THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Something fun BMW shop clock

11-19-2020, 07:36 AM   #23
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, GLB-250, C7 Z51

I thought this was a wonderful thread when it began and what the OP did was really terrific. Then came armchair legal speculation and I retreated. I returned to find my retreat was a smart.

I'm a biologist. I leave lawyering to lawyers.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 07:58 AM   #24
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O_Doc View Post
I thought this was a wonderful thread when it began and what the OP did was really terrific. Then came armchair legal speculation and I retreated. I returned to find my retreat was a smart.

I'm a biologist. I leave lawyering to lawyers.
I deal with lawyers every single day, all kinds of lawyers. I'll tell you with 100% certainty IP attorneys are a special breed.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 08:29 AM   #25
pmcmtnbkr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
So you are suggesting that all of those super cheesy 'recolor your roundels in 5 minutes' stickers and fanboy window decals/T shirts that clot up eBay got licensed? I'm just a little skeptical of that. I also think this would fit closer under the copyright that lets rap stars sample music - it is art using found objects, not new branded merchandise. And pretty cool art at that - much better than the lamp with a brake rotor base that I made in high school. Now if I could just get my wife to buy it that those summer tires with a sheet over them are really end tables....
Maybe the problem is I state bmw clock. Maybe I should retitle the post to clock made out of BMW parts. It might be neat to get a letter from BMW over my little clock project. It could be a real feather in my cap. I tried to get my wife to beleave the new long reach low profile jack I bought was to help her reach things on the top shelf she didn't buy it good luck to you on the end tables
Appreciate 3
H2O_Doc511.50
Maynard3804.50
E46ZHP254.00
      11-19-2020, 08:44 AM   #26
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
My son is a patent, trademark and intellectual property attorney - next time I see him I'll ask him about this and post what he says.

BTW, most larger patent attorneys assign a junior to do an afternoon's walk-in, Open House pro bono consultations of no more than ½-hour per client. Useful if you ever have a Big Idea that you want to explore. As a physics Masters, my son became adept at fielding the 'I've invented a perpetual motion machine' brigade. Most partnerships do Open House session because every once in a while someone walks in with a real brainwave idea, like the British inventor who had an idea for automatically turning off electric kettles with some sort of steam-activiated switch and wondered if it was worth patenting ....
      11-22-2020, 12:39 PM   #27
pmcmtnbkr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

So I spent some more time working on the BMW parts clock art project I tried various number styles and colors, used all numbers, just the 12, 3, 6, and 9 positions, and just the 12 o'clock and didn't like any of them so I went simple added a little color to the clock hands to make them stand out better I know the color might raise a red flag but for anyone questioning I have photographic proof of theses colors on my father early 70s Datsun 510 race car and thats where they came from. Its very hard to come up with Datsun orange so its a lot more red!! I am not sure why the photos from my phone post sideways. This is hanging on the wall with the emblem underneath the clock hence the 1st photo with the BMW is vertical and harder to read. I re-clocked the timing great so the letters would look right and I think I am going to remount the clock on the wall to look the way it does in the photos bellow.
Attached Images

Last edited by pmcmtnbkr; 11-22-2020 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 04:55 AM   #28
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
In terms of patent, trademark and intellectual property law, my non-legal understanding is that if the item is sold for profit without license from BMW, then it breaks the law in the UK and EU. The case would be strengthened further if the BMW logo enhanced the value of the item or made it more desirable to a buyer. And strengthened again if BMW themselves sold products of a similar type, even if their main business wasn't in the sale of that product i.e. clocks.

Whether BMW would bother to take action is not something that anyone but BMW can predict.

So one route is possibly to write to BMW's legal department outlining your item and explaining your intent and see what they say. The thinking being that you can't be any worse off if they state their position up-front, versus their contacting you after something appears on eBay or similar.

As ever, all this is without liability. I'm not a lawyer.

BTW, I love the design and think it's a really original idea.

Last edited by msej449; 11-29-2020 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 0