THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Differential Whine?

10-05-2018, 10:53 PM   #1
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Differential Whine?

Has anyone else experienced diff whine in their M240i? I picked mine up in July and there was no whine at that time. I have almost 11,000km (6,500 miles) on it now and I am hearing a definite diff whine when I get the rpm up beyond 3,000 and it gets louder the higher I go.

No its not turbo noise and no, not from the engine. There is a possibility its in the gearbox (6spd) but I'm 90% certain its diff.

I had diff noise in my 2006 Z4M that I cured with some Royal Purple fluid. Thought about trying that but didn't want to start messing with the fluid if it might affect warranty.

I will likely just bring it in to the dealer but I know how they roll..."we couldn't really hear much...nothing we can do about it". They won't replace a diff for a whine that isn't ear piercing I'm sure. Now, if I could convince them to swap it for the LSD inc some cash on my end...

Anyway else get diff whine?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 07:15 AM   #2
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
I believe there is a PuMA measure for this stating that they have to change the oil pan of the differential. Not sure but won’t hurt asking your dealer...
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 07:44 AM   #3
NVHoo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i red convertible

Depends on which girlfriend is in the car :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike519 View Post
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 11:21 AM   #4
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Has anyone else experienced diff whine in their M240i? I picked mine up in July and there was no whine at that time. I have almost 11,000km (6,500 miles) on it now and I am hearing a definite diff whine when I get the rpm up beyond 3,000 and it gets louder the higher I go.

No its not turbo noise and no, not from the engine. There is a possibility its in the gearbox (6spd) but I'm 90% certain its diff.

I had diff noise in my 2006 Z4M that I cured with some Royal Purple fluid. Thought about trying that but didn't want to start messing with the fluid if it might affect warranty.

I will likely just bring it in to the dealer but I know how they roll..."we couldn't really hear much...nothing we can do about it". They won't replace a diff for a whine that isn't ear piercing I'm sure. Now, if I could convince them to swap it for the LSD inc some cash on my end...

Well if it's the gearbox put it in neutral at speed and see if you still hear the noise. If you do then it's not the gearbox
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 07:16 PM   #5
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Quote:

Well if it's the gearbox put it in neutral at speed and see if you still hear the noise. If you do then it's not the gearbox
No, that won't do it. Whine from any gear set is often caused by uneven wear or casting flaws or some kind of damage to one side of a gear tooth so usually only happens under load. Putting it into neutral eliminates the load so it would disappear even it was a gearbox issue.

It's going in Tuesday for something else anyway so I'm going to take the shop foreman out to show him the noise anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 08:35 PM   #6
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Quote:

No, that won't do it. Whine from any gear set is often caused by uneven wear or casting flaws or some kind of damage to one side of a gear tooth so usually only happens under load. Putting it into neutral eliminates the load so it would disappear even it was a gearbox issue.

It's going in Tuesday for something else anyway so I'm going to take the shop foreman out to show him the noise anyway.
Maybe ask them to check diff fluid
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 07:56 PM   #7
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

No, the only whine I hear is from my coworkers.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 01:31 AM   #8
EBM235
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Not to bring back an old thread, but I have a diff whine, but it happens on deceleration. When accelerating there is no noise. anyone have an idea what the issue could be and the potential fix without having to replace? Thanks
Appreciate 0