post
I have a crazy story for my fellow BMW enthusiasts. How do you know you are getting old? Many of your stories start with the other day I was going to Costco...

I live in the Encinitas area of North San Diego and as you can tell, I frequent Costco Carlsbad. Anyone who knows Costco Carlsbad knows it is a wasteland of huge SUVs crammed into spots that are small for a Mini Cooper. But I can't get enough, especially the yogurt (please bring back the chocolate and vanilla swirl).

When I was parking I was glad to see a nice and clean BMW parking next to an open spot. I knew I'd be safe as long as they were there, right?. A younger guy was getting out and I said to him nice car (we both were mineral gray). He laughed and said thanks, and that was when I noticed his mirrors.

He had these blind spot mirrors that fit like a glove and looked factory-like. I have blind spot mirrors on my RAM and I love them. I've rented Ford cars with the built-in ones and loved having those too. I've looked for something that did not look terrible but have never found anything stick on.

I asked this guy about them (Andy) and he said he owns a few businesses. He just started a new one and he actually makes them for that exact reason. He said he started messing with them this past summer and eventually went all-in with a full on company to do it. We were talking for a bit and he was telling me he has had a set on his car for a few months testing and tweaking. He sent a few to friends and family in other states too. I was the first person to ever ask though.

He gave me a set and said give them a try and if you like them, please send me some feedback. I have had them for a few weeks and I love them. I am the first testimonial on his site. He was a nice kid!

I had an X2 loaner about a month ago that these would have been awesome on. Boy was that thing hard to see out of.

Here is the website for anyone interested: https://*********************

Now for the chocolate and vanilla swirl yogurt?

Edit / update: I received a promotional email from this company with a coupon code valid for the month of February. 15% off for anyone interested. NEWUSER15

Edit again, finally got some pics!!

Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS

Last edited by VWAudi2BMW; 03-02-2020 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
KennyFSU1104.00
      02-18-2020, 07:47 AM   #2
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
Maybe it's just me but I never liked the "picture in picture" effect it causes but at least those aren't as obnoxious as the universal ones.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 07:58 AM   #3
AllwaysLow
Objects in mirror are slow
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive

Garage List
      02-18-2020, 08:51 AM   #4
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

The standard European split-field mirrors that BMW fits work better than a stick on mirror, not having the mirror border that can obscure object detail or objects in the distance.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 08:52 AM   #5
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F22 230i MSport

I adjust my mirrors as shown in the video above and am able to see both left and right blind spots readily. I’ve shown my wife and daughter this but both seem to prefer seeing the sides of the car they are driving - for them, this blind spot mirror would be helpful. For me, thanks but no thanks.
In the picture by OP, if the rear view mirror was adjusted outward more so the sides of his car was not visible, the other car in the blind spot would be full center on the rear view mirror.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 09:12 AM   #6
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

With the side mirrors adjusted out to not replicate the view in the rear view mirror combined with split-field driver mirror and Euro convex passenger mirror (more convex than the North American one), there should be no blind spots even when cars are alongside, so no turn of the head is theoretically needed to give a full 360 view.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 09:24 AM   #7
morriscat
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F22

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
With the side mirrors adjusted out to not replicate the view in the rear view mirror combined with split-field driver mirror and Euro convex passenger mirror (more convex than the North American one), there should be no blind spots even when cars are alongside, so no turn of the head is theoretically needed to give a full 360 view.
So, what, can I just order some Euro-spec mirrors from Germany or something and fit them?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 10:03 AM   #8
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

As I posted in your other thread and as others are noting here, set your mirrors correctly and you won't have any blind spots.

harma24402.50
      02-18-2020, 10:05 AM   #9
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown View Post
I adjust my mirrors as shown in the video above and am able to see both left and right blind spots readily. I’ve shown my wife and daughter this but both seem to prefer seeing the sides of the car they are driving - for them, this blind spot mirror would be helpful. For me, thanks but no thanks.
Yeah, it took my wife a while to adjust to this arrangement, but now she swears by it.
      02-18-2020, 11:14 AM   #10
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
As I posted in your other thread and as others are noting here, set your mirrors correctly and you won't have any blind spots.
And as I replied to you, I set my mirrors as shown but there is still a blind spot. You are also shifting the mirrors away from your car, which crates other blind spots for parking and other types of maneuvers. As you can see from my pics, and feel free to click for larger views, you have a much extended view.

You don't have to like them or buy them, but it is also not right to simply discount them as useless for others. I am not part of the company and I get nothing for this. I just really like them and I get value from using them. If it helps other members, they like them, or drive safer with them, that is a bonus. We are all on the same team here, I'm not trying to push the merits of a Toyota. These are custom made for our BMW cars.

As I showed you in the other thread, I took pictures both ways. The pictures can speak for themselves. The white van is in the blind spot behind the drivers door. There is still a blind spot both ways. In fact, it is more useful to use these extended view with the mirror positioned 'properly' further out. As you can see, you get a better view of the car and blind spot that way, vs just more of the car.

I have used the stick on ones that are not customized and they are just terrible. These are not like those. The shape and curvature is customized for our mirrors. Beyond that, the base the mirror sits in is also angled into the blind spot. This is the same way the built-in ones integrated into Ford, Toyota, Hyundai, my Ram work.

