THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Looking for a new daily driver - M235i too much?

10-03-2018, 04:54 PM   #23
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
It's the perfect daily driver. I get 20-21 mpg in my commute mix of city streets and expressway and 30 mpg on straight interstate highway driving. As far as I know the M235 / M240 has Adaptive Suspension as a standard feature on all US versions, where as it was an available option in the Track Handling Package on the 228 / 230. If you are daily driving, the Adaptive Suspension is perfect, but I could see where someone "tracking" their car might want to upgrade to something else. We can all describe our ownership experiences (mine has been outstanding) but only you will know if it's right for you when you drive it.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2018, 04:55 PM   #24
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

I drove an E46 for many years as a commute car and it did everything perfectly. Never went wrong despite the words of gloom from British-based internet people, who swore blind its ratty engine would explode and cause WWIII at every left turn. Ran for 16 years without a single hitch, suckers - I must be just better at looking after my shit than any of you!

I now have a 2er and it’s great for me now I’m semi retired and need something to punt around in and do short journeys. Here, the 230i isn’t the base model for poormen, it’s the most expensive non-M car and sits above SIX other engine types available. (We’re a universe away in that regard.) Yet, while I’ve done two long journeys in it, despite everything - faster, more economical, better equipped, sharper looking, quieter even - it’s not as comfortable and not the same all rounder that the E46 was. The 230i here is a premium vehicle, only available in M “trim” and highly equipped; if I needed a do-anything car I’d have another 3. But circumstances are obviously very different!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 04:58 PM   #25
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregondonor View Post
Not sure how fond I am of the color combo on this particular car...
Mineral White is gorgeous, IMO, and so easy to keep it looking clean. The interior color is beautiful, too. What's not to like?

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 07:45 PM   #26
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
In D mode it just revs 1st high on stop and go traffic and crawling speeds. Because of this, it may not shift and coming off and on the gas is jerky. In 2nd the jerkiness isn’t there as much when coming off and on the gas crawling. But stop and shift back into first and it does it again. It’s just the nature of the zf8. Unless you wanna manual shift and stay in 2nd, the tranny will always go back to 1st once stopped
weird... I never felt car jerk on D.... it's get's a bit jerky if you shift above 3500rpm from first to second but usually on D it will shift around 2k
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 07:54 PM   #27
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks so much for your response.

I didn't know that all US models have the "adaptive" suspension. I have read that there are options out there for that. What about just springs with the EDC? I believe Eibach makes something.

I rarely do any city driving. I live close to the interstate so it's 1 mile out of the subdivision, 20 miles of I-5 then another 20 miles of twisty country roads to the office. I report better than most on fuel economy in my 328. I would imagine the same in a M235.
Yes all US M2XX are adaptive...

You could do just springs but I know of a few cases where the struts will start leaking after switching springs and newly replaced struts will start leaking again shortly after....

I think there are a few aftermarket options that are compatible with EDC...

You could also just go with non-adaptive coilovers and code out the adaptive suspension.

But for me the adaptive suspension is fantastic... could it be firmer in sport ? sure but for what it is it gives you kind of the best of both worlds... but it's not like the M3/M4 where you have multiple levels for steering weight...it's only soft or hard..... also you can't configure suspension independent of steering, it's both or none..
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2018, 08:02 PM   #28
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

I felt sure that I paid extra for adaptive. in any case I like it.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 08:15 PM   #29
tlum235i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
Mineral White is gorgeous, IMO, and so easy to keep it looking clean. The interior color is beautiful, too. What's not to like?
I agree with stevenvillatoro, but I’m biased, because that car for sale at BMW Salem is the exact color combo I have for my 235i. Most of these cars have the black interior, which I’m not personally a fan of, and the brown looks way better in person. As for the rest of the car, it’s awesome and can’t say much more than the praise everyone else has provided other than the driving position is pretty much perfect. Been driving mine every day for over a year to go to work and back, which is about 20 miles each way almost all highway. Definitely take it for a test drive.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2018, 08:40 PM   #30
oregondonor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post

You could also just go with non-adaptive coilovers and code out the adaptive suspension.

But for me the adaptive suspension is fantastic... could it be firmer in sport ? sure but for what it is it gives you kind of the best of both worlds... but it's not like the M3/M4 where you have multiple levels for steering weight...it's only soft or hard..... also you can't configure suspension independent of steering, it's both or none..
I've read post were owners have gone with installing standard coilovers and coding out, just springs designed for EDC as well as adaptive coil over kits that use factory connections. I would probably go the later route as I am pretty obsessive about modifications.

