THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications F22 halogen to angel eye

05-16-2016, 04:37 PM   #23
simsimma777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i coupe

I am wondering the same thing. I drove at night in the rain for the first time the other day, and it was horribly unsafe. I couldn't even tell the difference with the headlights on or off.

My immediate priority is to upgrade my halogen lights to HID or LED, but am not sure what kit to buy.

I have found several options, but am worried to buy something that wont fit or won't look/work good.

If anyone can recommend a good kit to replace all the bulbs in the front headlights, it would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 01:39 AM   #24
JoeyF228
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Hard to believe nobody is installing HID's, i put in some Philips bulbs which are slightly whiter but it was a temp upgrade until i find something better. I'll get in touch with the RetroFit Source.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 01:00 PM   #25
Bam226
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i M sport

I've contacted many retrofit companies. None are willing to design a set for the 2series because there isn't enough potential customers yet.
3 series are getting all the love.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 10:29 PM   #26
simsimma777
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyF228 View Post
Anybody upgraded the halogens to one of the aftermarket HID or LED kits? I'm not sure about the LED ones but they seem easier to install. I'd love to have angel eyes but would be happy with some better light output and color for now.

I've used TheRetrofitSource.com for HID kits in the past and always had good luck.
I recently installed these OPT7 Fluxbeam LEDs and couldn't be happier with visibility and looks.

OPT7 LED Headlight Bulbs w/ Clear Arc-Beam Kit - H7 - 60w 7,000Lm 6K Cool White CREE - 2 Yr Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VNBEUMO..._uQRNxbE9QRRWV

Huge upgrade from the stock Halogens, and pretty easy install even though they aren't listed as compatible with the 228i.

They give off a xenon color, which looks really nice on the car.

I ordered some iJDMtoy H15s to replace the DRL/high beams but haven't got them to fit yet.

Here are some pics:

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 11:12 PM   #27
Bam226
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i M sport

Did you have to go through the fender for install? And complaints from on coming traffic?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 04:03 AM   #28
simsimma777
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam226 View Post
Did you have to go through the fender for install? And complaints from on coming traffic?
You go through the wheel well. The hardest part was trying to figure out how the metal clip holds the bulb in place, but once I figured that out the other bulb took 2 min to replace.

I used this video as a guide. Different bulbs but same process.

No complaints from on coming traffic, they're pretty good at throwing the light straight ahead.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 05:47 AM   #29
silverbeet25
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: a little bimmer

good luck with the headlights mod guys! I've moved on to an m235i at last, if I learned any lesson, must opt for xenon or LED if it's available, they make the car look so different!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 04:33 PM   #30
sporothrix
Registered
Rep
Drives: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbeet25 View Post
good luck with the headlights mod guys! I've moved on to an m235i at last, if I learned any lesson, must opt for xenon or LED if it's available, they make the car look so different!
congrats
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 09:47 AM   #31
gameaud
Rep
Drives: bmw 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballinisahabit View Post
I recently installed these OPT7 Fluxbeam LEDs and couldn't be happier with visibility and looks.

OPT7 LED Headlight Bulbs w/ Clear Arc-Beam Kit - H7 - 60w 7,000Lm 6K Cool White CREE - 2 Yr Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VNBEUMO..._uQRNxbE9QRRWV

Huge upgrade from the stock Halogens, and pretty easy install even though they aren't listed as compatible with the 228i.

I ordered some iJDMtoy H15s to replace the DRL/high beams but haven't got them to fit yet.

]
That looks pretty good! How are they holding up? Is the temps on the new bulbs okay with the car? Do you think there will be any melted wires/ stuff like that?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 03:27 PM   #32
simsimma777
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameaud View Post
That looks pretty good! How are they holding up? Is the temps on the new bulbs okay with the car? Do you think there will be any melted wires/ stuff like that?
Thanks, love them so far. The pictures don't really do them justice as they look even better in person.

I've checked on them once since install, and there hasn't been any issues with overheating/melting wires/etc. Will check them again this weekend just in case, and will update this thread if I notice any problems.

Haven't had any complaints from oncoming drivers regarding glare. I also tested them by driving behind a friend's car, and he did not have any complaints either.

The only thing I'm unsure of is whether I'm supposed to code the car for LEDs or leave them as is. Hoping someone could chip in to offer some advice.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 11:31 PM   #33
siwo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i RWD 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks, love them so far. The pictures don't really do them justice as they look even better in person.

I've checked on them once since install, and there hasn't been any issues with overheating/melting wires/etc. Will check them again this weekend just in case, and will update this thread if I notice any problems.

Haven't had any complaints from oncoming drivers regarding glare. I also tested them by driving behind a friend's car, and he did not have any complaints either.

