THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Hey BAVSOUND - where's the 2-series speaker set?!

04-26-2016, 09:16 PM   #45
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

So now that you guys have them installed how do they sound with the stock hi-fi amp?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 08:49 AM   #46
Legal Bill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
So now that you guys have them installed how do they sound with the stock hi-fi amp?
I'm waiting for them to post the instructions. While I'm sure I could "figure it out" I'd rather not break a cover, panel or clip on my brand new car if I can help it. I also want to run over to Harbor Freight and see if they have any door panel removal pry bars that won't mark or mar the door or the door panel when I try to pop the first clip.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 08:54 AM   #47
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legal Bill View Post
I'm waiting for them to post the instructions. While I'm sure I could "figure it out" I'd rather not break a cover, panel or clip on my brand new car if I can help it. I also want to run over to Harbor Freight and see if they have any door panel removal pry bars that won't mark or mar the door or the door panel when I try to pop the first clip.
There are probably some other speaker install how-to's on this site that you can follow. I'm gonna order these removal tools. I want to try disconnecting the center speaker even though I only have stock speakers. LMK if they have anything at Harbor Freight though. I may run by my local store if you're able to find something. I need some other misc items anyway.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 09:23 AM   #48
Legal Bill
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
There are probably some other speaker install how-to's on this site that you can follow. I'm gonna order these removal tools. I want to try disconnecting the center speaker even though I only have stock speakers. LMK if they have anything at Harbor Freight though. I may run by my local store if you're able to find something. I need some other misc items anyway.
Thanks for that link. For five bucks it is well worth a try. Here is what HF has to offer:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece...set-67021.html
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 08:59 AM   #49
M235iTW
Rep
Drives: M235i

Strangely, bavsound is no longer available for purchase
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 09:10 AM   #50
eflatminor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i

Bummer to hear about production problems with the coaxial speakers. Mine turned out fine, great in fact.

Once I got the DSP setting properly set in the amp, the sound from the Bavsound coaxials was fabulous. Of course, they can't have magnets falling out!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 09:15 PM   #51
CanadianGatorBacon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i (holy crap!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235iTW View Post
Strangely, bavsound is no longer available for purchase
From the marketing emails they sent out, it sounded like their first run was only 50 sets. Maybe they sold out for now. You could email them to find out if you are interested, they are very responsive.
      05-02-2016, 09:16 AM   #52
Legal Bill
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Picked up the panel tools at HF, but my car is in the shop. Picked up a nail in the right front tire! And no, I didn't purchase the wheel and tire road hazard protection when I bought the car. To add insult to injury, the tire is not readily available and will likely have to be shipped. I have a 228i loaner at the moment. Not a bad car, I must say.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 12:21 PM   #53
255zr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Received mine today

Glad to read that I was not an nut job and had not figured out that had 6 speakers in my car before!!!

The lack of instruction is somewhat disappointing, but I'm sure the other instruction videos will work in a pinch.

I'm by no means a mechanic, so what is my realistic install time?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 07:05 PM   #54
lieb923
lieb923
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235Xi

Garage List
2015 BMW M235Xi  [0.00]
Bavsound f22 install video It's finally up.

As promised Bavsound has posted the install on youtube. They still haven't linked it on the website. Pretty straight forward. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 08:32 PM   #55
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 09:04 PM   #56
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Noticed two things in that video. First, magnet an those speakers is freaking tiny. I'm not sure if size matters, but in my experience the more expensive and better quality speakers have had much larger magnets than a stock and/or "budget" speaker. Second, the surround on the midrange speaker is concave. Dude mentions that the design is to provide better midrange response. I'll trust them on that I guess. It's still a bit odd to me, but whatever.

Originally I was going to wait for the bav solution for my hi-fi car, but I want separates and I was hoping that they'd come up with a solution that involved separate speakers. Just include the sails and the solution would still essentially be plug and play.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 08:26 AM   #57
Legal Bill
Second Lieutenant
Rep

My door and rear Bav speakers are in. I am still debating what I will do with the center. I may just disconnect it and see how I like the system with four speakers. For now, the center is still connected with only the stock speaker. I have to admit that with the center speaker in place, it sounds like everything is coming from the dash board.

I may write a much longer review about the Bavsound Stage 1 speakers, but for now, here are my thoughts:

1. Plug and play for sure.

2. I didn't have the benefit of the install video, so no comment on that.

3. I did use the 3 series install video and a thread on this forum. It was very helpful to understand how the door wires were supposed to run and where to place the Dynamat.

4. The Bav speakers are only a little heavier than the factory speakers.

5. The sound is now much better in that the factory speakers sounded tinny and the system now sounds much fuller. With the factory speakers, I had the bass adjusted to about 75%. I adjusted the bass back to neutral after the install. Voice reproduction is excellent and I can hear talk and music at a lower volume.

6. I'm not sure how much difference is because of the speakers versus the Dynamat.

7. I think these speakers are all I need.

This is personal preference of course. My plan was to buy the car with the Hi Fi system and upgrade it one step at a time until I was satisfied with the sound. Based on the first two days with the Bavsound Stage 1 speakers, I don't plan to buy any more components. When I say "I am not an audiophile" I mean it. I don't understand about 50% of the posts I read from some of you advanced audio people. I also suffer from some hearing loss, so even if I could broaden the systems range of sound reproduction, it really wouldn't matter to me.

