THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum The 2 Series is the Best Car On Earth.

04-13-2020, 07:08 PM   #1
BetweenTheWheels
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

The 2 Series is the Best Car On Earth.

My love letter to the two series. I think it just might be the best smiles per dollar car on the planet.

The BMW 2 Series is the Best Car on Earth
harma24402.50
DF237.00
BimBimM21486.00
TonM3249.00
H2O_Doc511.50
Dylan861330.00
MarkDemma519.00
AndDown176.50
cooolone2623.50
j2dad5389372.00
Miata1387.00
MerlinMc114.00
PeterWT252.50
Resoelg238.00
      04-13-2020, 07:15 PM   #2
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetweenTheWheels View Post
I think it just might be the best smiles per dollar car on the planet.
I didn't need a new car, so I spent five years determining which vehicle would best meet my current and future needs. In the end, the 2 Series won & it did that hands-down.

It didn't hurt that I'd previously owned six BMWs and understood very well what I was letting myself in for.
Appreciate 5
      04-13-2020, 10:10 PM   #3
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, GLB-250, C7 Z51

I've owned quite a number of cars over the last 34 years, including a number of performance cars. I got permission from the boss to go get a C7 corvette.

I came home with my M240i and I have zero regrets.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 11:11 PM   #4
TonM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 / 2017 M240

Great video.
      04-14-2020, 03:17 AM   #5
phatmanatee
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 m240ix - sunset orange

Well said!

Appreciate 1
      04-14-2020, 04:35 AM   #6
Zyzzthetic
6 speeeeeeeeeed
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6-Speed Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Quote:
I didn't need a new car, so I spent five years determining which vehicle would best meet my current and future needs. In the end, the 2 Series won & it did that hands-down.

It didn't hurt that I'd previously owned six BMWs and understood very well what I was letting myself in for.
How's the reliability been after 5 years? I plan on keeping mine for a long time
      04-14-2020, 09:12 AM   #7
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzzthetic View Post
How's the reliability been after 5 years? I plan on keeping mine for a long time
You are probably asking the OP, but mine will be 6 years old this August. We fixed a rattle early on.....
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2020, 09:36 AM   #8
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

great vid and agree with most. My search was for a manual sports car, and after driving/researching a bunch, landed on 235 for all those reasons.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2020, 10:14 AM   #9
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Nice "love letter" to the car.

He touched upon most of the reasons I traded my like new 2015 Corvette C7 and chose my M240i over a Porsche Cayman, and the Audi TTS. While some may argue whether it really is the best car in the world, it certainly "ticked" all the boxes I was looking for in an all-around car.
Appreciate 3
      04-14-2020, 10:26 AM   #10
BetweenTheWheels
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I've only had mine a few months so time will tell. Been great so far.
      04-14-2020, 11:16 AM   #11
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M240 ix, 14 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post

He touched upon most of the reasons I traded my like new 2015 Corvette C7 and chose my M240i over a Porsche Cayman, and the Audi TTS. While some may argue whether it really is the best car in the world, it certainly "ticked" all the boxes I was looking for in an all-around car.
The M240i is a great choice for being a jack of all trades. It's hard to compare it to the C7 or Cayman, which are really dedicated sports cars. But, my wife was willing to see the rationale on why I needed both.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 11:32 AM   #12
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hey there! Great video!! I love the content; nothing seems forced. You are certainly passionate about cars and have a balanced POV! Subscribed!

What are your thoughts on the heavier M240i with AWD? In fact make it a convertible as well. Would love to hear candid thoughts

P.s. have you posted your videos on /r/cars? You should!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 11:35 AM   #13
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post

Yup! Same here! Flirted with a (then) new Boxster and several Audi 'verts.

I do need a track weapon though. Either the new M4 or the new M2. Or the new Caymans (if not the new 911)! Great time to be an enthusiast!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 12:08 PM   #14
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
My 2017 M240i has been trouble-free for 22 months now. I've yet to crack the first 10K. Soon, though!
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2020, 05:13 PM   #15
BetweenTheWheels
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hey there! Great video!! I love the content; nothing seems forced. You are certainly passionate about cars and have a balanced POV! Subscribed!

What are your thoughts on the heavier M240i with AWD? In fact make it a convertible as well. Would love to hear candid thoughts

Thanks for watching and subscribing. I appreciate it!

