THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Help.... coolant loss

10-23-2020, 01:04 PM   #1
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

Help.... coolant loss

My 2018 LCi M240i has been using coolant for over a year and it's been to dealership twice and pressure tested and no leaks anywhere. I have Just tested its consumption over 1000 miles and is used 20ml in the small reservoir and 120ml in the large reservoir. A total of 140ml in 1000 miles..... that's 1.4 litres in 10,000miles !!! It's booked back in with BMW but I'm worried they will say it's normal again and no fault found . That amount of coolant loss is definitely not normal. Anyone got any ideas as dealership say they have never seen this issue before. I can only think the engine is using it. Turbo issue around the seals for water cooling maybe? I don't have any emulsification in the oil filler cap so it's not getting past the head gasket into an oil feed
      10-30-2020, 10:59 AM   #2
m240nj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si-M240i View Post
My 2018 LCi M240i has been using coolant for over a year and it's been to dealership twice and pressure tested and no leaks anywhere. I have Just tested its consumption over 1000 miles and is used 20ml in the small reservoir and 120ml in the large reservoir. A total of 140ml in 1000 miles..... that's 1.4 litres in 10,000miles !!! It's booked back in with BMW but I'm worried they will say it's normal again and no fault found . That amount of coolant loss is definitely not normal. Anyone got any ideas as dealership say they have never seen this issue before. I can only think the engine is using it. Turbo issue around the seals for water cooling maybe? I don't have any emulsification in the oil filler cap so it's not getting past the head gasket into an oil feed
Went through the same ordeal for two years. Each time they pressure tested and found no leaks. Finally after the fifth time of needing to add coolant, they all the sudden found a hole in the lower radiator. Quoted me at some insane price to replace it. It ended up being a whole long ordeal so hopefully that's not your issue. These cars are infamous for lower radiator damage prior to model year 2018 since they began installing protective screens in front of the radiator beyond 2017. Check to see if you have the screen. If not, I'm willing to bet it's cracked somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 12:08 PM   #3
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec5197 View Post
These cars are infamous for lower radiator damage prior to model year 2018 since they began installing protective screens in front of the radiator behind 2017. Check to see if you have the screen.
I just had the rock guard installed on my car. It wasn't cheap. They removed the intercooler and radiator along the way, as well as replacing the coolant.

The issue has been discussed at length on BabyBMW.net – this is the principal thread: https://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=110573.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 12:12 PM   #4
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Define your filling habits.

In my experience (engine - large rear tank), if you fill to the full mark when cold, the system will vent some coolant until it's back down around the low fill mark. It will keep doing this no matter how many times you keep topping it up. However, if you're saying when you don't top up it keeps disappearing and you get low level alarm then for sure you have an active (abnormal) coolant loss.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 12:26 PM   #5
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Quote:

In my experience (engine - large rear tank), if you fill to the full mark when cold, the system will vent some coolant until it's back down around the low fill mark. It will keep doing this no matter how many times you keep topping it up. However, if you're saying when you don't top up it keeps disappearing and you get low level alarm then for sure you have an active (abnormal) coolant loss.
I fill it to the max mark and in about 1000miles it just above the minimum mark, so I top it up again. BMW have a service bulletin to say to fill 200ml above the maximum level!
      10-30-2020, 12:27 PM   #6
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sec5197 View Post
These cars are infamous for lower radiator damage prior to model year 2018 since they began installing protective screens in front of the radiator behind 2017. Check to see if you have the screen.
I just had the rock guard installed on my car. It wasn't cheap. They removed the intercooler and radiator along the way, as well as replacing the coolant.

The issue has been discussed at length on BabyBMW.net – this is the principal thread: https://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=110573.
Mine is a late March 2018 LCi so hopefully I have the guard you mentioned. Do you have a picture of what I'm looking for?
      10-30-2020, 01:25 PM   #7
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I fill it to the max mark and in about 1000miles it just above the minimum mark, so I top it up again. BMW have a service bulletin to say to fill 200ml above the maximum level!
Why not try leaving it? IMO you are continually topping up the spill off. I bet you have residue around the cap? Clear sign of natural venting.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 01:27 PM   #8
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Why not try leaving it? IMO you are continually topping up the spill off. I bet you have residue around the cap? Clear sign of natural venting.
Nope nice and clean around the filler cap. I even fitted a new cap before doing my 1000 mile test
      10-30-2020, 03:13 PM   #9
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Mine is a late March 2018 LCi so hopefully I have the guard you mentioned. Do you have a picture of what I'm looking for?
I do; unfortunately, I don't have any 'before' photos. Here they are:

Upper Grille Opening After Rock Guard Installation

Lower Grille Opening After Rock Guard Installation
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 03:18 PM   #10
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Ah, I thought you meant an oem version. I am in the process of buying mesh to do this too. Just need to see if I can remove my lower grilles again as they were a pig to replace and I don't want to take the bumper off
      10-30-2020, 03:19 PM   #11
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ah, I thought you meant an oem version. I am in the process of buying mesh to do this too. Just need to see if I can remove my lower grilles again as they were a pig to replace and I don't want to take the bumper off
The centre one I may fit the mesh on the outside with cable ties and put some edging around it to make it look neater
      10-30-2020, 03:21 PM   #12
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Another data point, in the event it's of use: I follow the recommendation of Mike Miller* to keep my coolant level between MIN and MAX. After setting it there, that's where it remains, whether I'm just driving on the highway or I've run it at the track.

My dealer must follow the 200ml above MAX direction, as that's pretty much how it's come back after the two coolant changes I've had.

* Mike is the Technical Editor for the BMW Car Club of America's Roundel Magazine. His rationale is based upon the years (decades?) of BMW cooling system issues. Mike's thinking is that somewhat less coolant (but not too little!) will result in less pressure in the system, followed by fewer cooling system failures.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 03:22 PM   #13
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
No, no...forget the mesh in front; what you're meant to look at is the radiator-like panel behind it. That's the rock guard, both top and bottom. Sorry for the confusion!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 03:24 PM   #14
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No, no...forget the mesh in front; what you're meant to look at is the radiator-like panel behind it. That's the rock guard, both top and bottom. Sorry for the confusion!
Lol. The have that plastic frame on my lower radiator for sure
      10-30-2020, 03:25 PM   #15
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The centre one I may fit the mesh on the outside with cable ties and put some edging around it to make it look neater
That would certainly be easier and much cheaper than the route I took. I spent $710 / £550 getting that rock guard installed.

But, I did get another coolant change out of it!

Last edited by dradernh; 10-30-2020 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 03:28 PM   #16
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That would certainly be easier and much cheaper than the route I took.
I have found black aluminium mesh and some "U" profile rubber edging that I am hoping I can wrap around the outside edge to make it neat and then a few black cable ties to fit it to the plastic oem grille. The lower side ones I hope to be able to remove and the kidney grilles cone out easy anyway