They don't have to be your cup of tea, but they are very useful and also a very nicely made USA based product.
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 4
Moflow2484.50
makrop151.00
Mehim76.50
Miata1387.00
      02-18-2020, 11:31 AM   #11
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

I have mine set in such a way where I see 90% without repositioning my upper body. The remaining 10% (blind) I simply lean forward and I can then see into that general "blind" area.

A lot has to do with your level of flexibility, though.. If I had a keg sized gut that would make this much more difficult
      02-18-2020, 12:04 PM   #12
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
I have mine set in such a way where I see 90% without repositioning my upper body. The remaining 10% (blind) I simply lean forward and I can then see into that general "blind" area.

A lot has to do with your level of flexibility, though.. If I had a keg sized gut that would make this much more difficult
I'm 6' tall and 156 pounds so no gut. People have been asking me if I'm sickly , no just fit and slim...

Last week I was driving in an area that is very curvy and hilly similar to the pics I posted. Coming around the curve, an SUV just went onto the road without seeing who was coming around (me). This is a 55 mph road, and steeply downhill I was doing probably 60-65 honestly

With the quickest of glances into my mirror, I could quickly see no one was next to me. These extended view are actually pretty decent size. My puppy was in the backseat in his crate. I move the front seat back to kind of lock it in. I flew over into the next lane hard enough to fling his crate over into the other seat even though it was well in place.

We also did not smash into a Yukon XL Denali at 50+ MPH and there is NO WAY I could have turned my head or repositioned my body that quickly. We are talking split second glance then quickly moving over. There is also NO WAY I would have seen in that area for sure without these. As you can see in my pics, even with the mirror out much further, there is still enough area to hide a mini van. 10% or whatever you want to call it, it is still a blind spot.
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      02-18-2020, 12:25 PM   #13
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriscat View Post
So, what, can I just order some Euro-spec mirrors from Germany or something and fit them?
Yes, ECS sometimes has them in the US, I ordered mine from Schmiedmann in Denmark (www.schmiedmann.com) for my 2017 M240i, the part numbers are:

MIRROR GLAS, HEATED, WIDE-ANGLE, LEFT -- 51167284999
MIRROR GLAS HEATED CONVEX RIGHT -- 51167285000

At the moment about USD$250 from ECS (with left one on backorder) and USD$200 from Schmiedmann (in stock)

These are not the auto dimming ones (they are a lot more expensive), just the heated ones.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 12:38 PM   #14
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

This is a low-cost item/alternative at $29 shipped with the current discount. I just ordered a set and can decide on arrival how I like them. If you go to their site, be sure to scroll down far enough to find the 2 Series version.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 2
      02-18-2020, 12:50 PM   #15
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
This is a low-cost item/alternative at $29 shipped with the current discount. I just ordered a set and can decide on arrival how I like them. If you go to their site, be sure to scroll down far enough to find the 2 Series version.
please let us know! For me the difference between these and the crazy BMW ones went into a BM3 tune!!

I can both see much better and go much faster
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 01:24 PM   #16
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

If you don’t want OEM mirror glass, aftermarket is a lot cheaper at about USD$25 for the pair, plus shipping:

https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/produ...ct=51167284999
https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/produ...ct=51167285000
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 01:25 PM   #17
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Yes, ECS sometimes has them in the US, I ordered mine from Schmiedmann in Denmark (www.schmiedmann.com) for my 2017 M240i, the part numbers are:

MIRROR GLAS, HEATED, WIDE-ANGLE, LEFT -- 51167284999
MIRROR GLAS HEATED CONVEX RIGHT -- 51167285000
Don't you need to remove a solder connection for the heated stock ones to install these? Meaning if you don't like them it's not plug and play to revert to stock without getting out the soldering iron?

I didn't look that closely but I had to pull my mirrors to do the OEM CF caps and I believe there was one plug connection and one solder.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 01:48 PM   #18
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Don't you need to remove a solder connection for the heated stock ones to install these? Meaning if you don't like them it's not plug and play to revert to stock without getting out the soldering iron?

I didn't look that closely but I had to pull my mirrors to do the OEM CF caps and I believe there was one plug connection and one solder.
My mirrors both used a pair of push-on spade connectors, mine are heated only, so this may differ for auto dimming glass. The only tricky bit is using the right trim tool to pop the old mirror off without breaking it and ensuring the new one is pushed in the correct place to pop on to the mount to avoid cracking it.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 01:59 PM   #19
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I removed my passenger mirror on my truck and it cracked. I have done this many times, putting it all the way up and carefully using proper plastic trim tools. It is dimming and made by Gentex like the BMW. That was a $400 goof!!

Also if your mirrors are dimming and you go to just heated, I believe it may throw a code.

Sticking these on is obviously MUCH easier.
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS

Last edited by VWAudi2BMW; 02-18-2020 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 05:33 PM   #20
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
For under $30, I bit. Where I live, that's the price of two cheap glasses of wine.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 01:32 PM   #21
TINY BMW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xDrive Convertible

I actually imported them from Europe. No more looking over the shoulder for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 01:41 PM   #22
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

First off, there can be no blind spot on the driver's side. If you hit something there, it's just because you didn't look properly or over your shoulder as you should be.

Secondly, if the passenger side mirror is positioned correctly, there shouldn't be an issue there either. Especially if you turn your head as well.

Situational awareness is important, being aware of cars as they approach and where they are, looking before you leap... I never understood those little mirrors as to me, they are more a distraction than help.

Just me, I know
Appreciate 0