THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Throttle lag

07-24-2017, 03:36 PM   #23
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

A guy I talked to said his throttle lag was eliminated with one of these.

https://www.racechip.co.uk/throttle-tuning/xlr.html
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 06:04 PM   #24
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain underpants View Post
Hiya All,

I have an automatic M240i and am generally happy with it but have noticed resently that from a stop position there is a slight delay when pressing the accelerator and moving off. I find that it's more noticeable driving in eco and normal mode. In sport or sport + it isn't as bad but it's still there. Also when driving and at constant speed and I need to step down on accelerating the delay is there.

I googled this and on bimmerfest there are posts about "tip-in" back in 2011 about 5 series owner experiencing the same thing.

-Has anyone else with a 2 series experienced this?

-Is this a "characteristic" of the brand?

-if this is an issue, has anyone in the U.K. been successful in getting this rectified?

Thanks
My 240i has no throttle lag
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 07:10 PM   #25
Rob2009
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain underpants View Post
Hiya All,

I have an automatic M240i and am generally happy with it but have noticed resently that from a stop position there is a slight delay when pressing the accelerator and moving off. I find that it's more noticeable driving in eco and normal mode. In sport or sport + it isn't as bad but it's still there. Also when driving and at constant speed and I need to step down on accelerating the delay is there.

I googled this and on bimmerfest there are posts about "tip-in" back in 2011 about 5 series owner experiencing the same thing.

-Has anyone else with a 2 series experienced this?

-Is this a "characteristic" of the brand?

-if this is an issue, has anyone in the U.K. been successful in getting this rectified?

Thanks
Hi, did you get your throttle issue sorted?

I have exactly the same on my auto M240i, if I come off the throttle or almost stop, and then immediately want go again, there is a delay. If I compensate by pressing the throttle further, when it does eventually go....I’m hanging on for dear life! Maybe I need to adapt my driving style, but it’s really frustrating all the same.
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      10-31-2017, 07:19 PM   #26
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Dinan Stage 1 eliminates the "from a dead stop " throttle lag in comfort mode (and sport mode also although even w/o the Dinan, the lag in "sport" was less).

If I do a pause rather than a full stop, I still have a bit of lag when i apply the gas pedal, but still way less than when the car was stock.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 07:39 AM   #27
Rob2009
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Hi, in an ideal world I'd rather keep the car as stock, I guess any tune will affect the warranty?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 07:57 AM   #28
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 STi - IAG Trojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2009 View Post
Hi, in an ideal world I'd rather keep the car as stock, I guess any tune will affect the warranty?
Dinan Stage 1 Elite tune will NOT affect the warranty
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 03:50 PM   #29
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 xdrive, X3M40i

Mine has exact same issue.
Slight throttle input delay from stop or at very slow speed. it is quite noticeable going through stop signs or doing slow right turn at intersection.

When it happens, throttle hesitates about half second, then surge (because I was kept pressing pedal as there is nothing going on)

It seems like it's related to transmission.
ECU and TCM might not be able to decide fast enough to select a gear to grab. (it almost always happens in 1st and 2nd gear)

I tried this in manual mode, and it never hesitate. (not moving the gear lever to left, just using pedals). As far as I know, manual gear selection does not change throttle response.

I contacted BMW Genius regarding this and if there is any updated ECU/TCM calibration.
They are just suggesting to visit the service center.
I will see if dealer service center has any update.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 05:06 PM   #30
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Many electronic throttles suffer this same behavior.

https://www.google.com/search?client...w=1134&bih=530

Lots of talk across the board.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 05:48 PM   #31
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 xdrive, X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
Many electronic throttles suffer this same behavior.

https://www.google.com/search?client...w=1134&bih=530

Lots of talk across the board.
This is not that typical electronic throttle issue.
It's part of it, but little different.

I know there is always slight delay from pedal to throttle due to the nature of throttle by wire.

I can feel that "normal" delay almost all the time in comfort mode. It's very little and not the point of annoyance. Also, it's very consistent amount of delay.

The issue is when the vehicle when is almost stopped and try to accelerate gently. This delay a lot longer than normal delay and very inconsistent.

I figure this longer delay disappears with transmission in manual mode.

I tested multiple operating conditions and pretty much duplicate the same longer delay issue anytime. (BTW, I'm test engineer at heavy truck company, not the power train test though).

I'm curious this issue is isolated to 2 series, because I don't see this problem in my wife's 2013 X3 with N55 engine at all.

We will see what dealer says.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 06:38 PM   #32
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TajoMan View Post
This is not that typical electronic throttle issue.
It's part of it, but little different.

I know there is always slight delay from pedal to throttle due to the nature of throttle by wire.

I can feel that "normal" delay almost all the time in comfort mode. It's very little and not the point of annoyance. Also, it's very consistent amount of delay.

The issue is when the vehicle when is almost stopped and try to accelerate gently. This delay a lot longer than normal delay and very inconsistent.

I figure this longer delay disappears with transmission in manual mode.

I tested multiple operating conditions and pretty much duplicate the same longer delay issue anytime. (BTW, I'm test engineer at heavy truck company, not the power train test though).

I'm curious this issue is isolated to 2 series, because I don't see this problem in my wife's 2013 X3 with N55 engine at all.

