THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Sport+ mode

10-10-2018, 01:27 AM   #1
Rosseau
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xdrive

Sport+ mode

Regarding the M240i xdrive, I know everyone on the forum knows all about sport+ mode except me. The owners manual says nothing, and I'd like to know what's going on before I use that mode on-the-street. Here are some questions if someone has the time:

1. The car automatically goes to "manual" mode
2. Preferably for use on very good roads
3. Any noticeable changes to steering feel?
4. Stability and traction control dialed back but not defeated?
5. Any difference in throttle response compared to sport?
6. Read somewhere it will hold gears at redline until you shift??
7. Is it of any value over sport on very good roads, or really just for track use?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 07:06 AM   #2
Questofthetune
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 GT50014 AW M235i(sold)

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
1. S+ will just change rpm and throttle. It’ll stay in D unless you touch the paddles or throw the shifter over to the left and start shifting.

2. I use it evreywhere but i also turn off evreything completely too. I had much more powerful cars with no TC so it’s not that nuts. M235 is so controllable. Look up Harris video on drifting.

3. Steering tightnes up gets heavier

4.yes it will let you slide for about half a second before reigning you back in

5. Little more punchy, more sensitive and more aggressive feeling

6. Yeah you can redline it will not shift for you

7. It’s a hair more aggressive than sport but if your pushing it or running e85 or meth (I am) sport is useless- anything even near throttle and it pulls fuel due to traction control. I hate it.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 08:00 AM   #3
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Don't feel bad, this section of the manual is still confusing to me. As far as I gather to date, Sport+ is the minimal traction control mode, with sporty throttle/steering feel. It is just throttle mapping, probably not any extra performance. I think this is identical to the traction-control you get in 'traction' mode, but that doesn't alter steering/throttle. There is also DCS-off, after holding the button longer, and that turns everything to off (or as close to off as it can go - apparently there is still some accident-avoidance features, and you never lose ABS).

Both of these are actually useful in very slick conditions (ice, not water) where you need forward traction, like hill climbing or starting from stop, because the nannies will cut power too fast and prevent any wheel spin (but I think not as safe for driving at speed, since you won't have much/any assist). That said, I drive through Syracuse Winters and seldom use them, and it handles like a snowcat even in Comfort; having lived a decade in CLE, I'd say you should have no worries if you put on snow tires (I prefer Conti's but there are others). As has been said elsewhere, 'all-season' tires really means 'no season'.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 08:14 AM   #4
ianp622
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Here's a chart for the 1-series that goes over the different modes, so it should be pretty close if not the same for the 2 series. Although I thought the kick-down downshift was disabled in Sport+.

https://f20.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1105819
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 12:48 PM   #5
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosseau View Post
Regarding the M240i xdrive, I know everyone on the forum knows all about sport+ mode except me. The owners manual says nothing, and I'd like to know what's going on before I use that mode on-the-street. Here are some questions if someone has the time:

My car isn't an M240i but has the same box. It doesn't go into M when you select Sport+.
Quote:
Very empty roads with no police, radars or speed cameras!
Quote:
Most of the weighing-up difference happens between Comfort and Sport. I didn't notice any difference switching to Sport+.
Quote:
Yes - not disengaged altogether, although even if you do that with the DTC button, apparently a little amount of help is still provided.
Quote:
Not in my car, but a 230i in London is already too fast. Accelerate hard from pottering about, and within 2-3 sec you're already at too high a speed for most of the entire metropolitan area, which is limited to 40 or 50 mph with speed cameras and average speed cameras on every single mile of open road.
Quote:
Yes - it hold as a nice and steady, if slightly screamy, 7,200 rpm (which I think is the same crank limit for the 35/40). No retro rev-limiter "warble".
Quote:
7. Is it of any value over sport on very good roads, or really just for track use?
Totally and utterly useless on any of the roads within a 20 mile radius of where I live - I never use it. Even very good roads are clogged with cars. On the track - though sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 10:48 PM   #6
Rosseau
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questofthetune View Post
1. S+ will just change rpm and throttle. It’ll stay in D unless you touch the paddles or throw the shifter over to the left and start shifting.

2. I use it evreywhere but i also turn off evreything completely too. I had much more powerful cars with no TC so it’s not that nuts. M235 is so controllable. Look up Harris video on drifting.

