THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Loud Engine Ticking

11-17-2019, 08:00 AM   #1
M235iNightmare
Rep
Drives: M235i

Loud Engine Ticking

Hi guys new to the forum

The other day I started my car and it got this loud ticking noise, more than usual injector noise can hear it in the cabin with engine cover on and bonnet shut.

My valvetronic sensor has gone which I’m changing soon but I’m 99.9% sure that has nothing to do with this ticking.

When you rev the car it gets faster and on de cel they get slower. Oil is on max never dropped below. Should coming more from the left side on the engine bay.

Videos will be uploaded when I work out how
Any help would be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 08:07 AM   #2
M235iNightmare
Rep

Video links

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 01:42 PM   #3
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

What thin oil are you running.

NO Proof - just observation:

When I had switched to Redline 5W-30. (not the EURO) -- I thought the engine ran so quiet.

My guess that any FE oil would make the TAPPING louder esp at the end of the OCI.

I run the PP EURO 5W-40 in Summer and the LL-01FE 0W-30 in Winter
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 01:47 PM   #4
M235iNightmare
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Britt View Post
NO Proof - just observation:

When I had switched to Redline 5W-30. (not the EURO) -- I thought the engine ran so quiet.

My guess that any FE oil would make the TAPPING louder esp at the end of the OCI.

I run the PP EURO 5W-40 in Summer and the LL-01FE 0W-30 in Winter
The happened out of the blue with 9000 left before the oil needed changing was from a bmw service so take it it had long life. After this happened I changed the oil to Castro’s edge 0w30 and nothing changed. Think it’s worth doing a engine flush and going for like a 5w40?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 09:41 AM   #5
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Touching don't work... Get a Harbor Freight stethoscope or use the old screwdriver trick (handle to the ear) and find whether the noise is lifters or injectors. Sounds like lifters to me... You can try 40w oil to see if it calms things down, but not sure that'll do anything. You say VVT sensor is gone? And yes, VVT has everything to do with valve lift and can be the cause of the noise IMO.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 11:32 AM   #6
M235iNightmare
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Touching don't work... Get a Harbor Freight stethoscope or use the old screwdriver trick (handle to the ear) and find whether the noise is lifters or injectors. Sounds like lifters to me... You can try 40w oil to see if it calms things down, but not sure that'll do anything. You say VVT sensor is gone? And yes, VVT has everything to do with valve lift and can be the cause of the noise IMO.

Good luck
Quote:

Good luck
The issue is sorted, I changed the valvetronic didn't stop the ticking as I thought. It was the lifters, 5 lifters on the exhaust side had collapsed all 24 where replaced and car runs like new
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 03:29 PM   #7
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

After I posted I realized this was a few months old, glad to hear it's all sorted out!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 11:22 PM   #8
coolguycye
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235iNightmare View Post
Quote:

Good luck
Quote:

Good luck
The issue is sorted, I changed the valvetronic didn't stop the ticking as I thought. It was the lifters, 5 lifters on the exhaust side had collapsed all 24 where replaced and car runs like new
Quote:
Quote:

Good luck
Quote:

Good luck
I've been trying to find a video or instructions on how to change out my lifters but no luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
My ticking noise is ridiculous.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 04:48 AM   #9
M235iNightmare
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguycye View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Good luck
Quote:

Good luck
Quote:
Quote:

Good luck
Quote:

Good luck
I've been trying to find a video or instructions on how to change out my lifters but no luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
My ticking noise is ridiculous.

That isn't lifters
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 11:57 AM   #10
coolguycye
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

@M235iNightmare what do you think it is?
Was your ticking a much different sound and that's why you doing think that is my issue?
Appreciate 0