THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Thoughts on BMW winter wheel/tire sets?

09-04-2019, 03:13 PM   #1
pbb911
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240ix

Thoughts on BMW winter wheel/tire sets?

I'm headed back to cold weather this Fall, and need to replace my current setup (18" staggered 436M's w/PSS's) with something more suitable for the winter months.

From a straight convenience point of view, the BMW cold-weather wheel/tire sets are appealing. A square setup with 4 225/40/R18 Conti TS380P SSR (runflat?) pre-mounted on 18" 385 rims for about $2k seems like a decent price for decent winter tires.

Anybody have any thoughts/experience with these sets? Any good reasons to run away from this option? Thanks!

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/6...EEL---TIRE-SET
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 06:09 PM   #2
VasWander
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i 6MT Perf Edition

Hey I posted below and looked at these too but need black wheels and the rating on the Continentals wasn't nearly as good as the Pilot Alpin PA4s. I'm still looking for an answer to while your stock rear rims are 8" and your fronts are 7.5" how does going to all four 7.5" rims affect performance and/or on board systems?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 06:30 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by VasWander View Post
Hey I posted below and looked at these too but need black wheels and the rating on the Continentals wasn't nearly as good as the Pilot Alpin PA4s. I'm still looking for an answer to while your stock rear rims are 8" and your fronts are 7.5" how does going to all four 7.5" rims affect performance and/or on board systems?
BMW May have a few reasons for using those Conti’s both technical and business.

A square 7.5 setup (oem xdrive dimension) allows you to rotate, run a narrower tire for better snow/ice penetration.

Won’t effect on board system.

With summer tires the staggered set-up probably gives a particular dynamic when powering - at extreme high speed probably adds understeer when letting of gas on turns. For cold weather on all season or winter tires the square set up is well dialed in.
Appreciate 0