3. Steering tightnes up gets heavier

4.yes it will let you slide for about half a second before reigning you back in

5. Little more punchy, more sensitive and more aggressive feeling

6. Yeah you can redline it will not shift for you

7. It’s a hair more aggressive than sport but if your pushing it or running e85 or meth (I am) sport is useless- anything even near throttle and it pulls fuel due to traction control. I hate it.
On #7, I had no idea the car would mess with fuel delivery if it feels things are over-the-top. Not a bad feature for me, but has to be a significant issue for modded vehicles.

I'm sure ScottAndrew that once you get out of London you can have some fun. But no, I am not used to that level of enforcement in most U.S. cities.

Yes Maynard, if something happens to my second car, I will need to get snows. I'm thinking with no-season RFTs, the DSC off button might get me up my driveway with a few inches of snow.

Thanks for all the responses; they were very helpful
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 03:57 AM   #7
Sn00p
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianp622 View Post
Here's a chart for the 1-series that goes over the different modes, so it should be pretty close if not the same for the 2 series. Although I thought the kick-down downshift was disabled in Sport+.

https://f20.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1105819
Unfortunately, this isn't the case on the newest models with the particle filter installed...
I have a July 2018 build M240xi with the new particle filter installed and it is much quieter in normal settings except, of course, DSC and Sport+ mode.

Basically, ASD is tuned down a lot and I think it is pretty much non existing until you really press close to the redline. Then a surge of noise comes out of everything, including the speakers. Nicest sound is between 2500 and 4500 rpm when sound is like a muscle car with V8. After that, car gets screamy noise which is totally different animal, but I prefer the burble of 2500 - 4500 RPM.

Now, lets go through settings.

On start-up, valves are open in any mode, car is quite loud and you will most certainly wake up your neighbours. It lasts for only a couple seconds before car goes to the low RPM idle and valve shuts.

Normal mode, valve is closed except over 60km/h and harder throttle press. Problem with this is that you will not hear burbles even with the open windows because wind noise is too loud and you are moving too fast. Basically only noise you hear is from the engine. Car has an amazing sound dampening.

Sport mode, same as a normal mode regarding valve and speed. It will open up faster only because it is more aggressive and sensitive to the throttle press. Other than that, there is no difference. (I customised sport mode with turning off chassis stiffening so that might do something to the valve, but I didn't test it)

Sport+ mode, here fun begins. Especially in manual mode where you can control your RPM. Every downshift strong and loud burble. Every time you let off a throttle, strong burble comes back. Love it. Problem is that you can't customise this mode in regards to chassis and steering feel. Steering is too heavy for everyday city driving and chassis too stiff for normal roads.

DSC off (one press without holding), my preferred mode now because it does everything that Sport+ does in regards to the sound, but it is less aggressive on gear changes, chassis is in the comfort and steering feel is light.

One warning regarding DSC off (one press) is that it will let your ass slide. I had an unexpected over steer a couple of days ago. If you have an xdrive, you get quite confident, but with DSC off, it will let ass slide a little bit. It is ok while spirited driving because you are expecting it. But I was cruising and I pressed throttle a tad too strong while turning and ass was out in a second. Nothing happened, because I counter steered and xdrive did the rest but it is good to know that even with xdrive it will let out your ass. Something that is almost impossible in the comfort settings.

I hope this post helps. To be totally honest, I've waited through 2 delays and 3 months and during that time I watched every single video on M240i exhaust notes. I was expecting it to sound exactly like in the videos. I was quite annoyed when second delay happened because of the new rules in EU regarding emissions where the new particle filter has been introduced. It resulted in the price increase (probably not for US market) and exhaust sound dampening. Overall I just love this car and with DSC off it is everything I wanted, but this is just a warning to those who are buying a new car now with the particle filter installed.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 06:36 AM   #8
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

sn00p, i am reliably informed, and have looked, and it seems there is no valve on the MPE on the 2018 M240i xdrive convertible that I have. The valve control wire has nothing to connect to and is not connected.

Countering this information, however, is that the car is quite loud upon cold startup until one touches the gas or it settles on its own.

I'll try Sport+ and DSC off and listen to see what I notice.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 08:15 AM   #9
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I think USA (or perhaps all of N. America) gets a different exhaust that does not have the particle filters. That might change all the valving and ASD too (but counterintuitive to remove ASD for the particle-filtered, since those would be more muffled?).
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 09:04 AM   #10
Sn00p
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jeffries View Post
sn00p, i am reliably informed, and have looked, and it seems there is no valve on the MPE on the 2018 M240i xdrive convertible that I have. The valve control wire has nothing to connect to and is not connected.