I am to the point to ask my dealership if I can take an extended test drive. It's easy to get a 4xx as they have tons of those in inventory. High end cars are a different story. I would really like to experience the M235i on my daily drive for several days. How much can you really get from a 20 minute test drive?
2016 435i MSport ZHP #85

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 08:44 PM   #31
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post

I've read post were owners have gone with installing standard coil over and coding out, just springs designed for EDC as well as adaptive coil over kits that use factory connections. I would probably go this route as I am pretty obsessive about modifications.

I am to the point to ask my dealership if I can take an extended test drive. It's easy to get a 4xx as they have tons of those in inventory. High end cars are a different story. I would really like to experience the M235i on my daily drive for several days. How much can you really get from a 20 minute test drive?
Extended test drive would be great.

And to have an idea I'm able to fit 2 car seats in the back too, it's tight but doable
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 10:24 PM   #32
mcompact
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
It's an excellent jack of all trades car in stock form, fun when you push it and calm enough when you don't. I have had two of them now one coupe stock and one convertible Dinan, not a single problem with either.
Agreed; I daily a 2014 M235i. You can drive in Comfort and relax or select Sport or Sport+ if you want to amp things up a bit. The only car I'd consider as a replacement is an M2 Competition...
1999 Wrangler Sahara
1995 318ti Club Sport
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2018, 01:39 AM   #33
itsbeenfunmike
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
In D mode it just revs 1st high on stop and go traffic and crawling speeds. Because of this, it may not shift and coming off and on the gas is jerky. In 2nd the jerkiness isn’t there as much when coming off and on the gas crawling. But stop and shift back into first and it does it again. It’s just the nature of the zf8. Unless you wanna manual shift and stay in 2nd, the tranny will always go back to 1st once stopped
I think you need to look into resetting your transmission. I did it to mind and its much smoother in traffic.

However in gridlock I will put it in ECO mode just to save in gas or coast.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 06:47 AM   #34
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMOETO View Post
I don't think it's too much car at all. Consider this:

- Good used examples of an m235i with reasonable miles can be had in the low-mid $20s range. This is new Civic money.
- They are holding up really well so far as far as reliability goes (the n20/n26 engine 228i is a different story).
- The adaptive suspension is actually very nice for daily driving. Comfort mode is perfect for daily driving and long trips. Absorbs bumps much better than any suspension in the e90.
- I get 22-26 mpg in mixed driving on my m240i depending on circumstances. Highway trips I aver around 30mpg. The m235i should be similar. Not bad at all.
I have read about some N20/N26 owners having the timing chain go. Not good! These seem to be mostly early adopters with early build dates.

How much difference is there between the N55 / B58 for power and fuel economy?

I big problem for me is finding a used, non-xi car in the Pacific NW. I'd like to find a local lease return as I did with my 328i. It was CPO as well which is even more of a plus for me.
N20 timing chain issues are overblown forum fire. My 228 has been fantastic. Best daily driver I've ever had. I have the 6MT. I've been BMS Stage 1 tuned for 30k miles, maintainability is inexpensive, I get 35mpg on long trips, there aren't very many around, the stock non-M Sport suspension is a nice balance between sporty and Cadillac.

The M235i is a great car as well. It depends on what you will use it for. I have tracked my car at HPDE's and it's crazy fun. I just didn't need that much car. My 228i is faster that the E46 M3 and it's within inches of the same size without being tiny inside. The comfort and tech of this generation of BMW is great and way past you E9x. There are plenty of CPO 228i's for around $20k.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      10-04-2018, 08:28 AM   #35
aturk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

I have a fully modified m235i, and I daily it for a week at a time, and then switch over to my other daily (13 Acura TL AWD) to keep miles off them both.

My M235i has Dinan springs, 19" wheels/tires, full bolt ons, and Stage2 BM3 tune.

Just turned 20k and have not had any issues related to the modifications, it turns heads, is plenty fast for a daily (probably approaching 400whp in the cooler fall weather), and most importantly - SUPER FUN.

I start work early, so my morning commute has no traffic, my evening traffic sucks, so that's really the only reason I wouldn't drive it every day. I feel like I'm wasting the car sitting in traffic.

Now on the other hand, I've added some sound deadening, some better audio upgrades, and honestly with the 19" MP4S tires, the car rides/drives/sounds/handles better than factory. I love it.

I'll be doing a 400 mile road trip with it this weekend into the mountains of North Carolina and couldn't be more excited.
      10-04-2018, 09:20 AM   #36
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

I've had a 235 as a daily for 4 years, best car I've owned and no regrets.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 09:27 AM   #37
Zwei
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i AW

Garage List
1998 Porsche 911  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I bought my M235i to be my practical car while my daughter drove my E-wagon. When I bought it I thought it would be a good car but the numb steering and weight would make me wish for more performance. Drive by drive this car has thoroughly won me over. I can't give a better complement than it is 90% as comfortable as the MB and gives 90% of the performance of the 911, all in one car. I can steer with the engine! Best DD I've ever had.
1977 Lancia Montecarlo 2002 Acura RSX Type S
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 09:37 AM   #38
CAMOETO
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Quote:
Funny how peoples opinions vary. For some, I would imagine my current DD is too harsh. Maybe the dealership would let me take it for an extended (multi-day) test drive?

