THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Chassis stabilization/abs

02-08-2019, 06:55 AM   #1
Chayo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 228i

Chassis stabilization/abs

Last night while driving my car 2015 228i sportline started to show a message that says abs/chassis stabilization.
Im out of warranty. Someone here knows what is the problem or how to resolve it. I will really appreciate your help.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 04:18 PM   #2
Chayo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayo View Post
Last night while driving my car 2015 228i sportline started to show a message that says abs/chassis stabilization.
Im out of warranty. Someone here knows what is the problem or how to resolve it. I will really appreciate your help.
Now the car started showing the airbag malfunction message.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 07:07 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

First thing is check your battery.

Also check under the hood for any signs of rodents chewing on the electrical wiring.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 06:25 AM   #4
Chayo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
First thing is check your battery.

Also check under the hood for any signs of rodents chewing on the electrical wiring.
Thanks 👍🏽
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 09:50 PM   #5
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Was this car previously in an accident?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 09:39 AM   #6
Chayo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
Was this car previously in an accident?
Never
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 10:29 AM   #7
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

For something this potentially complex, I don't understand why you're not already at the dealership.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 01:09 PM   #8
Chayo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
For something this potentially complex, I don't understand why you're not already at the dealership.
Because i dont have warranty and i thought that maybe someone here could help me.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 01:36 PM   #9
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Because i dont have warranty and i thought that maybe someone here could help me.
Have you chk'd your battery? Also if the car is an automatic transmission, the transmission can shift strangely if the battery is bad.
I do believe if you get a new battery the dealers needs to use a computer to reset some functions.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 04:29 PM   #10
Chayo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Have you chk'd your battery? Also if the car is an automatic transmission, the transmission can shift strangely if the battery is bad.
I do believe if you get a new battery the dealers needs to use a computer to reset some functions.
This can happen for a bad battery?The car is woking almost perfect. The only thing is that i cant change the driving mode. Im going to change the battery and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 12:14 AM   #11
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
This can happen for a bad battery. The car is woking almost perfect. The game thing is that i cant change the driving mode. Im going to change the battery and see what happens.
If I were you instead of throwing around parts at the car without any diagnostic done to it and spending money that might not be necessary I would take it to the dealership, have a diagnostic done see what the problem is and then decide on my next move. You save your cash for the parts and have a definitive answer rather than guesssing. Also replacing the battery requires registering it to the cars system via diagnostics, it’s not like pop the trunk and replace it like on the olden cars. No one can give you a definitive answer here without having some leads in terms of diagnostic data. Think of it this way, when you are sick you go to the doctor to see what’s wrong and get a prescription, you wouldn’t ask your neighbors or friends what medication they are using and start using it.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 07:11 AM   #12
Chayo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omera60 View Post
Quote:
This can happen for a bad battery. The car is woking almost perfect. The game thing is that i cant change the driving mode. Im going to change the battery and see what happens.
If I were you instead of throwing around parts at the car without any diagnostic done to it and spending money that might not be necessary I would take it to the dealership, have a diagnostic done see what the problem is and then decide on my next move. You save your cash for the parts and have a definitive answer rather than guesssing. Also replacing the battery requires registering it to the cars system via diagnostics, it’s not like pop the trunk and replace it like on the olden cars. No one can give you a definitive answer here without having some leads in terms of diagnostic data. Think of it this way, when you are sick you go to the doctor to see what’s wrong and get a prescription, you wouldn’t ask your neighbors or friends what medication they are using and start using it.
Thats your opinion. The car is running perfect, so I think that the problem could be something that I can fix. If I take the car to the dealership they are going charge me exaggerates amounts for thing that I can do.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2019, 08:40 AM   #13
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Thats your opinion. The car is running perfect, so I think that the problem could be something that I can fix. If I take the car to the dealership they are going charge me exaggerates amounts for thing that I can do.
If you are going to chase a system malfunction that is generated by the chassis or abs control module, you will at least need to get hold of an ENET cable (readily available for less than $100) and install ISTA-D software on a laptop to run diagnostics against the module. If you are not comfortable in doing that, you should take it to an independent or the dealer to have them do it, otherwise you have no information to pin point the failing component.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 08:56 PM   #14
Chayo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Quote:
If you are going to chase a system malfunction that is generated by the chassis or abs control module, you will at least need to get hold of an ENET cable (readily available for less than $100) and install ISTA-D software on a laptop to run diagnostics against the module. If you are not comfortable in doing that, you should take it to an independent or the dealer to have them do it, otherwise you have no information to pin point the failing component.
Where i can download the ista d program?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 10:19 PM   #15
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Start here: http://blog.obdii365.com/2017/11/16/...-installation/
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 02:28 PM   #16
Chayo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks! Apparently the problem is a rear speed sensor. I will let you know if that fix the problem
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 02:00 PM   #17
Chayo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks! Apparently the problem is a rear speed sensor. I will let you know if that fix the problem
I forgot to post the update. I change the speed sensor and resolve problem. The dealer wanted to charge me more than $500 for the part an the installation and a fix the problem with $105 for the sensor and i install it.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2019, 03:38 PM   #18
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I forgot to post the update. I change the speed sensor and resolve problem. The dealer wanted to charge me more than $500 for the part an the installation and a fix the problem with $105 for the sensor and i install it.
Where was the speed sensor located ?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 07:25 PM   #19
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
The sensor is located just off the rear bearing hub. It’s accessed from behind the the hub. It’s likely likely held in place with a single bolt. The sensor has 2 wires.
Appreciate 2
overcoil3068.50
Chayo7.00
      04-16-2019, 11:11 AM   #20
Chayo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
Quote:
The sensor is located just off the rear bearing hub. It’s accessed from behind the the hub. It’s likely likely held in place with a single bolt. The sensor has 2 wires.
It's a really easy fix. You can look for a video at youtube.
Appreciate 0