THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum m240i 2020 8AT whine ???

10-12-2019, 02:49 PM   #1
zutal
Rep
Drives: M240i 2020 8-speed

m240i 2020 8AT whine ???

Hello guys , im having some whine coming from my car, dont know if its normal..... i had a m135i before and never heard a whine in 4 years... here is a vid.

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 04:56 AM   #2
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Is it the engine or the transmission? It’s under warranty, so take it to the dealer.
Appreciate 2
      10-14-2019, 11:25 PM   #3
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

My 2018 doesn't do that. New ASD software update for 2020 to make it sound supercharged?
      10-15-2019, 07:55 AM   #4
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
I never understand - people with brand new cars - under warranty - simple take it and get it checked under warranty, you paid for it, use it.
Appreciate 2
      10-15-2019, 09:13 AM   #5
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGTI View Post
I never understand - people with brand new cars - under warranty - simple take it and get it checked under warranty, you paid for it, use it.
Best to avoid the dealership if you can. I'm sure that's what OP is thinking here. If it's an easy fix or considered normal, why leave the car in someone else's hands where further damage or problems can result? Or have you actually had positive experiences with car dealerships in the past?
      10-15-2019, 09:47 AM   #6
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
Best to avoid the dealership if you can. I'm sure that's what OP is thinking here. If it's an easy fix or considered normal, why leave the car in someone else's hands where further damage or problems can result? Or have you actually had positive experiences with car dealerships in the past?
Whether or not you have had positive experiences with dealers in the past should not be factored into the equation.

You purchased a new car, it has a warranty, have them diagnose it. If you are not satisfied, escalate it.

Every single problem that could possibly go wrong with my vehicle I could fix myself, but why would I when I purchased a brand new vehicle?

Oh and OP, my 2019 model does not make that noise.
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00
      10-15-2019, 10:44 AM   #7
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmaddog View Post
Quote:
Whether or not you have had positive experiences with dealers in the past should not be factored into the equation.

You purchased a new car, it has a warranty, have them diagnose it. If you are not satisfied, escalate it.

Every single problem that could possibly go wrong with my vehicle I could fix myself, but why would I when I purchased a brand new vehicle?

Oh and OP, my 2019 model does not make that noise.
Dealership competence should absolutely be factored into the equation. Buying a new car brings peace of mind partly because expensive, mileage-related repairs aren't happening and you presumably don't have to visit the dealership for anything other than maybe routine maintenance. If you get unlucky, however, and end up with an issue, yes, you are entitled to use the warranty, but I only see it as prudent and diligent to investigate before resorting to that. Uploading a quick video and asking a question to this community is a lot less painful than making time to visit the dealership. If OP can't get it resolved on his own, then of course his warranty will be there to fall back on. Either way, doing homework on a servicing dealership and establishing a relationship with the employees there is always the best approach. Otherwise, assuming your car will be fine at any ole' dealership just because having a new car warranty gives you the warm and fuzzies is a perfect example of the "ignorance is bliss" method of living life.
      10-15-2019, 07:30 PM   #8
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: rust-free '93 Toyota 2wd

My 2020 8AT does not do that, and I came from a supercharged 3.0 V6 so I know what a sweet SC sounds like.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 07:46 AM   #9
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Quote:
Dealership competence should absolutely be factored into the equation. Buying a new car brings peace of mind partly because expensive, mileage-related repairs aren't happening and you presumably don't have to visit the dealership for anything other than maybe routine maintenance. If you get unlucky, however, and end up with an issue, yes, you are entitled to use the warranty, but I only see it as prudent and diligent to investigate before resorting to that. Uploading a quick video and asking a question to this community is a lot less painful than making time to visit the dealership. If OP can't get it resolved on his own, then of course his warranty will be there to fall back on. Either way, doing homework on a servicing dealership and establishing a relationship with the employees there is always the best approach. Otherwise, assuming your car will be fine at any ole' dealership just because having a new car warranty gives you the warm and fuzzies is a perfect example of the "ignorance is bliss" method of living life.
That's cute, you threw out "ignorance is bliss" while discussing a random whining noise video on an internet car forum.

The fact of the matter is simple, his issue is not widespread, nor common. Once you realize that, getting a bunch of random conjecture on the internet does not help anyone. (Not saying it was not in his best interest to try, I am stating the obvious in his personal case with this whining noise)

You do not need warm "fuzzies" or a "relationship" from people at the BMW dealer to use a little common sense.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 10:53 AM   #10
guy688i
Rep
Drives: M240xi, X3

I just noticed my 2019 M240xi started doing this (before seeing this post). It went in for an oil change and software update last week. It’s possible I didn’t notice it before, but it’s definitely there at lower RPM.