Countering this information, however, is that the car is quite loud upon cold startup until one touches the gas or it settles on its own.

I'll try Sport+ and DSC off and listen to see what I notice.
Yeah, MPE does come without valve. I'm talking about stock exhaust that I have. Car is loud upon cold startup, but it settles down in a couple of seconds after the initial start. Please try Sport+ and DSC off, I'm wondering if there is maybe some different map enabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I think USA (or perhaps all of N. America) gets a different exhaust that does not have the particle filters. That might change all the valving and ASD too (but counterintuitive to remove ASD for the particle-filtered, since those would be more muffled?).
Then you guys are lucky. Because my car is really quiet except in Sport+ and DSC off. You can even see on most after market exhaust manufacturers' sites that their exhausts doesn't fit new cars that have particle filter.

ASD is definitely less intrusive. In my friend's 2016 435d it is comical. Worse than NFS 10 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 07:18 PM   #11
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn00p View Post
Yeah, MPE does come without valve. I'm talking about stock exhaust that I have. Car is loud upon cold startup, but it settles down in a couple of seconds after the initial start. Please try Sport+ and DSC off, I'm wondering if there is maybe some different map enabled.

Then you guys are lucky. Because my car is really quiet except in Sport+ and DSC off. You can even see on most after market exhaust manufacturers' sites that their exhausts doesn't fit new cars that have particle filter.

ASD is definitely less intrusive. In my friend's 2016 435d it is comical. Worse than NFS 10 years ago.
I do not think 2018 cars get OPF, so your 2018 M240i sounds exactly the same as the ones imported into North America. From 2019 I think all cars get OPF
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 07:47 AM   #12
Sn00p
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMK View Post
I do not think 2018 cars get OPF, so your 2018 M240i sounds exactly the same as the ones imported into North America. From 2019 I think all cars get OPF
You don't have to think, I know they come with it.

You can check German BMW forum. Everything that went into production after May of 2018. has an OPF. Not just that, but they changed to the new way of calculating CO2. So my car became 1000 euro more expensive just in a couple of months.

Using VIN decoder you can see that the new norm has been applied. Everything that went out of factory after the end of May has a new EU norm which can't be achieved with the standard exhaust. I know for a fact that main dealer for BMW Croatia had a really big problem with delays because of the new norms that BMW had to comply with.

Maybe there is a different case in the USA, but here in Europe people got crazy with the emissions.

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 08:05 AM   #13
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosseau View Post

Thanks!

ok so this thread has totally enhanced my m240i experience

I had understood sport plus only had 2 effects...dsc off and no redline monitor

but having used it a few times it transforms the car in the following ways

the throttle is more responsive and less laggy...it just goes...no pause which I find even in sport mode
the car seems to sound more aggressive (my car has mpe)
the steering is even heavier

overall the car just seems more fun...damn what I have been doing not using this the last 6 months
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 11:53 AM   #14
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I've owned my M235 6MT for over 2.5 years now and I'm pretty in tune with even the most mild changes between the settings.

In Sport mode and assuming you've selected Drivetrain and Chassis, the steering will be in Sport, you'll have the the quick Sport throttle, and the stiffer shocks in Sport. All the traction enhancing nannies are fully on and hyperactive. These nannies will estimate when they believe traction loss may occur, thus deadening throttle response in certain acceleration situations. The nanny intervention can be abrupt especially if you actually lose traction. Exhaust burbles are fairly aggressive.

Sport+ mode has all the functionality as Sport, but the traction control systems will allow for moderate straightline wheel spin and some mild throttle/off-throttle oversteer (maybe a 2 to 3 feet wide slide) before the nannies come into play. The nanny intervention is much smoother. The Sport throttle feels more responsive because the nannies are not overestimating the potential for the wheels to spin. Exhaust burbles are the same as Sport.

In DSC Off mode (push and hold DSC button for 5 seconds), you get the steering and shocks in Sport and the linear Comfort throttle which makes for much better throttle control when driving the car hard in the turns. In DSC Off, all nannies are off except ABS. You can drift, roast the tires into pure smoke, etc. Exhaust burbles are slightly less than Sport.

