THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Advice on replacing iDrive screen

09-12-2021, 11:25 AM   #1
ube91
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1991 318i, 2019 M2C, 2000 Z3M

Advice on replacing iDrive screen

Hi all,

My new-to-me 2016 228i with the 8.8" screen is starting to bubble around the bottom right corner. The car has been in Florida its whole life and has had no tint, but it seems a little odd to me that the screen would bubble this soon.

Because of this, I've been on the hunt for a gently used screen off eBay. (a new one of these is 3k!) I've seen some threads about replacing the screen but I'm not so sure about the compatibility of screens from different model years and if any coding would be involved when swapping the units.

Any pointers is much appreciated.

Name:  PXL_20210819_231441912.jpg
Views: 4745
Size:  237.4 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 08:24 AM   #2
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Go to www.realoem.com and enter the last 7 characters of the car's vehicle identification number. Hit enter and bookmark the page. Scroll down to audio/nav and get the part number for the screen in your car. Also, click on the part # (it's a link) and see what other years and models used the same screen. Replacing the screen should not be difficult. I think it's held in place with 2 screws.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 12:21 PM   #3
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ube91 View Post
Hi all,

My new-to-me 2016 228i with the 8.8" screen is starting to bubble around the bottom right corner. The car has been in Florida its whole life and has had no tint, but it seems a little odd to me that the screen would bubble this soon.

Because of this, I've been on the hunt for a gently used screen off eBay. (a new one of these is 3k!) I've seen some threads about replacing the screen but I'm not so sure about the compatibility of screens from different model years and if any coding would be involved when swapping the units.

Any pointers is much appreciated.

Attachment 2694315
Screen is not codeable so if you're going to get the same as you have now, you just plug&play. Easiest way is to take it out, check the part number, hit the Ebay and purchase used one.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 07:03 AM   #4
mdf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

Hi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ube91 View Post
it seems a little odd to me that the screen would bubble this soon.
Actually I saw this a bit when I was shopping used 2 Series. My impression was that it was more common with cars that had not been garaged. I wondered if the more frequent and more dramatic change in temps/humidity for cars that spent the night on the street or more frequent direct sun made delamination more likely but that was just a casual impression. I passed on a 228i THP that among other issues had one of the worst delaminated screens I saw. It looked like spider webs across the screen and the screen was just unreadable. As you have found out, the dealer option is beaucoup dollars. Used options rarely showed up on eBay when I was watching. The option I considered was from BimmerTech. The 230i I bought didn't need a replacement screen so I haven't tried them but

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/ite...-idrive-screen

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/category...mw-vividscreen

is what I bookmarked.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 04:36 PM   #5
ube91
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1991 318i, 2019 M2C, 2000 Z3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post
Hi.

Actually I saw this a bit when I was shopping used 2 Series. My impression was that it was more common with cars that had not been garaged. I wondered if the more frequent and more dramatic change in temps/humidity for cars that spent the night on the street or more frequent direct sun made delamination more likely but that was just a casual impression. I passed on a 228i THP that among other issues had one of the worst delaminated screens I saw. It looked like spider webs across the screen and the screen was just unreadable. As you have found out, the dealer option is beaucoup dollars. Used options rarely showed up on eBay when I was watching. The option I considered was from BimmerTech. The 230i I bought didn't need a replacement screen so I haven't tried them but

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/ite...-idrive-screen

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/category...mw-vividscreen

is what I bookmarked.

Good luck.
I've seen the BimmerTech screens in passing but they don't seem to carry any for the F22s. Pretty unfortunate.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2023, 08:16 PM   #6
leftoverture
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
Go to www.realoem.com and enter the last 7 characters of the car's vehicle identification number. Hit enter and bookmark the page. Scroll down to audio/nav and get the part number for the screen in your car. Also, click on the part # (it's a link) and see what other years and models used the same screen. Replacing the screen should not be difficult. I think it's held in place with 2 screws.
Resurrecting an old thread. I'm trying to replace my idrive screen, too, due to the bubbling. I tried your real oem thing but it give a long list of part numbers but at the bottom it says the part is no longer available. It seems replacing this thing is difficult. I haven't been able to find a reasonably priced replacement. When I have found used ones, they already have bubbles starting. Did they all bubble like this?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 08:43 AM   #7
thelastjessica
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i xDrive

I replaced the bubbled screen in my 2016 with the AVIN 10.25in screen so I could add cameras and CarPlay. The screen looks nice and was plug-and-play, but I have had myriad issues with the cameras, Android system, and CarPlay -- basically everything I paid extra for. AVIN's customer service is the absolute worst. I can only recommend it if you're not interested in adding any of the features and will just use the factory system.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 03:10 PM   #8
leftoverture
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastjessica View Post
I replaced the bubbled screen in my 2016 with the AVIN 10.25in screen so I could add cameras and CarPlay. The screen looks nice and was plug-and-play, but I have had myriad issues with the cameras, Android system, and CarPlay -- basically everything I paid extra for. AVIN's customer service is the absolute worst. I can only recommend it if you're not interested in adding any of the features and will just use the factory system.
Thanks for the response. How do I know if my user interface is NBT or EVO? I have a 2016 228i with Navigation, if that helps. When I looked it up, I think the site might have been Bimmer-Tech, it said I have NBT-Evo (ID4) so my guess is on Avin's site that equals NBT because they don't list an NBT-Evo option specifically.

Last edited by leftoverture; 03-22-2023 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 0