THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Condensation on F23 windshield when top up

02-12-2019, 05:00 PM   #1
PerryMason
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240i Convertible

Question Condensation on F23 windshield when top up

Hi there...

Have a 2018 M240i near Tampa, FL. Got it a couple of months ago, but only used it a few times as this was a vacation home for us. Just moved here full time this weekend from Chicago.

Windshield was fine when the top was down, but it started raining this afternoon so top went up. With the top up, I was a bit warm, so turned on the AC. Temp outside was high 70’s and it seemed fairly humid. Condensation began to form and it got kind of bad. Tried playing with various settings while driving back from the store. The most successful was to turn the heat up higher. That was not fun.

So, I think I have three controls at my disposal for this, but would be happy to learn of more:

1. AC on or off
2. Temperature controls
3. Button that looks like a circulation control with an ‘A’ or ‘C’ as options

Did I miss anything?

Based on being in Florida, are there suggestions about the best settings to try when the top is up and outside conditions are warm/hot and fairly humid?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 05:40 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

defroster button

upper dash temp knob (under central vents)

Of course windshield wiper for condensation on outer window.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 05:45 PM   #3
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Defroster high with heat turned up and vent knob all the way to red. I get a lot of condensation every day because of the colder temps and higher humidity/moisture in the air in the NW this time of year and this recipe works like a charm.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 10:33 PM   #4
PerryMason
Rep

Just read the manual (easier to do when not driving). Apparently pressing the ‘Auto’ button on the driver side will invoke a condensation sensor that is used to detect and mitigate.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by PerryMason; 02-12-2019 at 10:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 03:04 AM   #5
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
BMW officially suggests you use Auto all the time with AC on (condensation reasons). This is due to the fact that it will regulate the ambient air and adjust as necessary, not just in terms of temperature but condensation as well. You should leave the recirculating on A (stands for auto).

For example the settings I use is as follows (probably sound a bit OCD but here we go )

-Temperature set to 23C (scientifically proven ideal ambient temperature for humans)
-Blower on Auto with speed at the middle
-Recirculation on Auto
-AC on

Give this a go, see if you like them...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 07:49 AM   #6
PerryMason
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omera60 View Post
BMW officially suggests you use Auto all the time with AC on (condensation reasons). This is due to the fact that it will regulate the ambient air and adjust as necessary, not just in terms of temperature but condensation as well. You should leave the recirculating on A (stands for auto).

For example the settings I use is as follows (probably sound a bit OCD but here we go )

-Temperature set to 23C (scientifically proven ideal ambient temperature for humans)
-Blower on Auto with speed at the middle
-Recirculation on Auto
-AC on

Give this a go, see if you like them...
Thanks! Will try today.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 10:22 AM   #7
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
Congratulations on the move to Tampa from Chicago. My wife and I plan on getting a vacation place in Bradenton Beach in the next couple years with plans to "winter" there once we retire in about 10 years. If all goes well, my M235i vert will become the permanent Florida car when it's time for me to find a replacement DD. Our summer conditions here in Louisville are very similar to the current Florida conditions with regard to temp and humidity and I find keeping the temp set to 72 degrees and everything in "Auto" works well. Enjoy the warmer weather while your friends and family in Chicagoland are praying for Spring.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0