THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics M2 Stereo - want advice

09-12-2018, 09:46 PM   #1
wkkiminct
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C

M2 Stereo - want advice

Hi

I am trying to improve the sound quality of my M2 Competition (HK audio), so researched this forum for last a few weeks. After reading many extremely helpful postings (thank you!), I finally set my plan for gears as follows. Could you please chime in if something is wrong here or I overlooked anything? I would say I have been an audiophile for more than two decades, but a newbie for a car stereo mod.

1. ASD removal (done. Techinic pnp harness)
2. Center channel disconnection
3. Two pairs of Focal Power K2 ES 100K for front and rear
4. Two pairs of 4 hole to 3 hole adapter from Techinic pnp (https://technicpnp.com/product/door-...em-connectors/)
5. JL Audio XD600/6V2
6. Technic PNP amp harness (https://technicpnp.com/product/7ch-h...hk674-harness/)
7. One pair of Focal suv V2
8. Some dynamat
9. Door trim tool set

If I can ask one more (dumb) question: when installing JL amp, am I replacing the existing amp or add to it (like the stock amp as a pass through)? I originally thought the oem amp will be taken out, but the thought became vague after seeing Viffermike's setup (I would not care about the post adjustability of amp though). Probably I couldn't correctly understand his setup? My top priority is that car still looks stock after mod, so I want to put the JL where the oem was.

Thank you for your advice!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 06:42 AM   #2
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

While you are doing all of that I would highly recommend prewiring for an in trunk sub so you're ready if you decide to add one. Remote on/off wire and an RCA cable will run you under $10. An additional JL remote will be $25.

Not sure if you included a remote in your initial build but you should. See Viffer's install for details.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      09-13-2018, 10:15 AM   #3
wkkiminct
Private
Rep

Thank you for the encouraging words. Yes I will definitely think about the remote and prewiring you suggested!

Getting back to one of my original questions, if you could answer me, am i right that taking out oem amp and put JL audio on that spot using Technic PNP harness?

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
While you are doing all of that I would highly recommend prewiring for an in trunk sub so your ready if you decide to add one. Remote on/off wire and an RCA cable will run you under $10. An additional JL remote will be $25.

Not sure if you included a remote in your initial build but you should. See Viffer's install for details.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 10:52 AM   #4
JerryW235
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 40i; 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkkiminct View Post
Thank you for the encouraging words. Yes I will definitely think about the remote and prewiring you suggested!

Getting back to one of my original questions, if you could answer me, am i right that taking out oem amp and put JL audio on that spot using Technic PNP harness?

Thanks again.
I installed a JL amp in my M235i. Removed the OEM amp, and modified the bracket to mount the JL in it. Also used the Technic harness.
      09-13-2018, 10:55 AM   #5
wkkiminct
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryW235 View Post
I installed a JL amp in my M235i. Removed the OEM amp, and modified the bracket to mount the JL in it. Also used the Technic harness.
Thanks for the confirmation! I will follow your route.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 02:07 PM   #6
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation! I will follow your route.
Hey there!

As others have indicated, the 600/6 will fit in the OEM amp's spot fine. What they haven't mentioned is that the ASD module that's separate from the OEM amplifier module (and mounted on the same bracket as the OEM amplifier module) will have to be re-mounted somewhere else if you remove the OEM amplifier. That ASD module cannot be removed from the system; it will send fault codes to iDrive and deactivate all sound. This is why the ASD Delete harness is so vital to any 2 Series amplifier upgrade.

The above is one of several reasons why I decided on the type of install I did -- mounting the amp in the trunk directly above the OEM amp modules, which I didn't remove. The biggest reason, however, was having the 600/6 easily accessible for adjustments after the install. If you mount it where the OEM amp lives now, you will have to tear the corner of your trunk partially apart each time you need to make an adjustment. Not fun.

Your hardware list looks promising; let us know how everything goes!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 03:21 PM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Not sure it it would be logistically possible with the harness from Elias but...

My sub amp lives right next to the battery I literally just double back taped it down and it's very solid. Lots of air space around it for cooling and hidden in the floor. Just another option.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      09-13-2018, 04:22 PM   #8
wkkiminct
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Hey there!

As others have indicated, the 600/6 will fit in the OEM amp's spot fine. What they haven't mentioned is that the ASD module that's separate from the OEM amplifier module (and mounted on the same bracket as the OEM amplifier module) will have to be re-mounted somewhere else if you remove the OEM amplifier. That ASD module cannot be removed from the system; it will send fault codes to iDrive and deactivate all sound. This is why the ASD Delete harness is so vital to any 2 Series amplifier upgrade.

The above is one of several reasons why I decided on the type of install I did -- mounting the amp in the trunk directly above the OEM amp modules, which I didn't remove. The biggest reason, however, was having the 600/6 easily accessible for adjustments after the install. If you mount it where the OEM amp lives now, you will have to tear the corner of your trunk partially apart each time you need to make an adjustment. Not fun.