The only thing I'm unsure of is whether I'm supposed to code the car for LEDs or leave them as is. Hoping someone could chip in to offer some advice.
Whenever you install any other bulbs other than the standard halogen, you're better to code it out. This way it doesn't have to constantly check and send jolts of electricity to it and 2, removes the damn warning message...unless your wattage draw is enough to mimic the standard halogen watt draw and have the car think it's fine.

I've installed LED on my wife's MINI Countryman with standard halogen reflectors, the light output is great on the product but for some reason the bulbs have begun to fail after 6 months (approx 10,000km driving) but then again the MINI uses the low beams as DRL so the lights are on every time the vehicle is on. I have since removed the bulbs and are back to OEM halogens...

this is the bulb I had on the MINI.
2004 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
1993 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 11:56 AM   #34
ACX01
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbeet25 View Post
might have to do the same ...
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 12:15 PM   #35
ACX01
Registered
Rep

Quote:

Here are some pics:

I have a 2014, if I order H7, it will fit?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 05:10 PM   #36
no_hands
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 series

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam226 View Post
ECS has non-adaptive headlights for the F22. Just need bulbs and ballasts I believe. They still make for an expensive upgrade. Waiting for more to hit the market. F30 has a good thread on this and they are already doing it
I've been trying to find some for weeks. ECS is the only "reasonably" priced option I've found at $1,600 for the whole set (still cheaper than the retrofit companies).

Is it at all possible to install the OEM ones without setting up the Adaptive portion of it? Just getting light out of them?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 04:25 PM   #37
acardoza83
Rep
Drives: '16 228i; '91 325ix

Just want to breath some life in this thread!
Has anyone done the ECS kit?
Any new aftermarket developments?
I don't want to break the bank but I really want to correct the PO's lack of lighting kit option purchase!

Thanks Y'all
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 11:18 PM   #38
jaymaso
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 228i

Same here, I heard if upgrade from halogen, there needs to be a lot of coding stuff
But still trying to find the retrofit based on the halogen module, for f30 i know depo make aftermarket plug'n play angle eye headlight around 600 single, but no f22 yet, i email them for future products on f22, hopefully they have some good news on f22 angle eye
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #39
sicktim
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i 6MT

Yep very interested only because the lighting isn't that great at night.

While this car is great, i'm beginning to realize the 228 was built as a cheap economy build. A whole bunch of cheapness is starting to rear its ugly face now that the warranty is up.

In summary, for the right price I will upgrade, but anything over $1000 isn't worth it in my opinion. I'll just live this one through and make a better purchase in the future.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 07:15 PM   #40
acardoza83
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicktim View Post
Yep very interested only because the lighting isn't that great at night.

While this car is great, i'm beginning to realize the 228 was built as a cheap economy build. A whole bunch of cheapness is starting to rear its ugly face now that the warranty is up.

In summary, for the right price I will upgrade, but anything over $1000 isn't worth it in my opinion. I'll just live this one through and make a better purchase in the future.
I know it's off topic but what is going wrong?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 05:25 PM   #41
acardoza83
Rep

Solution?

https://www.bavgruppedesign.com/prod...ts-yx4mt-cfhp7

So after speaking to the rep they confirmed this kit was designed for the 2 series and the price listed is for both R and L side headlights.

Now we just someone brave enough to try it!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 07:43 PM   #42
sicktim
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

The taillights shorted out, cheap headlamps, stereo amp failed, horn stopped working, rear seats are tearing at the seams (I've been even conditioning them), display cracked in the heat. I'm only at 60,000 miles and all except the taillights failed after the warranty expired.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 07:48 PM   #43
sicktim
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

https://xenonled.eu/product/bmw-2-se...on-headlights/

Anybody contact these guys? Price? I'm going to call them next week to hear what they have to say
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 04:28 PM   #44
BetweenTheWheels
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by acardoza83 View Post
https://www.bavgruppedesign.com/prod...ts-yx4mt-cfhp7

So after speaking to the rep they confirmed this kit was designed for the 2 series and the price listed is for both R and L side headlights.

Now we just someone brave enough to try it!
Did it.

Biggest PITA of any mod I've done on any car.

Watch outs:

- The front end of the car needs to come off. Not hard, just a pain. If I did it again I'd jack the car and remove the front wheels too.
- Most guidance online and on youtube is for butyl based adhesive. BMW and other German makes use permaseal headlights. I had to rebake multiple times and pry for a few hours on the first headlight. Second one was 30 minutes due to learnings from the first.
- I added an HID bulb along with a Morimoto projector housing for low beam on each side. I chose not to run it as a bi xenon set up (projector shutter is not energized) and I have a bright white high beam bulb in the high beam reflector housing. Not doing so means you will have an empty socket. I didn't care for that, hence my choice.
- Prepare for lots of trial and error on how to secure the halos and align everything. I had to use a dremel to cut the interior black plastic housing of each headlight to allow for the halos to fit. I also used wire to secure as I did not want to trust tape or plastic welds.

If you try it, leave plenty of time. And have bandaids. Lots of 'em.
Attached Images