THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Oil Changes

05-22-2019, 10:05 AM   #23
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
Curious if you track junkies out there are sticking to BMW recommended LL-01 FE 0W-30 for track use or if you are using something else based on past experiences, pro advice, hearsay, etc.

I changed the oil in my M240i for the first time last week in preparation for a HPDE track event this past weekend. Changed it myself in the garage and it was super easy. Car only had 2500 miles on it, but was still running the original oil from a year ago when I took delivery of the car. The "perform engine oil service" indicator just came on a couple of weeks ago, obviously due to the time that had gone by rather than actual mileage. I just don't drive it much...

Anyways, I went with the recommended BMW LL-01 FE 0W-30. Now I'm wondering if this is providing enough protection under track conditions, but I suppose I have no reason to doubt BMW knows what is best for their own engines. After all, the oil temp only varied less than +9 degrees F from normal operating temp. If they've managed to keep oil temp this under control even under track conditions, what advantage would running a thicker oil really have? I'm thinking none... What say you guys?
I track my car. I change the oil and filter after every other track event. I use LiquiMoly 5w30 TopTech 4200 oil and a dealer filter. The oil is LL01FE certified. And, unlike the oil from the dealer, the LiquiMoly oil is a true synthetic oil. The dealer oil is made of polymer chains from oil from the earth which are broken down and then assembled to create the "synthetic" oil. LiquiMoly is synthesized from man-made polymers.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 10:36 AM   #24
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
I track my car. I change the oil and filter after every other track event. I use LiquiMoly 5w30 TopTech 4200 oil and a dealer filter. The oil is LL01FE certified. And, unlike the oil from the dealer, the LiquiMoly oil is a true synthetic oil. The dealer oil is made of polymer chains from oil from the earth which are broken down and then assembled to create the "synthetic" oil. LiquiMoly is synthesized from man-made polymers.
Appreciate the insight. Can you share with me any documentation on the LiquiMoly oil being LL01FE certified? Unlike the list of LL01 certified oils I copy and pasted above, the only LL01FE certified oil BMW lists as an "approved oil" is the following:

Named approved oils
Trade name Viscosity Producer
Agip 7007 SAE 0W-30 ENI S.p.A. Refining & Marketing Division

Never heard of this particular brand, but note it is also 0W-30. I don't see 5W-30 associated anywhere with the BMW LL01FE certification.
      05-23-2019, 11:08 AM   #25
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Named approved oils

Never heard of this particular brand, but note it is also 0W-30. I don't see 5W-30 associated anywhere with the BMW LL01FE certification.
It's Italian.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 02:44 PM   #26
Unicorn123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

Quote:
Appreciate the insight. Can you share with me any documentation on the LiquiMoly oil being LL01FE certified? Unlike the list of LL01 certified oils I copy and pasted above, the only LL01FE certified oil BMW lists as an "approved oil" is the following:

Named approved oils

CP911

Here is a link to the guide on the LiquiMoly website:

https://www.liqui-moly.com/en/servic...048c3e744fe78/

The guide is for the M235 and lists all of the lubricants for the car including the engine oil. It does not list the M240 but I expect it is applicable as it is BMW approved.

Ironically, I use this in my Wife's X5 4.4l (the 5W-40). Perhaps I should get off of my Mobil 1 obsession and switch for the M235. Probably will...

Good luck.

Retired (a few of them...), 08 E60 550i 6M, 01 Audi S4, 70 Fiat 124, 88 E28 M5, 72 Datsun 510 2Dr, 73 TR6
Appreciate 1
CP911985.50
      02-16-2020, 06:18 AM   #27
Hap
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 240i

Why so complicated

I am new to the BMW car thing. Came from BMW 2 wheel machines. I have a 2016 M235i and I really am enjoying my first BMW car. But this oil thing is very confusing to an old garage mechanic who has always changed my own oil.
Car is only driven in season and stored for dec-mar. I also live 100 miles from a BMW dealer. So is there any oil good old Walmart may sell that would be good enough for this car ? I have always used Mobil One in about alll machines and now I have a machine that cant use that. Kind of Crazy in my view.
Thanks for your input I like to learn .
Hap
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 07:53 AM   #28
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hap View Post
I am new to the BMW car thing. Came from BMW 2 wheel machines. I have a 2016 M235i and I really am enjoying my first BMW car. But this oil thing is very confusing to an old garage mechanic who has always changed my own oil.
Car is only driven in season and stored for dec-mar. I also live 100 miles from a BMW dealer. So is there any oil good old Walmart may sell that would be good enough for this car ? I have always used Mobil One in about alll machines and now I have a machine that cant use that. Kind of Crazy in my view.
Hap
I'm still in under warranty for the next couple months and change my oil every 5K miles, so basically I do every other oil change at home. I just order BMW oil and filter online a week or two before doing the change. It's generally about $70 a shot. I'll probably just keep doing the same thing after I'm out of warranty.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 09:47 AM   #29
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hap View Post
Hap
Buy an oil that carries one of the following:
- BMW LL01
- BMWLL01FE
- BMW LL14.

