THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board T mobile and starlink

08-27-2022, 04:34 PM   #1
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

T mobile and starlink

So it looks like T mobile phones will be able to connect to starlink satellites so there will be few of any dead zones. Not sure I'd squat here to tmo just for this as it remains to be seen how well it works since starlink can be unreliable at times and does nothing for service in non rural areas where T-Mobile is often lacking. What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 04:55 PM   #2
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Having used three different satellite phones over the years, I wouldn't run out to change carriers until it is proven and on the market. The info that I saw said that they were only looking at text messaging and low-bandwidth data to T-Mobile phones. How it handles high-speed data and the latency problem with voice over satellites is still a huge unknown. I'd also personally be concerned with the radio power necessary for it to work via satellite sucking a handheld phone's battery dry in only a few hours.....
      08-29-2022, 10:21 AM   #3
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I'm already T-Mobile. Could be interesting to use while fishing the open ocean, or up at the cabin in the mountains.

ALTHOUGH, both those places are often visited with the expressed intention of NOT being able to take a call/text. . .
      08-29-2022, 10:29 AM   #4
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Having used three different satellite phones over the years, I wouldn't run out to change carriers until it is proven and on the market. The info that I saw said that they were only looking at text messaging and low-bandwidth data to T-Mobile phones. How it handles high-speed data and the latency problem with voice over satellites is still a huge unknown. I'd also personally be concerned with the radio power necessary for it to work via satellite sucking a handheld phone's battery dry in only a few hours.....
Yeah it's low bandwidth only for emergency use hoping maybe Verizon signs on and it works with any device. But yeah they have to broadcast the 5G signal from the satellite may not work so well in the mountains without line of site or underground so not literally everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 10:30 AM   #5
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I'm already T-Mobile. Could be interesting to use while fishing the open ocean, or up at the cabin in the mountains.

ALTHOUGH, both those places are often visited with the expressed intention of NOT being able to take a call/text. . .
Yeah just for emergency use otherwise you can keep your phone off.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 11:08 AM   #6
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Yeah just for emergency use otherwise you can keep your phone off.
I used to have the text-only link to weather data, so I would know if snow was coming.