THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 240i - silent limp mode/power cut?

10-12-2018, 11:24 AM   #1
Karlj
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Fiat Multipla

240i - silent limp mode/power cut?

Running a stock MY17 240i 11,000mi on the clock, whenever the car is started from cold (e.g having been off for at least 8 hours), the engine appears electronically limited to 250bhp/300Nm (according to sports display and the significant butt-dyno drop in power) for the remainder of the journey, even after the engine has been warm for over an hour. However, if you cycle the ignition (shut it down fully after its warmed up, then restart) it returns to normal operation, with the full beans available again.

Anyone ever experienced anything like this? Went to make an overtake with a fully warm engine this morning and it felt like I was driving a 216i. Has occured over multiple tanks of Shell V-Power, so confident its not the fuel. No CEL or other warnings, oil and coolant both well within min/max.

I can watch the torque build to about 300Nm on 1/3rd throttle, then go no higher no matter how hard you push the loud pedal or at what RPM. To be clear, its not just an issue with the display, I first noticed it when I figured the car had gone into limp-mode given how slow it suddenly was. Not sure if there's some sort of hidden limp-mode or cold start engine map that isn't resetting once driving off.

Any ideas would be welcome. Car is booked in but not for a few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2023, 10:50 PM   #2
Dttmyl
Registered
Rep
Drives: M440i GC '22

This exact problem just developed tonight, my car is on a piggyback/intake running Ethanol mixture around 20-25. The car will give me full power and rips perfectly, then when I put my foot down again at random times it will only go up to about 7-10 psi and 300 hp on sports display. No idea why this is happening, had a CEL from sensors and fixed it, and now I have this problem with no error codes. Did you ever find a fix/real issue?
Appreciate 0