I haven’t driven the car much recently, but I’m going for a longer drive today and I’ll report back.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 12:15 PM   #11
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
Knock on wood my wife's X1 and my M240i have not had to use the warranty. But the dealership has been great for the schedule oil change. (I change every 5,000 mile outside their OCI). I have had a positive experience with my Mini Cooper when it was under warranty as well.
I agree that not all dealerships are the same - and it will behoove the customer to research his / her dealership. That being said, from what I see in many posts, the info sources on the internet are largely a bunch of conjecture with no real thought process..

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 10:07 PM   #12
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmaddog View Post
Quote:
That's cute, you threw out "ignorance is bliss" while discussing a random whining noise video on an internet car forum.

The fact of the matter is simple, his issue is not widespread, nor common. Once you realize that, getting a bunch of random conjecture on the internet does not help anyone. (Not saying it was not in his best interest to try, I am stating the obvious in his personal case with this whining noise)

You do not need warm "fuzzies" or a "relationship" from people at the BMW dealer to use a little common sense.
Sorry if my last "ignorance is bliss" comment seemed like it was directed at you personally. I guess quoting you makes it look like that. I was just speaking generally about people who aren't concerned about their car on the same level as OCD people like me and consider taking their car in immediately as the first and best action to take when they encounter a problem. Different approaches, but to each his own. Just providing a contrasting viewpoint. That's all.
      10-18-2019, 10:24 PM   #13
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGTI View Post
Knock on wood my wife's X1 and my M240i have not had to use the warranty. But the dealership has been great for the schedule oil change. (I change every 5,000 mile outside their OCI). I have had a positive experience with my Mini Cooper when it was under warranty as well.
I agree that not all dealerships are the same - and it will behoove the customer to research his / her dealership. That being said, from what I see in many posts, the info sources on the internet are largely a bunch of conjecture with no real thought process..

Quote:
I hear you, and an oil change isn't something they are likely to get wrong. It's when an extended joy ride takes place or their McDonalds double cheeseburger ends up on your steering wheel during their lunch break, the latter of which I experienced personally earlier this year when I picked up my new 2019 Nissan Armada. If I leased, I'd probably just take it to the dealer for everything, but I am trying to keep my M240i for as long as humanly possible, so a lifetime of dealer visits for every little niggle or service just doesn't sit well with me (or my wallet haha).
      10-19-2019, 07:41 AM   #14
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by zutal View Post
Hello guys , im having some whine coming from my car, dont know if its normal..... i had a m135i before and never heard a whine in 4 years... here is a vid.

Hey Zutal, explain to me why you think that sound is coming from your 8AT? The car is in Park/neutral and you are revving the engine, not being driven, yes? At least from the video it seems like you are in park and the car is not being driven

If you are in park your transmissions isn't engaged.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 10:39 PM   #15
zutal
Rep
Drives: M240i 2020 8-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
Hey Zutal, explain to me why you think that sound is coming from your 8AT? The car is in Park/neutral and you are revving the engine, not being driven, yes? At least from the video it seems like you are in park and the car is not being driven

If you are in park your transmissions isn't engaged.
Hello friend, I dont know if its the engine or the 8AT , sadly im from chile, and i live near the antartic , I have to trip 2.000 miles for taking the car to a dealer.
the whine is there, i hear it on low rpm not on high rpm. he car runs good tho.
im doing the first oil change this week, i report if i see changes ! sorry for my bad english.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 09:14 AM   #16
Chelbaradu
Rep
Drives: bmw F36 430i

I know it's an older post, but did you manage to find out what the problem was? I have the same whine.. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 11:35 PM   #17
cdn240cab
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240 Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelbaradu View Post
I know it's an older post, but did you manage to find out what the problem was? I have the same whine.. thanks!
I swore my AT8 was whining, but the noise went away after an engine oil change. Changed viscosity from 0w20 to 5w30. Oil was about 8 months old, and had around 5000 highway miles (80+mph).
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 01:19 AM   #18
Chelbaradu
Rep
Drives: bmw F36 430i

Hello! I have the same noise as Zutal's.. I changed the oil with 5w30, I even changed the oil in the gearbox.. it remained the same.. I'm a bit lost
Appreciate 0