THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinan Intake & Stage 2 Tune

01-31-2019, 01:15 PM   #221
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
Yes I feel the same inconsistencies as you.

In fact I decided to test this yesterday because lately it feels like the car isnt pulling very hard.

I turned the tune off and, if anything, it pulls harder with the tune off!!

Then other times with the tune on it pulls scary fast.

Another thing I've noticed is that sometimes the app wont find or connect to the module at all. Sometimes it drops connection in the middle of communicating with it.

I think that these modules might be glitching or turning on/off randomly which could be causing the consistency perception.

I've already had my harness replaced and everything seemed fine for a few months but now I feel like sometimes when I start the car there is no extra power. The only thing I can say is my car does not throw codes since I've gotten a new harness.

I very much feel the tune is inconsistent.

Dinan_Engineering do you have any ideas what this could be?
I am hesitant to take this into the dealer because no CEL is on and, like others have mentioned, its not consistent. Odds are dealer is going to tell me they can find nothing and it will be 2-4 hours of wasted time for me.
Without a code to reference I personally wouldn't even speculate as it could be any number of things or nothing at all. Send a note to support@dinancars.com (just copy and paste what you wrote if you like -- make sure you note that you are a V1 with a replacement harness) and they would be much more capable of guiding you through any troubleshooting steps prior to a dealer visit. They live the stuff everyday and are simply more familiar with the random nuances.
Appreciate 2
      01-31-2019, 04:59 PM   #222
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mblaucoupe135 View Post
yeah i hear you. I've also been paying close attention to how i'm driving the car and particularly accelerating to see if I can figure out if it is something I am doing that might be causing the CEL. also, although the extra power is nice with the stage 1, I do feel that it isn't the smoothest tune and is quite inconsistent at times. specifically, sometimes I feel like it pulls like a freight train when I stomp on it and at other times the power seems underwhelming. maybe it's just me but has anyone else experienced this too?
Mine has been very consistent. Although I rarely use more than 1/2-3/4 throttle at any time. Living in a city, where speed limits are 45-50MPH, I find myself 10MPH over way to easily. Plenty of LE around too.

Two of my three CEL's popped for no reason at all. I was just driving the car like a Prius or Civic and saw the Light on. The other time (which was my second CEL of the three), I had the car in Sport and the shifter to M/S, did a relatively hard acceleration from 10 MPH to about 60 MPH and released the gas. Looked and the CEL was on.

So I am thinking it doesn't really matter how you drive the car or what mode it is in, the ECU is reading something that it doesn't like and pops the light.

Since the CEL isn't a major fault (other than from the owners perspective of seeing it on their $50K + car), hoping the Stage 2 (which I will purchase), remedies the issue.

I'm curious if any M240i owner would care to comment on the .v2 stage 1 comparing it to the .v1. Any CEL's? Do you notice a performance hit?
thanks for the info, it's good to know that even when driving it like a Prius you are getting a CEL at times. lol. I drive mine 90% off the time in manual mode with sport button on and have noticed when I really stomp on it shortly after starting my trip to whenever I'm going, I'll get a CEL. i'm careful not to rev over 4k until engine oil is up to temp, but I will still get on it pretty good. haven't noticed any CELs when not in manual sport mode but don't do that very often either.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 09:54 PM   #223
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
yeah i hear you. I've also been paying close attention to how i'm driving the car and particularly accelerating to see if I can figure out if it is something I am doing that might be causing the CEL. also, although the extra power is nice with the stage 1, I do feel that it isn't the smoothest tune and is quite inconsistent at times. specifically, sometimes I feel like it pulls like a freight train when I stomp on it and at other times the power seems underwhelming. maybe it's just me but has anyone else experienced this too?
Yes I feel the same inconsistencies as you.

In fact I decided to test this yesterday because lately it feels like the car isnt pulling very hard.

I turned the tune off and, if anything, it pulls harder with the tune off!!

Then other times with the tune on it pulls scary fast.

Another thing I've noticed is that sometimes the app wont find or connect to the module at all. Sometimes it drops connection in the middle of communicating with it.

I think that these modules might be glitching or turning on/off randomly which could be causing the consistency perception.

I've already had my harness replaced and everything seemed fine for a few months but now I feel like sometimes when I start the car there is no extra power. The only thing I can say is my car does not throw codes since I've gotten a new harness.