I can't say if this system is better than buying the other speakers that are available after-market. But I paid less for these than the alternatives as Bavsound was offering a good discount to the initial purchasers. If the discount had not been offered, I may have gone with the alternatives.

I'm not sitting in judgment of the folks who go out and buy speakers, amps, and subs all at once, but I would recommend that you consider going one step at a time if you are not sure how much improvement you need. You may save yourself some money and time. It isn't like you have to "redo" any of your work by taking this a step at a time. The install labor for speakers, woofers and amp do not overlap.

I hope this is helpful to others.

Bill
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 10:48 AM   #58
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Noticed two things in that video. First, magnet an those speakers is freaking tiny. I'm not sure if size matters, but in my experience the more expensive and better quality speakers have had much larger magnets than a stock and/or "budget" speaker. Second, the surround on the midrange speaker is concave. Dude mentions that the design is to provide better midrange response. I'll trust them on that I guess. It's still a bit odd to me, but whatever.

Originally I was going to wait for the bav solution for my hi-fi car, but I want separates and I was hoping that they'd come up with a solution that involved separate speakers. Just include the sails and the solution would still essentially be plug and play.
Ah, so the surrounds ARE concave. That's just plain weird. I've never seen that on a set of aftermarket woofers. You'd think some other manufacturer would be using the design if it improved midrange response ...

Oh, and installation ease + price point is the reason BAVsound went with coaxials. That's verified in another thread by someone in the sound biz (he works for a company whose name rhymes with "swimmerdeck", hehe)
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 11:02 AM   #59
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I get that, but they already have a component set. They should offer a kit for us hi-fi guys that want separates instead of coaxial speakers up front. Oh well.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 03:16 PM   #60
chemh0ser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235ix Mineral Grey

So I got my Bavsound speakers specifically for the F22 last week, but I can't do the install because apparently they need to develop and send out in-line capacitors before we can use them. Thank god I waited a few days to do the install. I wonder how man people had to blow theirs up before the mistake was caught.
2015 ///M235iX | Mineral Grey | Dakota Black | Premium | Tech | Cold | Driver Ast | HK Sound | Black Kidney Grilles | M-Performance Exhaust | Front Splitter | Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps, Rear Spoiler and Exhaust Finishers

Last edited by chemh0ser; 08-29-2016 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: clarification
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 03:17 PM   #61
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemh0ser View Post
So I got my Bavsound speakers last week, but I can't do the install because apparently they need to develop and send out in-line capacitors before we can use them. Thank god I waited a few days to do the install. I wonder how man people had to blow theirs up before the mistake was caught.
Well, that's not good. :/

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 05:19 PM   #62
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemh0ser View Post
So I got my Bavsound speakers specifically for the F22 last week, but I can't do the install because apparently they need to develop and send out in-line capacitors before we can use them. Thank god I waited a few days to do the install. I wonder how man people had to blow theirs up before the mistake was caught.
Same here. I've got a complete speaker set sitting here, but can't install them. Also, we're not waiting on capacitors, we're waiting for an inline connector so the tweeter can plug into the midrange. How exactly did they miss that? Pull one of the midranges out, and tell me where the tweeter is supposed to connect? Seems like an awfully big oversight. I've considered sending everything back. I'm not impressed.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 10:43 AM   #63
CanadianGatorBacon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i (holy crap!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeglim View Post
we're not waiting on capacitors, we're waiting for an inline connector so the tweeter can plug into the midrange.
Is this for the coaxial tweeters and mids? Are the tweeters just glued on and not electrically connected?

How did you find out about this? I haven't gotten an email from them.

I ordered my set for the standard hifi from their first batch but haven't gotten around to installing them yet.
      08-30-2016, 02:29 PM   #64
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Ummm ...

... yeah.

QC issues, wonky deliverables (Am I getting this extra speaker in case one blows or loses a trim ring?), and it can't do proper R&D for a car that's been on the market 2.5 years now?

Avoid Bavsound, y'all. At least for the 2 Series.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 05:23 AM   #65
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianGatorBacon View Post
Is this for the coaxial tweeters and mids? Are the tweeters just glued on and not electrically connected?

How did you find out about this? I haven't gotten an email from them.

I ordered my set for the standard hifi from their first batch but haven't gotten around to installing them yet.
I emailed them and asked for clarification as to why I couldn't install them:

Quote:
It is a harness that allows our tweeters to plug into our midranges that is missing. It is a separate piece to the filter harness that was included. We hope to have details, and a time line on the resolution VERY soon. We will be keeping you updated!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 07:16 AM   #66
chemh0ser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235ix Mineral Grey

Oh OK, I was mistaken, the email I got wasn't that clear. So, not as bad as I thought but annoying and worrisome nonetheless.
2015 ///M235iX | Mineral Grey | Dakota Black | Premium | Tech | Cold | Driver Ast | HK Sound | Black Kidney Grilles | M-Performance Exhaust | Front Splitter | Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps, Rear Spoiler and Exhaust Finishers
Appreciate 0