The two series kinds of snuck up on me as a car, meaning, the non M2 versions never grabbed me aesthetically until they grew on me. Once I decided I liked the platform, my decision tree went like this:

M2: Bragging rights and performance would be fun but I'll never use all the power and I KNOW it's price would keep me from pushing it fully on the track and it would be expensive to ruin it (never track anything you don't want/can't afford to lose).

235/240: More power than the 228 but I'd always regret not having the M2 and the added expense wouldn't equal the usable power. Not as balanced as the 4 cylinder due to weight.

228: Plenty quick, surprisingly so. Easily tuned when it's not quick enough Plus, I'm secure in my manhood. I don't need more cylinders to offset my ahem.... size...
      04-14-2020, 05:15 PM   #16
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The two series kinds of snuck up on me as a car, meaning, the non M2 versions never grabbed me aesthetically until they grew on me. Once I decided I liked the platform, my decision tree went like this:

M2: Bragging rights and performance would be fun but I'll never use all the power and I KNOW it's price would keep me from pushing it fully on the track and it would be expensive to ruin it (never track anything you don't want/can't afford to lose).

235/240: More power than the 228 but I'd always regret not having the M2 and the added expense wouldn't equal the usable power. Not as balanced as the 4 cylinder due to weight.

228: Plenty quick, surprisingly so. Easily tuned when it's not quick enough Plus, I'm secure in my manhood. I don't need more cylinders to offset my ahem.... size...
Oh thanks! Your post is a great snapshot for those coming down and looking to get a better understanding of which 2-series models fits their needs. Keep up the good work!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 08:48 PM   #17
damianbmw12
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M240xi & 2004 330Ci

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh thanks! Your post is a great snapshot for those coming down and looking to get a better understanding of which 2-series models fits their needs. Keep up the good work!
I love my M240xi but can't get the volume on this video to work. Something specific I need to do?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 12:40 AM   #18
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by damianbmw12 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I love my M240xi but can't get the volume on this video to work. Something specific I need to do?
Are you watching it on your iPhone? My issue was that, for some reason, browser embedded videos are counted under "system sounds" for iOS, so the audio on this video will not work if you have the system sounds switch on your iPhone toggled off. You need to toggle the switch on to hear browser embedded video.

This applies even if you are using the app on an iOS device.

If yours isn't an iOS device then try opening this video in the YouTube app itself?
Appreciate 1
Mehim76.50
      04-15-2020, 02:42 AM   #19
Zyzzthetic
6 speeeeeeeeeed
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6-Speed Manual

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Coming from a 2011 328i coupe, you will always regret not having real dual pipes!
      04-15-2020, 06:43 AM   #20
damianbmw12
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M240xi & 2004 330Ci

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by damianbmw12 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Are you watching it on your iPhone? My issue was that, for some reason, browser embedded videos are counted under "system sounds" for iOS, so the audio on this video will not work if you have the system sounds switch on your iPhone toggled off. You need to toggle the switch on to hear browser embedded video.

This applies even if you are using the app on an iOS device.

If yours isn't an iOS device then try opening this video in the YouTube app itself?
I learned something new thank you. Great video
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2020, 03:48 PM   #21
MassNerd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Coupe RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O_Doc View Post
I got permission from the boss to go get a C7 corvette.

I came home with my M240i and I have zero regrets.
Similar story here. I got permission to get a new Mustang GT or a used Corvette. It was going to be my daily driver (we do have another car for people transport).

The fact that the M240i is lighter, almost as fast, higher quality and much more practical was very intriguing. When I found a dealer who sell me one for just about the same price the Ford dealers were asking for a Mustang GT Premium, it was a no brainer.

Nice video OP!
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2020, 04:28 PM   #22
wag4513
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230I

I ordered a 2016 ruby red ecoboost mustang convertible and loved it until the check engine light came on. The mustang was out of service for four months, and in the shop for five weeks with a cracked cylinder. This disappointed me but I found BMW Certified 2017 230I convertible at the local BMW dealer. It had the M Sport Package which I liked. The performance of the BMW is similar to the ecoboost mustang. So I bought it and sold the mustang The 230I came with three years of manufacturer's warranty. Loved your video.

Last edited by wag4513; 05-08-2020 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 1