THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Any positive or negative recs for cross country auto shippers

10-12-2019, 08:00 PM   #1
NVHoo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i red convertible

Any positive or negative recs for cross country auto shippers

Need to truck a car from PA to Vegas
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 09:08 PM   #2
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVHoo View Post
Need to truck a car from PA to Vegas
PM sent
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 06:48 AM   #3
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
The actual shipping is done by individual contractors with trucks. The companies are brokers, so unless one broker is better at vetting the truckers, it's pretty much the luck of the draw. That said, it is in the interest of reputable brokers not to have dissatisfied customers.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 07:42 AM   #4
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
The actual shipping is done by individual contractors with trucks. The companies are brokers, so unless one broker is better at vetting the truckers, it's pretty much the luck of the draw. That said, it is in the interest of reputable brokers not to have dissatisfied customers.
That is true in many, but not all cases. Some vehicle transport companies have their own fleet of haulers and the drivers are their direct employees. Often, they provide closed trailer service to vehicle manufacturers (not production going to dealers, but prototypes and show cars). Two examples are Select 1 Group and Reliable. Select 1 has provided me excellent service.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 09:29 AM   #5
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

You can't find anybody reliable willing to drive it for you, to Vegas? I'd think travel costs there and back would be cheaper. Dealerships often have employees who do this regularly, and if you ask around they may know somebody interested in freelancing to Vegas (would not go through a generic ride-broker, just use pros).
Use an enclosed trailer if at all possible. May help to get a quick estimate on cost to repair a single door ding, or paint-correct one panel, before you decide these are too expensive.
Use a company that either hires the drivers, or uses a regular pool of them.
Unless it is one of the dedicated transporters, I would only use a once-on, once-off company, no shuffling between trucks at a depot someplace.
If you go open-trailer, do not put a cover on it (wind whipping these will often buff through the paint); You could try to wrap it like the dealerships do, with cling-plastic or painters tape (buddy of mine got the dealership to give him the wraps as they unwrapped a new shipment and it worked well, but was many years ago and things may have changed).
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 11:43 AM   #6
M Smurf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Vehicle Shipping Group

I used these guys after doing a lot of research and talking with several brokers. Had my current ride shipped from Georgia to MN.

Would Definitely do it again.

https://www.vehicleshippinggroup.com/

One takeaway from my research is that BMWs needs attention paid to how it's tied down to the carrier, re the suspension. Bring that up once you decide to go this route.

Also similar if you ever get your car towed, FYI
Appreciate 0