The last oil was sold for diesels only as US diesel fuel has been ultra-low sulphur for years. Now, all gas sold in the US is ultra-low sulphur, also. Buy only Mann oil filters. Do not buy any aftermarket oil filter. There have been threads on other BMW forums showing how aftermarket oil filters do not hold up as well as Mann filters. Btw, Mann provides oil filters to BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 11:43 AM   #30
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

No true hard data on oils, but I avoid W'mart for anything that requires true quality. They specifically work with suppliers to provide cheaper alternatives, making adjustments at the factory. For example, In the past, this meant tires that never got the final inspection (allow the end users to do that, and offer a free return policy - saves them about 10% in profits). Would not want that for my oil, as there is too much you can mess with in terms of additives that I'd never know to even ask about. And it isn't that expensive if you order kits ahead from the online vendors.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 12:04 PM   #31
Hap
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ok

Ok fair enough
I can order the kit and just use bmw oil and filter.
I guess it ain’t that hard.
I was asking about Walmart just as a local place to buy a oil that would work.
Not insisting I buy it there.
Thanks
Hap
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 12:36 PM   #32
ljason8eg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

If your Walmart stocks Castrol 0w-40 European Formula that will work fine in our cars. Amazon carries it too - had it on sale for $19 for 5 quarts a couple weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 03:15 PM   #33
Hap
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah

I am guessing anything that states Europe on label is going to meet specs?
$ 19 for oil is way different than ordering a $80 change kit.
More options
Hap
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 04:36 PM   #34
Unicorn123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

Hap et al,

I agree with folks who are not Walmart fans; however, if you do your own oil changes, you cannot beat their prices on quality motor oil.

BMW approved Castrol Edge Full Synthetic is sold at Walmart in a variety of viscosities for a very reasonable price. As has been noted previously, they also sell Mobil 1 in a wide range of viscosities as well; however, Mobil 1 lost their BMW approval a few years back. I still use it but for those of you who insist on BMW approved fluids, Mobil 1 no longer qualifies...

I currently am running Castrol Edge 5W-40 LL-01 approved oil from Walmart in my M235 with the Mann filters. I am an old school maintenance follower and since my M235 is my DD, it gets changed every 5000 miles even though my driving is about 90% highway and 100 miles a day. I change my oil every 10 weeks or so.

If I was still living in Upstate NY, I would likely have stuck with Mobil 1 0W-40 for the low temperature viscosity benefits with the turbocharged engine. Connecticut does not have the -20F mornings I experienced there so 5W-40 is fine.

My two cents...

Retired (a few of them...), 08 E60 550i 6M, 01 Audi S4, 70 Fiat 124, 88 E28 M5, 72 Datsun 510 2Dr, 73 TR6
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 11:23 AM   #35
seansurfn2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I keep my cars forever also, the OEM filters are very solid.
eh thats not entirely true.. stock oem filters even can contract a bit thus losing a bit of oil pressure.. i use a reusable metal filter now and i notice at startups it doesnt hesitate as much and feels smoother
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 11:41 AM   #36
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansurfn2 View Post
eh thats not entirely true.. stock oem filters even can contract a bit thus losing a bit of oil pressure.. i use a reusable metal filter now and i notice at startups it doesnt hesitate as much and feels smoother
I'd like to see that metal filter.

I know they made external secondary oil filtration systems for a lot of cars, thing is those add connections that may for may not be a good thing.

go to the 1:25 mark in the video

"...as little as five-seconds..."
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 09:46 AM   #37
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn123 View Post
Hap et al,

I agree with folks who are not Walmart fans; however, if you do your own oil changes, you cannot beat their prices on quality motor oil.

