THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum New USED owner registering on BMW Connected app

02-11-2020, 09:46 PM   #1
2breezy
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i vert

New USED owner registering on BMW Connected app

Hello,

I purchased an 2015 M235i vert used and had a few questions. Have been reading the manual and the forum, but still steep in the learning curve.

Can I use the BMW Connected app for any functionality, or is this a premium service? I made an app account, and try to add my vehicle. It says to go to vehicle's Connected services and get a verification code. No message ever appears in the vehicle. (It is connected to my Bluetooth Android phone.

Can I receive text messages from my phone? Manual goes on about "office" features, but texts do no appear when my phone is connected. Calls work great.

Thx in advance for any info.

Last edited by 2breezy; 02-12-2020 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: Change title for others to search
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 11:47 PM   #2
ljason8eg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Remote services is good for 10 years after the car is put in service, so yes you can use the BMW Connected app. You could call BMW assist and have them add your car to your account manually (you'll have to provide proof of ownership), but if you're not getting the message with the verification code something isn't working correctly and you'll probably have issues using the app even if BMW gets your car paired with your account.

Can you successfully call BMW Assist from ConnectedDrive in the iDrive or use the SOS button (just tell them you're testing the system if the call succeeds)? If those work your combox is working.

Try resetting the iDrive by turning the car on and pressing in and holding the volume knob for several seconds until the screen turns off. Turn the car off and lock it. Come back 20 mins later and see if the verification code messages arrived.

If that doesn't work pull fuse 120 located in the trunk fuse box (there should be a paper diagram attached to the box), wait a few minutes, and reinstall the fuse. This is what fixed my similar issue with the app not working.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 07:40 PM   #3
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Just got my 2017 a few months ago. First thing I did was read the manual all the way thru and was upset I didnt have "office". How does a 2017 BMW not read and create text messages?

Luckily, my Motorola Z2 phone is pushing incoming text messages to the car. When my Moto goes into "driving mode" (by either detecting the speed the phone is moving, or I linked driving mode to the car's bluetooth connection) and I get a text, the car thinks I have an incoming call. At that point the I hear the phone over the car speakers asking me if I want it to read the text to me. The care;s screen says "incoming call from MotoZ2". After I'm done hearing the text, the car disconnects and goes back to what it was doing (playing music etc).

If I want to create a text, I long press the "Voice" button on the steering wheel. Then a new fake call is pushed to the phone. At that point I'm talking to Google thru the car speakers and mic and I can tell it to create a text, load an app, whatever you can normally tell Google assistant to do on the phone.

Is that everyone else's experience or is it all Moto apps doing that?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 08:35 PM   #4
2breezy
Private
Rep

New Owner

Thank you for the input. Tried your fuse trick while previously researching the problem, no joy. I went out and rebooted iDrive, no joy.

I called customer service from the iDrive menu and was advised that the old owners are still listed on the vehicle. They advised i contact them via cd_accounts@bmwna.com with my info plus copy of registration, insurance and title (2 of 3.) I have done so, will see if they boots the system into accepting a new app primary driver.

I appreciate your time on this.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 01:32 PM   #5
sna66
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2breezy View Post
Thank you for the input. Tried your fuse trick while previously researching the problem, no joy. I went out and rebooted iDrive, no joy.

I called customer service from the iDrive menu and was advised that the old owners are still listed on the vehicle. They advised i contact them via cd_accounts@bmwna.com with my info plus copy of registration, insurance and title (2 of 3.) I have done so, will see if they boots the system into accepting a new app primary driver.

I was having the same issue, I called and they said the same thing, so I emailed the stuff they requested - did this resolve your issue, and did they take a long time to respond?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 01:44 PM   #6
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2breezy View Post

Your dealer can also fix this for you. I called mine about GF CPO that was still in original owner name. That took 2 minutes. They called me back an hour later and it was all done.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 06:39 PM   #7
2breezy
Private
Rep

fixed

Yes, fixed it within an hour or so after.
Appreciate 0