THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums CANADA BMW Connected - Android

10-31-2018, 10:59 AM   #1
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

There are a bunch of threads on other Bimmerpost boards (eg. F30Post) describing the status of BMW Connected in Canada but they are largely iOS focused. Since I have 2 series and an Android phone, thought I'd start a new thread.

As of this week, BMW Canada finally has gone live with the same backend as the rest of BMW, especially BMW USA. In theory, we should have (finally) pretty much the same functionality as BMW USA owners, including BMW Apps via Bluetooth (only Spotify and iHeart) as well as remote locking, destinations, etc from an updated app. That is as long as you have iDrive 5 or higher (I have upgraded the iDrive 4 in my 2016 to iDrive 6 and documented it in this thread: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1536007).

However, BMW (as usual) is treating Android owners in Canada as being less important than iOS owners. The new BMW Connected App is available in the App Store for iPhone in Canada but the Android app is not yet available to Canadians.

Here's the workaround:
  1. If you have access to the US Play store and can install apps from it, you should look for BMW Connected but make the sure the package name include ".na" at the end. The global version will not work.
  2. If you do not have the ability to install apps from the US Play Store, then go to your favourite APK site (unfortunately not APKMirror .. I used APK Monk) and download the latest version of "de.bmw.connected.na". As above, make sure you have the ".na" version (latest is 6.0.1.4991 released yesterday).
  3. Go to www.bmw-connecteddrive.ca and either register for an account or log in if you have already created an account
  4. Add your vehicle with your full VIN.
  5. A 6 digit passcode will be sent to your car (system messages in iDrive). You need to use that passcode to complete the vehicle registration process on the ConnectedDrive portal.
  6. You can then login to the BMW Connected app from there and set it up for use. You will need the last 7 of your VIN to complete the setup within the app.

I have full functionality using the US app. The only glitch is that there is a disconnect between the US and Canadian servers and your profile will have a random name.

canadian33 has been extremely helpful in other threads on the subject and am flagging him on this one in case he has anything to add or can update us on when the Android app will be properly available from the Canadian Play Store.
Appreciate 3
      10-31-2018, 09:49 PM   #2
bubbahead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 40i Msport

delete
2011 550ix msport
2009 e92 335i msport

Last edited by bubbahead; 10-31-2018 at 10:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 09:55 PM   #3
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Are you sure you got the ".na" version? It won't recognize a North American VIN on the global version.
I'll PM you the link to the one I used.
Appreciate 0