THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning M240i shaking while in D/Gear but not Park/Neutral

11-17-2020, 05:46 PM   #1
Bfrancom2
Rep
Drives: M240i

M240i shaking while in D/Gear but not Park/Neutral

Hi all,

I have recently come across an issue where my car vibrates in Drive/Gear, but not while in Park/Neutral with the transmission not engaged.

The vibration isnt horrible but its there. Its just a very consistent small vibration, not a surging or pulsation. This used to never happen.

Only changes to the vehicle are new oil (switched from 0w20 to 5w30) and the car has been tuned on xHP for the past few thousand miles.

I doubt any mounts or vibration isolators have went bad. I did a DME reset and cleared adaptations, but still have vibration. What could it be? Oil filter is tightened properly, coolant is good, etc. No codes being thrown. Sparkplugs and coilpacks in good shape and less than 10k miles on them.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 07:36 AM   #2
JD11937
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfrancom2 View Post
Hi all,

I have recently come across an issue where my car vibrates in Drive/Gear, but not while in Park/Neutral with the transmission not engaged.

The vibration isnt horrible but its there. Its just a very consistent small vibration, not a surging or pulsation. This used to never happen.

Only changes to the vehicle are new oil (switched from 0w20 to 5w30) and the car has been tuned on xHP for the past few thousand miles.

I doubt any mounts or vibration isolators have went bad. I did a DME reset and cleared adaptations, but still have vibration. What could it be? Oil filter is tightened properly, coolant is good, etc. No codes being thrown. Sparkplugs and coilpacks in good shape and less than 10k miles on them.
I can relate to the tendency to be annoyed with any slight change in a cars behavior and it is important to take note of such things as they may foreshadow problems down the road. But do yourself a favor and don't overly stress every minor vibration, you will just drive yourself crazy trying to figure it out. Something so minor is probably nothing. You are aware of it and if it gets worse then you have a professional look at it.

My only thought is that the exhaust on our cars have pretty tight clearances and I've noticed when the engine is at certain low rpms the frequency causes a more noticeable vibration.

Also as a side note you should avoid resetting adaptations, especially for the trans. Xhp explicitly says not to. Not sure if you were referring to the trans or engine adaptations but figured I would mention it anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 06:59 AM   #3
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Vibration only while moving? Vibration at a constant velocity? Vibration frequency changes along with speed?

It can be many things... You've left out mileage on car, etc. Also recent tune? Have you removed that and returned to stock and noticed the same?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 09:18 AM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

check easy stuff first. Oil drain flap closed, engine compartment no loose tools everything snapped down. Hose damper weight (N55).
Maybe even run thru a tank of gas and refill at a different station.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 06:27 PM   #5
Q-bomber
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Ever find the issue? I am having the same issue on XHP stage 2.
Appreciate 0