THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M240i TRACK BUILD PROGRESSION

01-11-2019, 12:46 PM   #89
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_and View Post
Unfortunately, due to a shift in my objectives, I will be selling the car. Since it did go over budget by so much, I need to free up some cash to put together a complete race season in the Spec Miata.
Understandable. Many owners have traveled this path.

Best of luck with your SM season - I know you'll have a ton of fun, and the competition should be fierce.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 11:42 AM   #90
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

I'm officially making the car available for purchase. I'll be taking it out one last time this weekend to get the suspension settings sorted.

Here is a link to the ad.

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1607481

Instagram: @Capt_and
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      02-28-2020, 01:07 PM   #91
MassNerd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Coupe RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_and View Post
I decided to go with Apec ARC-8 in Anthracite.
18x9.5 et35 plus 5mm spacer
18x9.5 et 58 plus 8mm spacer

Camber front -3.5
Camber rear -2.2
Toe out front 1/16"
Hankook RS4 265/35-18 all corners

<<snipped>>

We originally had 5mm all the way around but decided that we needed at least 8mm rear to steer clear of the fuel line on the passenger side rear.
Is the fuel line interference because you have lowered the car and dialed in more negative camber? I've got Apex EC-7s on the way, 18x9.5ET58 and 5mm spacers with MP4S 265mm tires. Just wondering if I need to go 8mm as well. I'm stock suspension still.

Nice build btw! I take it you've sold the car by now..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 01:30 AM   #92
MasterFloody
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240ix

This thread has been an emotional roller coaster. The ending is super harsh.
Basically the TL;DR is "Buy a Miata."
OUCH!
But seriously, thank you OP. Being a fairly new M240i owner, I take much away from this thread and I appreciate your sacrifice.
As an xdrive owner, I am sort of scared how much worse it can be to track it often.
      03-08-2020, 09:48 AM   #93
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterFloody View Post
OUCH!
But seriously, thank you OP. Being a fairly new M240i owner, I take much away from this thread and I appreciate your sacrifice.
As an xdrive owner, I am sort of scared how much worse it can be to track it often.
Find the hardcore track rats at your local circuit, ask them which car gives the best bang for the buck, and the answer you'll most often hear is 'Miata'.

On a more interesting note, if you take your car to a handling track, run as hard as you can, and then look up the Spec Miata record, you may find yourself asking: "How do they do that!?!" They're not exactly slow around the high-speed tracks, either.

Our cars aren't particularly suited to going fast around circuit tracks. Their weight alone is a handicap that can't be overcome, and weight is the primary enemy of lapping quickly. As far as going fast on the straights goes, the fun and the challenge is in the braking zones and the corners. Nevertheless, circuit tracks are fun in anything that's running, so I'd urge you to sign up for an HPDE with one of your local clubs (BMWCCA clubs have excellent instruction for novice drivers). The Tracking / Autocross subforum has useful information on how to get your car ready for an event. Autocross is worth checking out as well.

Last edited by dradernh; 03-08-2020 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 07:17 PM   #94
TakoMako
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterFloody View Post
OUCH!
Mine is xdrive, and have been autocrossing it since I got it. I have been modifying the car slowly since day 1. It is not competitive in its class, but doesn't stop me from enjoying it. My time was fairly close to a M2 (both pretty new to autocross); we had similar mods (power and camber, but I also have dinan springs and sway bar kit) but he has way wider tires (295 square)

KW Clubsport 2-way is going to be installed soon.

The only regret I have is that I didn't have money at the time for a 911 carrera gts or 4 gts.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 07:25 PM   #95
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M240 ix, 14 Cayman S

If you're interested in a P car for autocross, you're better off getting a Cayman than a 911. Don't get me wrong, 911s are beautiful cars and quite potent. But the mid-engine Cayman/Boxster design is much more conducive to auto-x than its bigger brother.

I haven't autocrossed my M240ix yet, but I know it won't be in the same league. I still want to do it just for fun.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 12:56 PM   #96
TakoMako
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer14 View Post
If you're interested in a P car for autocross, you're better off getting a Cayman than a 911. Don't get me wrong, 911s are beautiful cars and quite potent. But the mid-engine Cayman/Boxster design is much more conducive to auto-x than its bigger brother.

I haven't autocrossed my M240ix yet, but I know it won't be in the same league. I still want to do it just for fun.
Totally agree on the Cayman/boxster. 911 is just more of a dream car, would still be competitive.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 03:46 AM   #97
xingqianli
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F22

I read this thread again after the first time I read it a couple of years ago. And so much more fun and resonance I have reading it this time than the last time! I guess that's because I did a lot of track days with my M240i and miata in the past two years and now I can better understand what the OP had gone through. Thank you for sharing with us the route you have taken in such a detailed way!

After having the M240i in its almost stock form (only changed wheels&tires&brake pads for track days) for three years, I'm debating between replacing it with a new P car and building it further towards a track weapon.

These days I mainly drive the miata for track and M240i only sees track when miata is down. As I get faster in miata, my feeling about the inadequacy of M240i suspension gets stronger every time I switch to it. M240i is just a car that has way more power than suspension as a track car in its stock form.

Although miata is so much fun on the track and I learnt a lot & became much faster driving it, the lack of power feeling grows back on me from time to time (lol idk if OP has similar feelings after racing SM for a while). Every time I feel like a little more power from the miata, I start thinking about modifying my M240i, then I would quickly waive that thought off by saying to myself "it's probably not worth it. I'd better off getting a new M2 or Cayman S".

Reading this thread again reminds me how capable this car can be on the track if proper suspension mods are done. Although the mods are not gonna be cheap, probably still cheaper than getting any new stock car if the lap time is the goal. My original plan was to replace the M240i with a Cayman S as a street car. Now the idea of having another high horse power track car in my track fleet together with miata also seems not bad.
Appreciate 0