In Traction (one quick press of the DSC button), you get the Comfort steering, shocks, and throttle. The traction nannies are in the same setting as Sport+. The exhaust burbles are the most aggressive compared to all modes. If I had firmer springs and wider front tires (all this will be done next spring), this would be my favorite setting for daily driving.
      10-12-2018, 02:24 PM   #15
albertw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240i

This is an excellent summary, XutvJet.

However, there is one thing that seems to be missing, the electronic limited slip differential. My understanding from several previous threads is that with RWD the eLSD is on in Traction mode and off in Comfort, Sport and Sport +. I don't recall whether anyone mentioned what happens to the eLSD in DSC Off, and I didn't note how it works with AWD.

Last edited by albertw; 10-12-2018 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 03:34 PM   #16
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertw View Post

However, there is one thing that seems to be missing, the electronic limited slip differential. My understanding from several previous threads is that with RWD the eLSD is on in Traction mode and off in Comfort, Sport and Sport +. I don't recall whether anyone mentioned what happens to the eLSD in DSC Off, and I didn't note how it works with AWD.
You bring up a really interesting point . There is a summary table around here that shows all the drivetrain functionality of the modes but Traction mode. What you say could be entirely true. I know for a fact that the eLSD is not functional in Eco, Sport, or Sport+ and is functional in DSC Off. It would make sense that Traction mode would include the eLSD since it's called "Traction" mode. I have no way of testing that now as I installed the M Performance LSD a few months back and it's far quicker to react than the eLSD.

Traction mode is my favorite mode with my 6MT. With the Dinan Sport Tuner set to Sport (~2 to 2.5 psi over stock), the Comfort throttle sensitivity is increased to somewhere between Comfort and Sport. The aggressive Traction mode exhaust burbles are lovely. I actually prefer the lighter steering (feels more natural) and the Comfort shock damping. The springs do feel soft though and I'd like a bit more control as the springs appear to have a lot of travel out back. I plan to replace the OEM springs with Dinans and I really hope the rear axle travel is reduced as the springs sit 1" lower out back and are 30% stiffer. I'll also be running 245/35s up front which should increase front end grip a lot and slightly increase steering weight, but nothing like Sport.

BMW engineers and drivers have been quoted as saying Traction mode is by far the best overall driving mode for the M2. In the M2, Traction mode is just like ours with the exception that nothing changes with the shocks as they are not adaptive in the M2.
      10-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #17
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
In Traction (one quick press of the DSC button), you get the Comfort steering, shocks, and throttle. The traction nannies are in the same setting as Sport+. The exhaust burbles are the most aggressive compared to all modes.
I tried out your 'mode recipe' this morning. It was excellent – my new favorite.

Thanks!

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 12:51 PM   #18
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertw View Post
You bring up a really interesting point . There is a summary table around here that shows all the drivetrain functionality of the modes but Traction mode.

I believe this is what you're referring to. This is specific to the M2 but same mapping just worded differently (Ex. MDM instead of DTC)..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 01:40 PM   #19
albertw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

There is one annoying little issue with Sport + for me in the twisties. When the road straightens out I manually shift up to 8th to idle along at the speed limit (to minimize the risk of speeding tickets and to minimize the number of cars I catch up to), and the stupid transmission downshifts after about 10 seconds and spins the engine needlessly. Is there any way to force the transmission into fully manual mode while in Sport +?

The advantages of Sport + outweigh this minor gripe. I don't mind the heavier steering, I like the tighter suspension, but most of all I like that the eLSD is off. This makes it easier to slide the rear a bit, because you have to spin only one wheel. I get the fun of oversteer without excessive acceleration and the risk of an excessive speed ticket as I leave a corner. (If a cop is quick enough to turn on the radar when we meet in a corner - never happened yet - I'll pay the ticket without resentment, but I don't want an excessive speed ticket while driving straight. My usual driving style is to accelerate into corners and brake out of them.)
      10-14-2018, 04:57 PM   #20
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

If you have the shifter to the left and shift manually, doesn't it stay as you left it?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 05:46 PM   #21
albertw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jeffries View Post
If you have the shifter to the left and shift manually, doesn't it stay as you left it?
Thanks! I'll try it.

When I checked out the various modes during my first few drives I found that the paddles worked well enough in the twisties that I saw no need for moving the shift lever to the left, and forgot about it.

I guess this is a good argument for rereading the manual now that I've had the car for six months. There might be other things that made no sense at first but I might find useful now.