THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum One Day M School

12-02-2020, 12:57 PM   #1
Lynx_Rufus
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

One Day M School

Just returned from Greer. While there are other M School threads on other forums, I thought I would provide an updated version.

I'll start by saying that I had a great time, I learned a lot, and was pleased by how aggressive we were able to be with the M cars. There are cheaper alternatives out there, but getting to experience the M cars in their natural habitat was well worth it IMO. I did the performance center delivery with my F22 and would highly recommend it, but the M School was at a different level.

The livery they are currently running are M2 Comps, M4s, and M8 Comps. M5 Comps have been retired for now, although some of the instructors were still driving them.

We were autocrossing the M2 Comps, using the M4s on the skid pad and Rat Race, and M8 Comps for the big track, high speed stuff.

The M2 Comps were the most "fun" IMO. I would liken them to my M240 on Red Bull. Didn't seem like a tremendous difference in power, but more edgy and tail-happy...high strung and tight handling. An absolute riot on the track. Was glad to be in my M240 on the way home...much more livable on a daily basis IMO.

Since the M4s were always in the wet, playing with oversteer, I didn't feel like I got a great feel for the car's capabilities...which I'm sure are great.

The M8 Comps were straight up beasts. Coming out of a late apex left hander and screaming down the back straight WOT, then standing on the carbon ceramic brakes for another left hander...holy @#$%! No way that you could ever approach that car's capabilities on a public road. Really reinforced the fact that professional drivers are athletes. I'm in good shape for my age...in the weight room 4-5 times a week, and that #$%& thing beat me up a little. I actually had to take a lap break in the pits after about 8 laps of that, body was threatening to rebell. I don't think it liked having its organs tossed around like that...who woulda thought? No major digestive event, and was able to rejoin the laps, but I'll need to be more careful about pre-track meals next time.

All in all, a fantastic time...a bit pricey...but worth it for a big treat. There were a couple of other F22/23 drivers in my class, so that was nice. Going in, I had a pretty good understanding of driving position, eyes up, turn in, apex, track out; but I learned a lot about braking zones, late apex, and taking a sacrifice line, so I feel like it was very beneficial in those respects. Plus, it was just a lot of FUN, and the instructors were fantastic. Definitely a first-class experience.
Appreciate 4
jzeiler4320.00
dradernh4394.00
E46ZHP254.00
      12-02-2020, 04:32 PM   #2
Craig in Alabam
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i Convertible

I did the M school a couple years ago. Most fun I've ever had in one day. I've done a bunch of track days and superbike schools on bikes, but I like that they only had four cars on the track at a time for the M school.
Did you do the hot lap with an instructor driving at the end of the day? That was a hoot!

Cheers!
Craig
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 05:33 PM   #3
Jeff01234567
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp, M-B A220

Garage List
I did a half-day M track day experience (where the M school basically travels all around the country) at Sonoma Raceway. Totally agree with what you said about the M8, the car is absolutely insane on the track but I would hate to drive it on the city streets knowing I'm barely using 1/10th of its capabilities.

The M4 was the F82 right, not the new one?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 05:54 PM   #4
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff01234567 View Post
I did a half-day M track day experience (where the M school basically travels all around the country) at Sonoma Raceway. Totally agree with what you said about the M8, the car is absolutely insane on the track but I would hate to drive it on the city streets knowing I'm barely using 1/10th of its capabilities.
I did the Audi version of this back in '08 at Loudon, and it was a blast, too. The highlight was driving an R8 on the track.

As you point out re: the M8, I wasn't inclined to buy an R8 as it would have had little utility for me other than as a street-based track car. Heck, for me in that regard, my M240i isn't all that much different – I use the wife's 2.5l MT Mazda 3 hatchback for driving around town running errands.

The Audi Driving Experience (I think that's what it was called) did cause me to get into track driving, and I ended up attending a couple of hundred track days as a result.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 06:11 PM   #5
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
My M day is booked for the 1st weekend in May 2021 - should have been this year but..... #2020.
Ohlins R&T coilovers, Turner monoball thrust arms, F87 LCAs, GC camber plates, Superpro subframe bushings, Megan Racing adj. RCAs, delrin differential bushings. Stoptech BBK 6 piston (f) 4 piston (r).
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 09:28 PM   #6
Jeff01234567
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp, M-B A220

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGTI View Post
My M day is booked for the 1st weekend in May 2021 - should have been this year but..... #2020.
Maybe the G80 will be available for the M day by then! I still hate the front end but would be interested in at least seeing how it performs on track.
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00