We will see what dealer says.
Before I installed the Dinan Elite, I had what I would describe as a "Stumble" on take off, not huge, but still noticeable. I had the same thing w/ my 2105 Mini Cooper S. JCW tune fixed that also.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 08:59 PM   #33
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikman011 View Post
Bullshit. Considering the fact that if the dealer finds the Dinan tune to be directly responsible for the warranty claim, they'll deny it and you'll need to pursue Dinan for a resolution, I don't think you can say "it will not affect the warranty". I think it's a pretty big effect when you have the potential to have to chase down a third party for warranty claims.
      12-06-2017, 09:23 PM   #34
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58togo View Post
Quote:
Bullshit. Considering the fact that if the dealer finds the Dinan tune to be directly responsible for the warranty claim, they'll deny it and you'll need to pursue Dinan for a resolution, I don't think you can say "it will not affect the warranty". I think it's a pretty big effect when you have the potential to have to chase down a third party for warranty claims.
I have already read 2 or 3 instances where someone had an issue and they had a Dinan tune and there was no problem, and have read where someone had a defective tune that was causing problems and Dinan and the dealer worked on it with no penalty to the car owner. Also, my dealer (who introduced and encouraged me to modify with Dinan products), or I should say the service mgr that has done all my Dinan part installs has assured me that any issues related to my vehicle, either Dinan, or BMW will be taken care. For the most post, stuff works out how it should, but every once and while things go to shit.
      12-07-2017, 08:37 AM   #35
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Perhaps one would have to do a bit more leg-work to resolve a problem w/ the engine if they installed the Stage 1 tune themselves. Still, Dinan will stand behind any damages not covered by your BMW factory warranty.

That being said if the install was done by a BMW dealership who is also a Dinan dealer, any problems should be as easy to resolve as any normal warranty related issue. Bumper to bumper, intake to exhaust...all covered in one fashion or another. No extra leg-work or headache to the car owner.

The extra $150-$175 (labor charge) for a dealer install is worth is peace of mind IMO (regardless of how simple an installation may be).

Of course there are those owners that want to run 87 octane to save $6 a tank in their $50K investment. So whatever floats your boat.
Appreciate 1
nikman011174.50
      12-07-2017, 08:46 AM   #36
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
. . . The extra $150-$175 (labor charge) for a dealer install is worth is peace of mind IMO (regardless of how simple an installation may be).

Of course there are those owners that want to run 87 octane to save $6 a tank in their $50K investment. . . .
The labor cost on the spring/bump install WAS crazy high, and I am pretty sure that I could have had it done elsewhere and save about $300, but like you said PoM is worth the price for me, ..... also 93 octane, higher if I can find it, .... I kill this car, I am taking the bus for the next couple of years
      12-07-2017, 02:54 PM   #37
ivanj308
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i DownPipe MHD

Same issues here

I am having the same issue 2017 M240i.
Mine is a 6MT so it is not an auto transmission issue.
Vehicle has about 1900miles

It is so intrusive I am surprised that there are not more people complaining about the issue.

I am scheduled to get a Dinan elite installed next Friday but I am wondering if I should have the dealer take a look at this issue first.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 03:37 PM   #38
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

I've had this issue on my form x3 and now current m235i. Both were auto and both xdrive. Sounds like same issue with m240i. Lease up in March and think I'll be moving on as it really is annoying and at times dangerous when changing lanes and nothing really happens for a 1/2 second. Too bad.
      12-08-2017, 05:16 PM   #39
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240Xi Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58togo View Post
Quote:
I just went through a warranty issue with my m240 and Dinan. You can find the post in the general 2er section.

Long story short, Dinan Stage 1 elite was causing issues that took a few trips (many weeks with a loaner car) into service to detect and resolve.

Dinan stepped up to the plate and had dealer replace damaged sensors and the actual Dinan tuner. No $$ out of my pocket since it was dealer installed and car is still under both warranties.

As far as throttle lag, yes, the m240 has it and the stage 1 Dinan helps to resolve this.
Appreciate 1
nikman011174.50
      12-09-2017, 12:42 AM   #40
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

If the turbo is spooled (above approx 2000RPM), there is no throttle lag on our stock 2017 M240i with manual transmission.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2017, 01:35 PM   #41
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
I'm thinking of going Stage 1 Dinan in my 228ix. Would it cause any issues after the warranty expires. I plan to keep it for a long time and don't want any surprises related to the tuner. Will it increase performance by much.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 02:42 PM   #42
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

If you don't have a issue during the warranty period unlikely you will after the warranty. If the tuner is going to throw any faults it will likely do so after install (in which case Dinan/BMW warranty will cover)
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 10:27 AM   #43
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
If you don't have a issue during the warranty period unlikely you will after the warranty. If the tuner is going to throw any faults it will likely do so after install (in which case Dinan/BMW warranty will cover)
Ok, thanks. I was hesitant, retired here and I don't want any $$$issues down the road. If I decide to do this install should I mention this to my BMW dealer as I have a friend who owns a business, works only on Eureopean cars and is Dinan certified so he will do the install. He assured me that BMW/Dinan would cover any issues with a Dinan install. He has never had any major issues with a stage 1 Dinan tuner. And the dealer has been very good to me as I have 2 BMW's. It looks like it is easy to remove in case any issues do come up.

Last edited by Rayscott; 12-10-2017 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 10:33 AM   #44
Rayscott
Major
Rep

What would a Dina Stage 1 tuner do to my 2016 228ix. I like the fact that it corrects turbo lag but what about overall performance. I read 46hp increase from the Dinan website. Does that sound about right.
Appreciate 0