THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes m4 tension struts to go with lcas

05-19-2016, 02:54 PM   #45
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Not much but post 22 makes sense given that TS bushes are steel as is chassis pad that spacer face mates upto
      05-19-2016, 04:08 PM   #46
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: the wheels off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Not much but post 22 makes sense given that TS bushes are steel as is chassis pad that spacer face mates upto
The bushes in the F8x TSes I have appear to be aluminum. They're non-ferritic, anyway...
      05-19-2016, 05:02 PM   #47
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Ah ok.

Look forward to your review once TS fitted
      05-22-2016, 05:39 PM   #48
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep

My F8x tension struts are installed! Thanks a bunch to ICTZHP, who was in town and came over to help out, keep me company.

I can really see the difference on wheel placement: much, much better. I will verify alignment sometime soon. My guess is this may have added a little toe, and I want to run zero.

The spacers ended up being just a bit too thick, but a metal file made quick work of the issue: I ground off about half a millimeter off one side of each of the 1/2" spacers.

Here's a pic of the stock and F8x parts with a bolt holding them in the same place, to better compare lengths. The F8x tension strut is definitely longer.
Attached Images

05-22-2016, 11:02 PM   #49
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker View Post
My F8x tension struts are installed! Thanks a bunch to ICTZHP, who was in town and came over to help out, keep me company.

I can really see the difference on wheel placement: much, much better. I will verify alignment sometime soon. My guess is this may have added a little toe, and I want to run zero.

The spacers ended up being just a bit too thick, but a metal file made quick work of the issue: I ground off about half a millimeter off one side of each of the 1/2" spacers.

Here's a pic of the stock and F8x parts with a bolt holding them in the same place, to better compare lengths. The F8x tension strut is definitely longer.
Be careful with zero toe.... I did this after installing the LCA but, after 24k miles (I know 24k is not that bad) the PSS corded both front inside sides but still have some tread left in the middle and the shoulders.... I got new tires and did another alignment.... the toe before the alignment went to about 0.08 for both front tires, so I believe most of the wear got done at the beginning when I was running close to 0 toe and now they are probably wearing even but the damage was done at the beggining...

Now i did 0.04 for both front tires to be not so aggressive...

Let me know how yours are wearing out...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 11:19 PM   #50
ICTZHP
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and G06 X6

Quote:

Hey rwalker:

I appreciate the opportunity to participate in your project today and get to talk cars with a fellow enthusiast. I hope these work out for you. I am certainly interested to hear how you like them. The finished product looked great!

Thanks again for the hospitality,
John
Appreciate 1
WillOs7.00
      05-22-2016, 11:25 PM   #51
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Be careful with zero toe.... I did this after installing the LCA but, after 24k miles (I know 24k is not that bad) the PSS corded both front inside sides but still have some tread left in the middle and the shoulders.... I got new tires and did another alignment.... the toe before the alignment went to about 0.08 for both front tires, so I believe most of the wear got done at the beginning when I was running close to 0 toe and now they are probably wearing even but the damage was done at the beggining...

I can't get 24k out of a set of tires, maybe 12k. The car has 13k now, and I ran the stock tires down to 5-6/32" before fitting the 255s. The insides were worn more than the rest, which is why I've reduced toe with my new (~1k) MPSSes. I understand that zero static toe yields toe-out when the car's rolling, so I keep a tiny bit of toe-in.

The more I look at my car today, the more I think that using the stock tension struts with the F8x LCAs twisted the suspension geometry enough to have lowered the car. I know it's not intuitive, but I swear my ride height has increased with the F8x tension struts.

The initial mis-information we got about the length of the tension struts is really a shame. Thanks again, Pparana for saving us!
      05-22-2016, 11:36 PM   #52
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I can't get 24k out of a set of tires, maybe 12k. The car has 13k now, and I ran the stock tires down to 5-6/32" before fitting the 255s. The insides were worn more than the rest, which is why I've reduced toe with my new (~1k) MPSSes. I understand that zero static toe yields toe-out when the car's rolling, so I keep a tiny bit of toe-in.

The more I look at my car today, the more I think that using the stock tension struts with the F8x LCAs twisted the suspension geometry enough to have lowered the car. I know it's not intuitive, but I swear my ride height has increased with the F8x tension struts.

The initial mis-information we got about the length of the tension struts is really a shame. Thanks again, Pparana for saving us!
mmm... but if you wore the inside, if you reduce the toe they will wear the inside even more....

As I understand excesive toe in will wear the shoulders while excesive toe out will wear the inside.... So if inside is wearing faster you would want to less toe out or more tow in
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 11:38 PM   #53
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
mmm... but if you wore the inside, if you reduce the toe they will wear the inside even more....

As I understand excesive toe in will wear the shoulders while excesive toe out will wear the inside
that makes some sense... maybe I need to read up on alignment have a pointer to good resource for that?
      05-23-2016, 12:18 AM   #54
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker
Quote:

As I understand excesive toe in will wear the shoulders while excesive toe out will wear the inside
that makes some sense... maybe I need to read up on alignment have a pointer to good resource for that?
This was pretty helpful to me

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/175
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      05-23-2016, 07:09 AM   #55
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
RW,

Be interested to read your initial impressions of LCA + TS v LCA only once you've had sometime behind the wheel and to see BEFORE & AFTER photos to see what you mean about the ride height and wheel's position being more central in the wheel well.

