THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Anyone have an Audiotec-Fischer...

04-10-2020, 12:28 PM   #1
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Anyone have an Audiotec-Fischer...

....MATCH (or HELIX in another car) amp try the HEC/MEC Bluetooth module. I have the MATCH 7UP BMW amp in my car and am wondering if it's worth adding the Bluetooth module.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 02:02 PM   #2
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Make sure your phone supports aptX, I don't think Apple does for example (could have changed since I last checked). Otherwise looks like a solid solution. I have the URC.3 remote installed which I really do like, if you're looking at adding that as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 02:37 PM   #3
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep

Good point! I have a document with my iPhone 7's spec.s Thanks for the tip.

BTW, that "broken pin" was actually just pushed back into the connector. I removed the cover and pushed it back where it belongs and straightened the other pins. Haven't tested it, though.

Update: the iPhone 7 does not support aptX. Drat! I owe you 1!

Update #2: it doesn't seem like any iPhone supports aptX.

Last edited by MarcoZandrini; 04-10-2020 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 03:07 PM   #4
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
Good point! I have a document with my iPhone 7's spec.s Thanks for the tip.

BTW, that "broken pin" was actually just pushed back into the connector. I removed the cover and pushed it back where it belongs and straightened the other pins. Haven't tested it, though.

Update: the iPhone 7 does not support aptX. Drat! I owe you 1!

Update #2: it doesn't seem like any iPhone supports aptX.
I'll see if I can dig up a pin-out diagram for you I've got one someplace - at least figure out what those should do.

Re: the BT module it will still work but won't sound great, just transmit at regular BT quality dummed down by the phone. Your 2018 doesn't have auxiliary input in the armrest does it? I went through this whole mess with Viffermike help a few years ago, my 2016 with a lossless player in the armrest was the path of least resistance back then.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 03:09 PM   #5
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I'll see if I can dig up a pin-out diagram for you I've got one someplace - at least figure out what those should do.

Re: the BT module it will still work but won't sound great, just transmit at regular BT quality dummed down by the phone. Your 2018 doesn't have auxiliary input in the armrest does it? I went through this whole mess with Viffermike help a few years ago, my 2016 with a lossless player in the armrest was the path of least resistance back then.
It does have the USB port in the armrest but no aux in. I was looking at this:

http://store.kokkia.com/kokkiai10lap...connector.aspx

It doesn't get the best ratings on Amazon.

I don't think the d2a converters in the factory system are that great, either. This would bypass the faxtory system by BT'ing directly to the MATCH 7UP amp. Why is nothing simple anymore?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 03:18 PM   #6
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

I think Astell and Kern (sp???) might make something like that but better quality. The factory converters are not good, you're right. That's why the Aux In is such a big improvement.

Doesn't your amp have an Aux in? Easiest thing to do may be run a cable up to the armrest and get a FiiO to leave in there. You might also need the Match remote to toggle source, not sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 03:18 PM   #7
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep

Actually, I'll have to look at the manual, but I don't seem to remember an aux in. That's why I was looking at the BT module. Anyway, an aux in would rely on the D2A converter in the cable that plugs into the lightning port. I don't think it's a very good converter, either. ARGH!

I'm now adding sound deadening to the trunk. The next steps are the doors and the sheet metal outside the rear seat. I'm even thinking about removing the front fender liners and putting the stuff on the metal fenders that protrude into the engine compartment. ARGH!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 05:01 PM   #8
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually, I'll have to look at the manual, but I don't seem to remember an aux in. That's why I was looking at the BT module. Anyway, an aux in would rely on the D2A converter in the cable that plugs into the lightning port. I don't think it's a very good converter, either. ARGH!

I'm now adding sound deadening to the trunk. The next steps are the doors and the sheet metal outside the rear seat. I'm even thinking about removing the front fender liners and putting the stuff on the metal fenders that protrude into the engine compartment. ARGH!!!
Oh you may be right I think the 82 had aux in and the 86 switches to optical. You may want to check with either Bimmertech or TechnicPNP and see if you can add aux in to your head unit. From there maybe a separate lossless player would be your best bet.

Unfortunately you're at the nexus of cost cutting meets convenience meets most people don't care and are happy they don't need to plug their phone in.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 10:49 AM   #9
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Apple just launched the new iPhone SE might be worth checking to see if aptX support. Since you've got a 7, might be similar to me with the 8 where the SE makes sense for an upgrade. It's basically the guts from the newest 11 shoved into an 8 case and still has fingerprint versus face security. I'm ordering one as soon as they're available Friday morning, I've been waiting and waiting for them to launch something with fingerprint and home button.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 10:03 AM   #10
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep

I got an email from Doug Dobson about the USB module. You can program the amp so that it uses the USB module only when a signal is present on the USB cable. Otherwise it uses the factory harness as its input. So, I emailed the seller in the UK to cancel the order of the URC.3 remote. I'll let you know what happens.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 02:54 PM   #11
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep

OMG

I just finished adding the MEC USB module to the Audiotec-Fischer MARCH 7UP BMW amp.

OMG!!!!!!!

The sound is so spacious and full. I can hear every instrument and every voice so clearly and perfectly. And my hearing is lousy.

