THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Hey BAVSOUND - where's the 2-series speaker set?!

04-19-2016, 06:33 PM   #23
lieb923
lieb923
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235Xi

Garage List
2015 BMW M235Xi  [0.00]
Bavsound M235 HIFI Upgrade

Package arrived Sat. Unfortunately no instructions came with the speakers.
I called they apologized and will send a PDF & video.
I got an email later saying instructions were not available yet. WTF? confused2
The instructions should be available later this week.
I'm patiently awaiting. I will keep the group updated.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 07:24 PM   #24
CanadianGatorBacon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i (holy crap!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieb923 View Post
Package arrived Sat.
Standard hifi or hk replacement?

What came in the package?

Pics?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 01:39 PM   #25
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieb923 View Post
Package arrived Sat. Unfortunately no instructions came with the speakers.
I called they apologized and will send a PDF & video.
I got an email later saying instructions were not available yet. WTF? confused2
The instructions should be available later this week.
I'm patiently awaiting. I will keep the group updated.
Crosspost to your equivalent post on Bimmerfest, lieb923 (and CanadianGatorBacon : he has Hi-Fi):

<<I'm surprised that Bavsound's shipping the HiFi set; word on 2Addicts from a couple of others who have ordered was there'd be a delay until June. I guess that may only apply to the HK set ... ?

Bavsound's typical MO with instructions is to use a customer's car to make an installation video for each model series. I'd imagine, since it took Bavsound so long to develop the 2 Series sets (and there are still supply issues), that it's had a hard time finding a guinea pig car. Hope you get the video soon ... but in the meantime, this video on installing the F30/M3 set will work great for you; the procedure will be almost exactly the same.>>
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2016, 12:02 AM   #26
a-fung
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i xDrive

Got my package for HIFI replacement today.
It came with 3 identical boxes.
Inside there are 2 bigger speakers (cx.100.o) and 4 smaller speakers (cx.100.f).
No install instruction.
Need to comfirm with Bavsound which one replaces which one.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 08:12 AM   #27
CanadianGatorBacon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-fung View Post
Inside there are 2 bigger speakers (cx.100.o) and 4 smaller speakers (cx.100.f).
Hmm, 6 speakers for 5 slots?

Between the mix ups with product info on the website, delivery dates, lack of instructions, and sending more speakers than you paid for and can use, it doesn't seem like Bavsound has a very good handle on their production.

I hope this isn't a sign of how they ended up developing the system ... haphazardly.
      04-22-2016, 08:19 AM   #28
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianGatorBacon View Post
Hmm, 6 speakers for 5 slots?

Between the mix ups with product info on the website, delivery dates, lack of instructions, and sending more speakers than you paid for and can use, it doesn't seem like Bavsound has a very good handle on their production.

I hope this isn't a sign of how they ended up developing the system ... haphazardly.
Two other points:

1. We don't yet know how they will sound.

2. They are significantly more expensive than the JLAudios and the Etons which are true drop-ins.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 08:32 AM   #29
CanadianGatorBacon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by selmeralto View Post
Two other points:

1. We don't yet know how they will sound.

2. They are significantly more expensive than the JLAudios and the Etons which are true drop-ins.
1. True. Unfortunately though, no one will ever be able to compare all of the options. There are very different opinions from people about all of the speakers they have installed in their cars, and some from people who are opining based on prior experience or data sheets. We'll get people's reviews of these speakers, but they won't likely be in comparison to other aftermarket speakers, and there is no real way to know whether what the reviewer likes to hear is the same as what you like to hear.

2. I have to know what makes a true drop-in. I don't see how these speakers are not true drop-ins. They are configured specifically to work with the other components of the system in these cars and to fit exactly into the spaces for the stock speakers. Sounds like a true drop-in to me.
      04-22-2016, 08:34 AM   #30
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianGatorBacon View Post
1. True. Unfortunately though, no one will ever be able to compare all of the options. There are very different opinions about all of the speakers people have installed in their cars from different people. We'll get people's reviews of these speakers but they won't likely be in comparison to another aftermarket system, and there is no real way to know whether what the reviewer likes to hear is the same as what you like to hear.

2. I have to know what makes a true drop-in. I don't see how these speakers are not true drop-ins. They are configured specifically to work with the other components of the system in these cars and to fit exactly into the spaces for the stock speakers. Sounds like a true drop-in to me.
Right - I agree with #1.