Thanks in anticipation !!!

BP
      05-24-2016, 05:39 PM   #56
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:

toe wears tires (scrub), zero toe would be the least amount of wear. 24k is a lot of miles!

Most cars have toe in, so they track better on roads (straight line stability)
Zero toe can tend to follow the crowns of the roads, require lots of corrections and most people do not like it.

On a track which should be flat, zero toe is preferred, some people add some toe out but that is a whole other debate.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 05:44 PM   #57
Pparana
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Glad you got them installed, I just got in the larger spacers from summit, I may chamfer the edges if they do not go in easy.

If your running camber plates, max for street tires in the front is prob, 2.3-2.5, street tire carcasses are not supportive enough to take any more and your just giving up contact patch.

You should not need toe in on the front tires of rwd cars, you need toe in in the rear, as the drive wheels toe out under acceleration and also slightly by the suspension geometry (bmw).

You may want to run a real small amount of toe in on the front if you feel the car is too "darty" for your taste on surface streets.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 05:54 PM   #58
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana View Post
Glad you got them installed, I just got in the larger spacers from summit, I may chamfer the edges if they do not go in easy.
I had to knock maybe 0.5mm off the whole thing to get 'em in there, lightly tapping them in with a 3/8" socket extension and a mallet. Let us know how you fare.

Quote:
If your running camber plates, max for street tires in the front is prob, 2.3-2.5, street tire carcasses are not supportive enough to take any more and your just giving up contact patch.
Interesting to note. I'll have to post a pic of what my tires look like for feedback.

Quote:
You should not need toe in on the front tires of rwd cars, you need toe in in the rear, as the drive wheels toe out under acceleration and also slightly by the suspension geometry (bmw).

You may want to run a real small amount of toe in on the front if you feel the car is too "darty" for your taste on surface streets.
This is my understanding as well, and why I'm targeting zero toe.
      05-24-2016, 08:11 PM   #59
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
toe wears tires (scrub), zero toe would be the least amount of wear. 24k is a lot of miles!

Most cars have toe in, so they track better on roads (straight line stability)
Zero toe can tend to follow the crowns of the roads, require lots of corrections and most people do not like it.

On a track which should be flat, zero toe is preferred, some people add some toe out but that is a whole other debate.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 11:48 PM   #60
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

Quote:
know it's not intuitive, but I swear my ride height has increased with the F8x tension struts.
Now just think about it for a minute. When changing the length of the tension strut the pivot point is the top of the MacPherson strut. With the M lower control arm and the stock tension strut you have pulled the bottom of the MacPherson strut towards the front of the car (more castor) shortening the vertical distance from the top of the MacPherson strut to the ground. With the longer M tension strut you have pushed the bottom of the MacPherson strut towards the back of the the car (less castor, closer to vertical) increasing the vertical distance from the top of the strut to the ground.

Here is a crude pictogram of the MacPherson strut looking at the side of the car, keep in mind the MacPherson strut doesn't change length when the car is static.

Short tension strut.
More castor, less vertical height
' /
/

Long tension strut
Less castor, more vertical height
|
|
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 01:14 AM   #61
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post
Now just think about it for a minute. When changing the length of the tension strut the pivot point is the top of the MacPherson strut. With the M lower control arm and the stock tension strut you have pulled the bottom of the MacPherson strut towards the front of the car (more castor) shortening the vertical distance from the top of the MacPherson strut to the ground. With the longer M tension strut you have pushed the bottom of the MacPherson strut towards the back of the the car (less castor, closer to vertical) increasing the vertical distance from the top of the strut to the ground.

Here is a crude pictogram of the MacPherson strut looking at the side of the car, keep in mind the MacPherson strut doesn't change length when the car is static.

Short tension strut.
' /
/

Long tension strut
|
|
exactly, but not intuitive
      05-27-2016, 04:28 PM   #62
Pparana
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post

Short tension strut.
' /
/

Long tension strut
|
|

Not nessacarly you need to look at it in a 3 plane view x,y and z. You could be moving outward.

Either way i think just the lca upgrade is not the proper geometry as the tension struts need to ho with them.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 06:22 PM   #63
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I will verify alignment sometime soon. My guess is this may have added a little toe, and I want to run zero.
I have verified that moving from stock TSes to F8x TSes didn't affect my toe, according to my tool (http://alignyourcar.com/) I'm still at just inside 10' toe in.
      05-29-2016, 01:22 PM   #64
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I have verified that moving from stock TSes to F8x TSes didn't affect my toe, according to my tool (http://alignyourcar.com/) I'm still at just inside 10' toe in.
RW

Has camber and track changed since fitting TS's ?

BP
      05-29-2016, 03:20 PM   #65
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
RW

Has camber and track changed since fitting TS's ?

BP
hard for me to check track, I don't have a before measurement...

I'll check camber later today, but I'm not expecting a difference
      05-29-2016, 04:10 PM   #66
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
hard for me to check track, I don't have a before measurement...
Do the front wheels have more chance to rub (ie poke out further) with LCAs and TSs compared to just LCAs