I used the BMW tech info system to learn how to remove the part of the console and the rear HVAC duct (www.newtis.info). Basically, the rear bottom seat cushion and the left bolster (sits between the fold down seat back and the left interior panel) come out. The "C" pillar cover comes out too. You definitely need the instructions to do this right!!!! It's all in section 51 of the TIS. The hard part is routing the USB cable from the console to the amp. Getting it under the carpet between the back of the console and the rear seat area is a real PITA. I used a very thing coat hanger and twine. as note, it's a royal PITA. The USB cable has to be at least 10 feet long. I then used a laptop with the Audiotec tuning software to configure the amp. I set it up so that the amp automatically switches to the USB input when there are data on the cable.

One other thing. I have an iPhone so I needed an adapter that converts lightning connector to a USB connector. The one on the apple store in $40, but I found this on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lightning-t...4AAOSwjLxelZcy . And this has a charging port while the apple adapter does not!!!

I have been mod'ing the audio system in my bimmers since the late 1980's and I can say this has been the best investment in upgrade audio I've ever made!!
Attached Images

Last edited by MarcoZandrini; 04-24-2020 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
hlm2c289.50
      11-26-2020, 11:03 AM   #12
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep

Update

Well, it seems the iPhone 7 doesn't play well with the AF USB card even with a genuine Apple adapter! So, I then bought the AF Bluetooth module for the amp. Worked for a while and then when I started to play a song the left rear speaker would pop. Contacted Crutchfield and I was sent a new BT module. Same thing. And then the BT module stopped broadcasting its presence. Crutchfield sent me a new amp. Work for a while and the issues returned. I re-installed the AF USB module and bought a Fiio M3 Pro digital music player (www.fiio.com/m3_pro). I had to run a 15' long cable with USB-C at console end and USB-B mini at the amp end. Finally, it all works!!! Dark Side of the Moon as .wav files is unbelievable!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 12:39 AM   #13
shaguar
Rep
Drives: ‘14 228i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Well, it seems the iPhone 7 doesn't play well with the AF USB card even with a genuine Apple adapter!
Marco,

I see you used the Apple USB Lightning Adapter when you were using the USB Card. What happens if you plug your iPhone into the USB Card via a basic lightning cable plugged into a USB-A Female -> USB-Mini Male (like this) and not using that Apple Lightning USB adapter? I’m curious does it work at all?

Last edited by shaguar; 11-30-2020 at 12:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 11:17 AM   #14
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaguar View Post
Marco,

I see you used the Apple USB Lightning Adapter when you were using the USB Card. What happens if you plug your iPhone into the USB Card via a basic lightning cable plugged into a USB-A Female -> USB-Mini Male (like this) and not using that Apple Lightning USB adapter? I’m curious does it work at all?
That was my first iteration of a digital audio stream to the amp. I bought the Apple adapter (https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...30891a10904d9f). The iPhone does not play well with the USB module. Sometimes the iPhone wouldn't play music or it'd stop in the middle of a song. That's why I went to BT. The iPhone doesn't play well with it either! My third iteration is back to the USB module and the FiiO M3 Pro. Finito!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 05:31 PM   #15
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Quote:
Well, it seems the iPhone 7 doesn't play well with the AF USB card even with a genuine Apple adapter! So, I then bought the AF Bluetooth module for the amp. Worked for a while and then when I started to play a song the left rear speaker would pop. Contacted Crutchfield and I was sent a new BT module. Same thing. And then the BT module stopped broadcasting its presence. Crutchfield sent me a new amp. Work for a while and the issues returned. I re-installed the AF USB module and bought a Fiio M3 Pro digital music player (www.fiio.com/m3_pro). I had to run a 15' long cable with USB-C at console end and USB-B mini at the amp end. Finally, it all works!!! Dark Side of the Moon as .wav files is unbelievable!
To be clear, you have to control the music through the Fiio, and lose all control functionality of the BMW infotainment system, correct?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 10:13 AM   #16
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
To be clear, you have to control the music through the Fiio, and lose all control functionality of the BMW infotainment system, correct?
Yup! I didn't have control of the music when using the iPhone except via the iPhone, also. Again, "the solution" is to change the DAC chip in the factory head unit. But, I bet that'd entail some drastic mod'ing of the head unit circuitry.

Here's a link to the spec sheet of a $43 DAC from TI. It's 24 bits wide and 256k conversions per second.

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/da...ouser.com%252F
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 11:54 PM   #17
ctemkin
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the information about using an AF USB module. My amp is the AF 86DSP amp that Bavsound used to sell. I have been trying to figure out a way to bypass the DACs in the head unit and/or amp, and this seems like the best way to do it. It may be possible to use the optical input in the amp, but it looks as if the only DAPs that have optical output are really expensive, and it is quite possible that you could lay out the money for the DAP and find out that it would not play well with the amp. Is it OTG?

One question: where did you get the 15' cable connecting your amp and the Fiio? I have spent a little time looking for exactly this cable and have not found it.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 09:29 AM   #18
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep

Here you go. It isn't cheap. https://tethertools.com/product/teth...-mini-b-5-pin/
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 12:29 PM   #19
ctemkin
Private
Rep

MZ,

Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 08:38 AM   #20
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctemkin View Post
MZ,

Many thanks.
You're welcome. Make sure you order the 15' cables as the 10' cable is a bit too short.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 02:39 AM   #21
shaguar
Rep
Drives: ‘14 228i M-Sport 6MT

Marco,

Do you mind sharing your amp tune if it’s not a hassle?

I also have the Eton components with the Match Amp/DSP, and I feel the tunes on this forum are leaving something on the table for these speakers.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 11:01 AM   #22
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep

Tuning the amp is fairly straightforward. I haven't used all of the software's capabilities but I'm very happy with the results. I basically zero'd out the center speaker's output.

I've attached the AF tuning guide.
Appreciate 0