Not sure how fond I am of the color combo on this particular car I am looking at: https://www.bmwofsalem.com/certified...a177bf262e.htm
That car looks nice, but is priced too high by about $3-$4k. Don't forget, you always have the option of buying a clean private party car and adding the BMW Gold extended warranty as long as the car is still under the original factory warranty. The Gold extended warranty is roughly equivalent to the CPO warranty and the 6 year plan (2 years coverage after original warranty runs out) can be purchased from some dealers for about $2k after some negotiation.

Gone, but not forgotten: 2017 m240i, 2016 GTI PP, 2013 Camaro SS, 2009 G8 GXP, 2008 G8 GT, 2007 335i, 2003 530i
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 09:54 AM   #39
CAMOETO
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I'd only quibble with you when one's daily commute is like 50-60 miles each way on the turnpike or something along those lines - in which case I'd do a 4 GC. Otherwise the 2 is a strong choice.
It's interesting that you feel that way. My thoughts on the 2er that it's an excellent long distance car as long as you are not carrying lots of people/cargo. I just went on a 450 mile each way solo trip with only one short stop for gas and thought it was a very relaxing drive. Have also gone a couple of similar trips in the past with pretty much the same notes:

- Suspension is very compliant in comfort mode as long as the road is not in the roughest of shapes. Much smoother ride than my E84 for example (or my old E90 and E39, but those had the Sport and M-Sport packages on them). Even in sport mode it's very tolerable.

- Not jittery at all, which was my number one complaint with the e82 135i on multiple test drives, and the reason why I never bought one.

- Surprisingly very stable in cross wind and wind gusts.

- Sound insulation is excellent for this type of car. Very little road noise or engine noise makes it into the cabin when cruising at any speed. Much better than the other Bimmers I have owned. This is with the M-Performance exhaust and optional stock summer only MPSS tires.

Gone, but not forgotten: 2017 m240i, 2016 GTI PP, 2013 Camaro SS, 2009 G8 GXP, 2008 G8 GT, 2007 335i, 2003 530i
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2018, 10:17 AM   #40
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Hello all 2 owners out there!
Is this too much car for a daily driver? I currently get 26mpg + I am lowered, the ride is slightly rough but not too much for my aging body. I love spirited driving as my commute takes me through country back roads with plenty of turns.

Hoping you can help with comments on fuel economy, daily drivability, known issues, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Randy
The M235i should be a sweet spot for desired use. My M240i w/ a Dinan Stage 1 gets 26.6 MPG around town. The M235i should provide about the same MPG's and fun factor.

I'm thinking even an 230i would give you plenty of enjoyment too.

The new 2ers are pretty bullet-proof based on all surveys and reports.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 01:21 PM   #41
oregondonor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMOETO View Post
That car looks nice, but is priced too high by about $3-$4k. Don't forget, you always have the option of buying a clean private party car and adding the BMW Gold extended warranty as long as the car is still under the original factory warranty. The Gold extended warranty is roughly equivalent to the CPO warranty and the 6 year plan (2 years coverage after original warranty runs out) can be purchased from some dealers for about $2k after some negotiation.
It has very low miles and lots of M performance bits on it.

LSD is the biggy and makes it worth it!
2016 435i MSport ZHP #85

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 02:17 PM   #42
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:

I don't see any M Performance bit of on it. How do you know it has the LSD?
      10-04-2018, 02:40 PM   #43
CAMOETO
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

39k miles is average miles for a 2015 m235i. I've seen plenty of examples out there with 15k-30k miles (or less) for that price or lower.

What M-performance bits are on it? I don't see anything as far as the cosmetic stuff is concerned. Does it perhaps have the MPE exhaust? Assuming that it really does have the MP LSD, that costs ~$2300. The MPE is ~$1k. You can't really calculate it that way though if the parts were installed when the car was new. They also have 39k miles on them and depreciate with the rest of the car.

If you are set on that specific example, you should get it by all means but try to negotiate a more reasonable price.

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 03:33 PM   #44
vwcrusher
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xdrive

Hopefully not too much duplication, but I traded in my Outback for a M240i Xdrive. Been through one winter so far, and no problem. The only practical drawback is that it can't carry very much - good that wife's car is an SUV. Other than than, I haven't enjoyed just driving as much in quite a while....and, FWIW it gets over 30MPG on the hiway....GL.
Appreciate 0