THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Tighter suspension in sport+ mode?

11-07-2018, 12:46 AM   #1
svp1818
Rep
Drives: M240i Cab

Tighter suspension in sport+ mode?

I dropped my '18 F23 into sport+ mode tonight for the first time in a long time... and it felt like I found a tighter, better controlled suspension setting vs. the sport mode I typically run in. I confirmed I have the suspension and drivetrain option selected for the sport mode... so I'm trying to figure out why this feels tighter. I've read thru a bunch of other postings and read thru stuff on the BMW website and I'm not seeing anyone reporting a third suspension setting. Anyone else ever noticed this? Is it possible they created a third setting and haven't made a big announcement about it? Am I just fooling myself here?
      11-07-2018, 07:39 AM   #2
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

Id say read the manual, there are many setting options, mostly ECO/COMFORT/SPORT/SPORT+/DSC OFF

each one does different things. Sport + will offer the stiffest suspension EDC and tighter steering input while also holding gear till red line.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2018, 10:47 AM   #3
svp1818
Rep
Drives: M240i Cab

I hear you, but trust me, I did read the manual before making the post. It doesn't describe there being a specific separate higher suspension pre-set to align with Sport+. It describes it as "sporty driving with optimized chassis and suspension...", while the Sport setting description says "...consistently sporty tuning of the suspension...". So the descriptions are different but vague. The general conversation online seems to be that there are 2 settings for the suspension- comfort and sport.... but maybe there are three?

Any other thoughts/insights?
      11-07-2018, 06:24 PM   #4
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by svp1818 View Post
I hear you, but trust me, I did read the manual before making the post. It doesn't describe there being a specific separate higher suspension pre-set to align with Sport+. It describes it as "sporty driving with optimized chassis and suspension...", while the Sport setting description says "...consistently sporty tuning of the suspension...". So the descriptions are different but vague. The general conversation online seems to be that there are 2 settings for the suspension- comfort and sport.... but maybe there are three?

See post #5 in this thread: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1522701

I found that chart invaluable as I tried to understand how BMW implemented its different modes - although, I can't say I understand everything in the chart. The manual is, of course, a joke, and not only in this regard.

My take is that there are four principal modes in our cars: ECO, Comfort, Sport, and Sport+. You will notice that the main difference between Sport and Sport+ is that the latter invokes Dynamic Traction Control (DTC).

I don't use either of the Sport modes, so I can't share any experiences of them. The modes I do use are Comfort on the street and DSC OFF on the track.
Appreciate 1
bryan_G011164.50
      11-09-2018, 07:19 PM   #5
ralawren
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i MSport w/Trk Pkg

EDC only has two modes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by svp1818 View Post

See post #5 in this thread: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1522701

I found that chart invaluable as I tried to understand how BMW implemented its different modes - although, I can't say I understand everything in the chart. The manual is, of course, a joke, and not only in this regard.

My take is that there are four principal modes in our cars: ECO, Comfort, Sport, and Sport+. You will notice that the main difference between Sport and Sport+ is that the latter invokes Dynamic Traction Control (DTC).

I don't use either of the Sport modes, so I can't share any experiences of them. The modes I do use are Comfort on the street and DSC OFF on the track.
Per Dinan the EDC only has two modes for the damper settings. Economy/Comfort is one and Sport/Sport+ is the second. Dinan's EDC update moves BMW's Sport setting to the first position and replaces the Sport/Sport+ with a more responsive program.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4179.00
      11-10-2018, 06:57 AM   #6
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

your in a 228, do you have adaptive suspension option?
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 10:50 AM   #7
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralawren View Post
Per Dinan the EDC only has two modes for the damper settings. Economy/Comfort is one and Sport/Sport+ is the second. Dinan's EDC update moves BMW's Sport setting to the first position and replaces the Sport/Sport+ with a more responsive program.
Thanks - that's useful information, and not necessarily clear reading the chart.

I recall reading Dinan's Shockware page when I was looking at a 228i. Dinan doesn't seem to offer the product for the M235i/M240i.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 10:54 AM   #8
ralawren
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
your in a 228, do you have adaptive suspension option?
Yes , 228i with EDC or adaptive suspension. Really just damper adjustment. Came with Track Handling Package in 2015+.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 12:09 AM   #9
230iZTR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Signal Orange wrapped 230i THP

I’ve got a 230i with the Track Handling Package’s adaptive dampers.

The dampers are bi-modal: soft or stiff.

The full range of “eco” & “comfort” set the dampers to soft, and “sport” and “sport+“ adjust the dampers to stiff.

Each of those settings also has specific transmission, throttle, traction control, and climate control settings to go along with them.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 08:12 AM   #10
ralawren
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230iZTR View Post
I’ve got a 230i with the Track Handling Package’s adaptive dampers.

The dampers are bi-modal: soft or stiff.

The full range of “eco” & “comfort” set the dampers to soft, and “sport” and “sport+“ adjust the dampers to stiff.

Each of those settings also has specific transmission, throttle, traction control, and climate control settings to go along with them.
Correct. If you purchase the Dinan Shockware they move the stiffer factory Sport setting to Eco/Comfort and replace Sport/Sport+ with an improved program.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2019, 08:42 PM   #11
Shadowfax028
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

Quote:
Correct. If you purchase the Dinan Shockware they move the stiffer factory Sport setting to Eco/Comfort and replace Sport/Sport+ with an improved program.
Improved????
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 09:08 PM   #12
ralawren
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfax028 View Post
Quote:
Improved????
I have not had the software installed but am seriously considering it. The Dinan website states the new software loaded into Sport/Sport+ is firmer yet actually more compliant in rough road situations. In addition Comfort/Eco is the old BMW Sport setting. I read every post on the 3 Series and 2 Series site and most posters agree.

Some say it is dramatic but most just say it is an improved feeling and they are glad they had it installed. Dinan states you will notice the difference but performance is much improved if you add Dinan Springs.

I suggest you do your own research but am pretty confident that it is worth the $300 ($205 + about $100 for labor).

Let me know what you decide and good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 07:36 AM   #13
Sypher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 228i xdrive

I have the Shockware tune on my car for a while now. The increase in stiffness is noticeable but not incredibly significant. It certainly helped reduce the bounciness when going over bumps (stock felt like the car was slightly under dampened). Mind you all the software does is shift the Sport/Sport+ setting into Eco/Comfort, and slightly stiffen the Sport/Sport+ setting. Is it worth it? If you're not planning to go coilover anytime soon, yes. It's not that expensive now (used to be over $400) and it's a noticeable improvement.

This is only for 228/230 vehicles though; Dinan never got around to doing this for 235/240.
Appreciate 0