On #2, I guess I wasn't clear. I didn't mean to imply the Bavsounds weren't drop-ins. I only meant to say there are other drop-ins in the market. Lost word: "also". My bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 08:42 AM   #31
CanadianGatorBacon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So far, I count 3 people on this thread that have or should have gotten their speakers ( Legal Bill ?). Looking forward to hearing from them.
      04-22-2016, 10:00 AM   #32
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Got my package for HIFI replacement today.
It came with 3 identical boxes.
No install instruction.
Need to comfirm with Bavsound which one replaces which one.
Could you snap pictures of one of those speakers close up, please? Both the drivers (front) and the magnet/basket structure (back).

I'm encouraged that Bavsound used silk dome tweeters in the design. I'm discouraged that the tweeter is not angled or adjustable ... and I'm also discouraged that they give you a 'spare'!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 10:26 AM   #33
CanadianGatorBacon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It seems that all the speakers should be the same size. I'd think that cx is just a code for coaxial, 100 is 100mm, and the o is for offset flange and the f is for flush flange.

If I'm righ, then based on the info on the website, the cx.100.f speakers would be for the doors and dash, and the cx.100.o would be for the back shelf. Still leaves you with one extra front speaker though. Could just be a packaging mistake, epically if they use the same code for all the front speakers and the code is linked to a 2 speaker set. 2 orders of the code would get 4 speakers instead of 3.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 02:20 AM   #34
a-fung
Rep

Updating this thread with more photos. The speakers are the same size in term of spec. By bigger/smaller I meant the housing size.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 08:00 AM   #35
eflatminor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i

I just replaced the five coaxial speakers in my 'hi fi' system, but I also replaced the amp at the same time with a bimmertech.

Big mistake to have left the amp "stock" with regard to its DSP setting. Apparently, they haven't yet come up with an EQ setting for the 2 series, so they send the amp out "flat". If you don't attempt to set the EQ right out of the box and leave it as received, it sounds AWFUL. Much, much worse than the already-terrible OEM amp. Tiny sound with no punch. Even at full volume, it's not loud, just painful.

So, I can't say how the new speakers sound because everything is colored by the amp. I'm desperately trying to borrow a laptop so I can download the app for the DSP and at least get something happening with the EQ. It's almost not listenable as is.

I left the UBS cable installed in the amp and snaked it through into the cabin. I have some experience with parametric EQs, so I hope I can fix this. Otherwise, what a waste of $.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 09:02 PM   #36
Legal Bill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Yup, mine arrived. Heres the "deal."

Six speakers arrive. I only need five. That's good because one of the speakers has a bad magnet (fell out of the back of the speaker). Fortunately that is one of the speakers that fits the center channel. I test the other five and they seem to be "solid." No instructions ready yet. They should be up on the web site soon. No free tool kit. It turns out the $100 discount was an "either or" deal. You don't get both.

So I'm not real impressed so far. On the good side, they were very responsive and confirmed I had all the speakers I needed. In the future the kit will have only five speakers.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 08:14 AM   #37
M235iTW
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legal Bill View Post
one of the speakers has a bad magnet (fell out of the back of the speaker).
Same thing happened with my order.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 11:14 AM   #38
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235iTW
Quote:
one of the speakers has a bad magnet (fell out of the back of the speaker).
Perhaps the extra speaker is meant to be decoration for your desk. Urging you to end the day and listen to some sweet sweet tunes. :

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 11:21 AM   #39
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Updating this thread with more photos. The speakers are the same size in term of spec. By bigger/smaller I meant the housing size.
Holy crap those are built poorly. The glue surrounding the tweeter assembly is just ... just ...

... and why on earth do those drivers have concave rubber surrounds?

Quote:
One of the speakers has a bad magnet (fell out of the back of the speaker) ... No free tool kit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M235iTW View Post
Wow.

Bavsound? Time to call the QC police and find a different coaxial supplier. Whoever's building those for you is about to cost your company money.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 12:49 PM   #40
Legal Bill
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235iTW View Post
Great. This should be a sh_t show.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 12:50 PM   #41
Legal Bill
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Holy crap those are built poorly. The glue surrounding the tweeter assembly is just ... just ...

... and why on earth do those drivers have concave rubber surrounds?

Wow.

Bavsound? Time to call the QC police and find a different coaxial supplier. Whoever's building those for you is about to cost your company money.
No, they are convex. I guess it just looks that way in the photo.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2016, 06:19 PM   #42
a-fung
Rep

Wow one of my cx 100 o also broke when I tried to install it. The center piece fell out.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 07:12 PM   #43
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Dang :/ Has anyone contacted Bav to see what they say about it?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 08:49 PM   #44
BillD1953
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

I guess I'll stay with my stock standard stereo in the 228i.
Spotify sounds GREAT with a slight bump up with the treble and bass settings and a whisker of fade front to back !
Appreciate 0