I very much feel the tune is inconsistent.

Dinan_Engineering do you have any ideas what this could be?
I am hesitant to take this into the dealer because no CEL is on and, like others have mentioned, its not consistent. Odds are dealer is going to tell me they can find nothing and it will be 2-4 hours of wasted time for me.
that's a bit of relief to hear i'm not the only one who feels the inconsistency so it's not just in my head. you are right that sometimes it feels like there is no power at all and then other times the power comes on so strong it surprises me. so did you switch to the v2 tune or do you still have the v1?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 09:59 AM   #224
tennisfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
that's a bit of relief to hear i'm not the only one who feels the inconsistency so it's not just in my head. you are right that sometimes it feels like there is no power at all and then other times the power comes on so strong it surprises me. so did you switch to the v2 tune or do you still have the v1?
Still have the v1.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 12:56 PM   #225
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

I wonder if the CEL might be caused by this
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1432727
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 06:06 PM   #226
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Still have the v1.
I didn't realize they would just switch the harness. also, i'm hoping maybe the v2 will be more consistent.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 01:18 PM   #227
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240Xi Estoril Blue

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Still have the v1.
I didn't realize they would just switch the harness. also, i'm hoping maybe the v2 will be more consistent.
I had a few issues with CEL's on my V1, had the tuner replaced, still had issues, and then had the harness replaced. Seems to have solved the problem. Haven't had a single issue in 20K miles. She still rips like the day it was installed.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 02:08 PM   #228
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleHeinz View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Still have the v1.
I had a few issues with CEL's on my V1, had the tuner replaced, still had issues, and then had the harness replaced. Seems to have solved the problem. Haven't had a single issue in 20K miles. She still rips like the day it was installed.
thanks for the feedback! so are you currently on version 2 of the software or still on v1?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 11:57 AM   #229
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Still have the v1.
thanks for the feedback! so are you currently on version 2 of the software or still on v1?
Still on V1.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 06:11 PM   #230
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Still have the v1.
Still on V1.
ok thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 10:10 AM   #231
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
thanks for the info, it's good to know that even when driving it like a Prius you are getting a CEL at times. lol. I drive mine 90% off the time in manual mode with sport button on and have noticed when I really stomp on it shortly after starting my trip to whenever I'm going, I'll get a CEL. i'm careful not to rev over 4k until engine oil is up to temp, but I will still get on it pretty good. haven't noticed any CELs when not in manual sport mode but don't do that very often either.
Took the car out yesterday and threw another CEL, 1/2 throttle rolling 5 MPH to get into traffic. Car still runs fine, taking it out today for some errands and will see if cycling it a few times doesn't clear the code. I'll see how this continues going forward. A PITA to see the CEL but as long as no damage is done, not a huge deal. Still have the Stage 2 on my "to-do" list. <sigh>
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 06:12 PM   #232
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Took the car out yesterday and threw another CEL, 1/2 throttle rolling 5 MPH to get into traffic. Car still runs fine, taking it out today for some errands and will see if cycling it a few times doesn't clear the code. I'll see how this continues going forward. A PITA to see the CEL but as long as no damage is done, not a huge deal. Still have the Stage 2 on my "to-do" list. <sigh>
that's a bummer! a threw another one last night just driving home from the gym. i'm taking it to the dealership on Thursday to have it looked at. also, i'm buying that OBD II adapter and downloading that coding app so then I can clear them myself.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 07:23 PM   #233
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Mine cleared today after three restarts. I can live with this until the stage 2. Car is running fine. I suppose I can buy a code checker/clearer, but now that I get the sequence of how it clears by itself..I see no need.

So now the routine is, if car threw a CEL last time out, it will clear, the next time I drive it. If I park the car w/o a CEL being thrown, next time out, it will throw a CEL. Car still drives fine, so waiting on the Dinan Flash tune now.