BMW approved Castrol Edge Full Synthetic is sold at Walmart in a variety of viscosities for a very reasonable price. As has been noted previously, they also sell Mobil 1 in a wide range of viscosities as well; however, Mobil 1 lost their BMW approval a few years back. I still use it but for those of you who insist on BMW approved fluids, Mobil 1 no longer qualifies........
Yes, and how does Walmart get such low prices on brand names? Well they go to the manufacturers and 'assist' them with 'efficiency' changes to their production system in order to provide WMrt with products at the desired price point. Since WMrt is a big volume buyer, suppliers can set up an entirely separate production line, or divert from the regular line - basically cut corners at the factory, then put it in the same packaging. Perhaps that is how Mobil 1 lost their cert, but I don't have specifics. Nobody would, because this falls under trade secrets and they don't have to disclose (you might find diffs on the tech sheets, but only if ingredients were fully deleted). You can look this up, it isn't really secret but it also isn't widely publicized. Years ago I knew people at the Goodyear plant who warned me off of their tires from Wmrt or Costco because they weren't getting any quality control checks - they let the end users bring 'em back if they bubbled or took too much weight to balance and it saved the necessary 5-10%. I'm not willing to risk a motor by saving a few bucks.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 10:49 AM   #38
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Yes, and how does Walmart get such low prices on brand names? Well they go to the manufacturers and 'assist' them with 'efficiency' changes to their production system in order to provide WMrt with products at the desired price point. Since WMrt is a big volume buyer, suppliers can set up an entirely separate production line, or divert from the regular line - basically cut corners at the factory, then put it in the same packaging. Perhaps that is how Mobil 1 lost their cert, but I don't have specifics. Nobody would, because this falls under trade secrets and they don't have to disclose (you might find diffs on the tech sheets, but only if ingredients were fully deleted). You can look this up, it isn't really secret but it also isn't widely publicized. Years ago I knew people at the Goodyear plant who warned me off of their tires from Wmrt or Costco because they weren't getting any quality control checks - they let the end users bring 'em back if they bubbled or took too much weight to balance and it saved the necessary 5-10%. I'm not willing to risk a motor by saving a few bucks.
This is certainly true with Levis jeans - the units you get at Walmart are not the units you get at a higher-end retailer or directly from Levi Strauss & Co. itself. I buy from both sources, using the Walmart units when I'm going to get dirty, and the more expensive ones when fit matters to me.

Last edited by dradernh; 02-22-2020 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
Maynard3804.50
      02-22-2020, 11:00 AM   #39
ljason8eg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Not doubting that happens with certain products but you're wrong when it comes to the Castrol Edge 0w-40 oil they sell that works perfectly in our cars. You can buy the same oil from Amazon or dozens of other establishments. It is exactly the same, no difference. An oil analysis can easily prove this.

I'll save my money, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 12:25 PM   #40
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
This is certainly true with Levis jeans - the units you get at Walmart are not the units you get at a higher-end retailer or directly from Levi Strauss & Co. itself. I buy from both sources, using the Walmart units when I'm going to get dirty, and the more expensive ones when fit matters to me.
Do the Levi’s have two separate style #’s on the tag from each source ?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 01:02 PM   #41
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

I order from ECS, Redline products etc. Had good luck with a return. Also you can call and they can help with purchases etc.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...10017866n54kt/
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 03:06 PM   #42
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Do the Levi’s have two separate style #’s on the tag from each source ?
TLDR; Yes (I'm virtually certain).

Levis garments have Product Codes that consist of Style, Fabric, and Color. The Style Codes were the same: 505; that's the style that I wanted, so that was fine.

My Walmart 505s have a Fabric Code of '48'. IIRC, the "real" 505s have a Fabric Code of '02'. The only "real" 505 pair I have on hand no longer has the sewn-in tag with the Product Code, so I'm working off decades-old memory (the wife and I worked at Levis for a combined total of 30 years).

That makes sense, as a lighter-weight denim is by far the easiest means to making a cheaper jean, and the Walmart jeans definitely have a lighter-weight denim. I could tell that as soon as I opened my first package of them (I bought online, thinking they were the same; the wife just laughed and reminded me there was no way they were going to be the same (given enough time, some things you just forget, you know )).
Appreciate 2
overcoil3068.50
      02-23-2020, 05:00 AM   #43
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Named approved oils

Go to the LM website. I had an email conversation with a LM tech. He recommends LM 5W40 for track use. I’m thinking of a mix of 1 gallon of Redline 5W30 and 2.5qts of Redline 5W40.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 05:14 PM   #44
MikeG12
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M40, 2000 Z3M, 2017 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljason8eg View Post
Not doubting that happens with certain products but you're wrong when it comes to the Castrol Edge 0w-40 oil they sell that works perfectly in our cars. You can buy the same oil from Amazon or dozens of other establishments. It is exactly the same, no difference. An oil analysis can easily prove this.

I'll save my money, thanks.
Last time I bought oil for my cars, Castrol Edge 0W40 was no longer LL01 certified but the 5W40 was, so that's what I bought.
Appreciate 0