Last edited by USA-RET; 03-01-2019 at 08:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 08:28 AM   #234
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mine cleared today after three restarts. I can live with this until the stage 2. Car is running fine. I suppose I can buy a code checker/clearer, but now that I get the sequence of how it clears by itself..I see no need.
yeah I'm kind of thinking the same thing especially if the stage 2 should be out later this year.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 07:53 PM   #235
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'm pretty disappointed to hear the continued problems with the Stage 1 V1 guys. After having both the tuner ECU and wiring harness replaced, I haven't popped a CEL in 20K miles. It's run like a champ. I'm torn between getting the free flow exhaust to go with the Dinan midpipe I put on right after buying the car, or getting the Stage 2 tune to go with the CF Dinan Intake. Dinan_Engineering any more movement on when the Stage 2 for the B58/F22 will land?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 11:15 AM   #236
ager416
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i MT6 w. Dinan S1!

Quote:
Update on my Dinan intake.

Install completed on Friday.
It was pretty simple.
I need to thank @rickd for giving a few tips on install Dinan missed, these helped a lot.
Quote:
The instructions were a bit off, the clips for lid should be bent back away from the box and then back in towards the box to remove them. Then the bottom silicone host should be installed first, then put in the tube and intake box. You can't get to the screw to tighten the hose clamp on the turbo intake.
As for how it feels?

Well IMO I feel like the car has actually lost a tad from 1-3k RPM's but has more top end 5+k.

Could it all be in my mind??? Maybe but impossible to say now because I'm not uninstalling it to find out.

I'm looking forward to a Stage 2 tune that maybe can optimize the potential of this intake.
hey - any further thoughts on the dinan CAI? think it's worth the dough?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 11:41 AM   #237
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 STi - IAG Trojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ager416 View Post
Good subtle sound, slight performance increase, great looking, ..... for the money, def a NO-BRAINer!
      02-23-2019, 11:54 AM   #238
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikman011 View Post
Quote:
Good subtle sound, slight performance increase, great looking, ..... for the money, def a NO-BRAINer!
And it's also just plain nice to look at when the hood is up.
Appreciate 1
nikman011174.50
      02-24-2019, 09:25 AM   #239
tennisfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:

I think it was worth it but I didn't buy it expecting huge gains either.

Yes you notice a small difference but its no tune.
Its beautiful though!!
Appreciate 1
Bobby P88.50
      02-24-2019, 02:28 PM   #240
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
yeah I'm kind of thinking the same thing especially if the stage 2 should be out later this year.
just wanted to provide an update on my check engine light situation. took the car to the dealership last week to have it looked at and they said there was a recall on it so had to reprogram the whole car. they are thinking this was causing the check engine lights and not the dinan tune. drove it around this weekend and haven't gotten a CEL yet (knock on wood) so that's good. also the car seems much smoother now and I'm not noticing the inconsistencies in power I was before, which I thought was also caused by the tune. I need to drive it around some more but so far I'm much happier with the car since the reprogram!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 02:29 PM   #241
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Update on my Dinan intake.

Install completed on Friday.
It was pretty simple.
I need to thank @rickd for giving a few tips on install Dinan missed, these helped a lot.
Quote:
The instructions were a bit off, the clips for lid should be bent back away from the box and then back in towards the box to remove them. Then the bottom silicone host should be installed first, then put in the tube and intake box. You can't get to the screw to tighten the hose clamp on the turbo intake.
As for how it feels?

Well IMO I feel like the car has actually lost a tad from 1-3k RPM's but has more top end 5+k.

Could it all be in my mind??? Maybe but impossible to say now because I'm not uninstalling it to find out.

I'm looking forward to a Stage 2 tune that maybe can optimize the potential of this intake.
yeah it looks nice and I feel like it decreased the throttle lag slightly when starting off. however I can't really hear it like I could the afe intake I had on my m235i so I kind of miss that.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 03:28 PM   #242
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
just wanted to provide an update on my check engine light situation. took the car to the dealership last week to have it looked at and they said there was a recall on it so had to reprogram the whole car. they are thinking this was causing the check engine lights and not the dinan tune. drove it around this weekend and haven't gotten a CEL yet (knock on wood) so that's good. also the car seems much smoother now and I'm not noticing the inconsistencies in power I was before, which I thought was also caused by the tune. I need to drive it around some more but so far I'm much happier with the car since the reprogram!
You've piqued my interest. Are you saying there was a recall or service bulletin on the M240 regarding the ECU? Re-programing the ECU?

If so can you provide the Service Bulletin number? Check your paperwork from BMW it should have the information about what was done.

If there is a reprogram that eliminates the CEL I would certainly like to know.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0