Your hardware list looks promising; let us know how everything goes!
Thank you for the detailed description and encouraging words. The way you configured makes very sense! I will have to think about which way I really want to go, exposed like you or hidden like some other people.

My current focus is how I am going to deal with k2 crossover in rear. I could go without crossover but it is not ideal. The second scenario can be finding smaller crossover from like old Focal K2 130KRC. Last option may be going with some other speakers. The rear is not my big concern anyways. I will keep you updated in this thread for future users if I find something good.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 04:26 PM   #9
wkkiminct
Private
Rep

Quote:
Not sure it it would be logistically possible with the harness from Elias but...

My sub amp lives right next to the battery I literally just double back taped it down and it's very solid. Lots of air space around it for cooling and hidden in the floor. Just another option.
Thanks for the comment! I will try some research on that part. I am still fighting with myself whether I really need a real sub like you have, because my favorite genre is more like piano based jazz
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 02:47 PM   #10
ctemkin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Save original amp

If you replace the original amp--I did, with a Bimmertech purchased through Bavsound--remember to save the original amp. The reason is that if the car ever has to have its programming updated, the update will not work while the replacement amp is installed. I just keep the old one in my trunk, just to be sure that it is handy if it ever has to be temporarily reinstalled in order the permit the update.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 03:01 PM   #11
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the comment! I will try some research on that part. I am still fighting with myself whether I really need a real sub like you have, because my favorite genre is more like piano based jazz
Yeah I mean you could put your main amp there. Regarding the additional sub I find it to be worthwhile even if it's dialed down, the in-cabin speakers can do what they're best at that way. My total audio build for each car was right around $3k with the sub taking up about $1k by the time you do amp, speaker, enclosure.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 07:11 PM   #12
wkkiminct
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctemkin View Post
If you replace the original amp--I did, with a Bimmertech purchased through Bavsound--remember to save the original amp. The reason is that if the car ever has to have its programming updated, the update will not work while the replacement amp is installed. I just keep the old one in my trunk, just to be sure that it is handy if it ever has to be temporarily reinstalled in order the permit the update.
Ah, Thank you. That is very good to know! I didn't know that I may need the original amp in future. Would the replacement void any warranty except the warranty on HK system?
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      09-14-2018, 07:19 PM   #13
wkkiminct
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I mean you could put your main amp there. Regarding the additional sub I find it to be worthwhile even if it's dialed down, the in-cabin speakers can do what they're best at that way. My total audio build for each car was right around $3k with the sub taking up about $1k by the time you do amp, speaker, enclosure.
I got it. If you could put an amp for a sub there, yes, that is also very promising place! Thanks. Wow 3K is quite a big money for a car stereo. Your system should be sublime. I ordered all the hardware listed in my original post based on the comments here, and my current spending is around 1.6-1.7K.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 09:50 AM   #14
wkkiminct
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hi

I am trying to improve the sound quality of my M2 Competition (HK audio), so researched this forum for last a few weeks. After reading many extremely helpful postings (thank you!), I finally set my plan for gears as follows. Could you please chime in if something is wrong here or I overlooked anything? I would say I have been an audiophile for more than two decades, but a newbie for a car stereo mod.

1. ASD removal (done. Techinic pnp harness)
2. Center channel disconnection
3. Two pairs of Focal Power K2 ES 100K for front and rear
4. Two pairs of 4 hole to 3 hole adapter from Techinic pnp (https://technicpnp.com/product/door-...em-connectors/)
5. JL Audio XD600/6V2
6. Technic PNP amp harness (https://technicpnp.com/product/7ch-h...hk674-harness/)
7. One pair of Focal suv V2
8. Some dynamat
9. Door trim tool set

If I can ask one more (dumb) question: when installing JL amp, am I replacing the existing amp or add to it (like the stock amp as a pass through)? I originally thought the oem amp will be taken out, but the thought became vague after seeing Viffermike's setup (I would not care about the post adjustability of amp though). Probably I couldn't correctly understand his setup? My top priority is that car still looks stock after mod, so I want to put the JL where the oem was.

Thank you for your advice!
Hi I am quickly updating my project here because my plan changes.

1. Under seat woofer: replaced with Focal IFBMW-sub V2: perfect fit, no clearance issue.
2. Rear shelf speakers: I finally decided to go with Focal IFBMW-s for rear shelf speakers but they don't fit to the place without significant mod. Driver is same size with the front but the brakets are different. I gave up and probably go with Eton B100N
3. Front door: Focal ES100K arrived, waiting for an adapter from Technic PNP
4. Amp: JL Audio XD600/6V2 was bought but I decided to go with Helix Match UP 7BMW. This amp hasn't used or even installed. Totally new. If somebody is interested in I can sell @400 bucks including shipping to CONUS. I bought this from a seller who has a perfect reputation in eBay but a return is not allowed by their policy. So my loss is you gain.

I will keep you posted my progress here with a hope that somebody in future doesn't make the same mistake I did.
Appreciate 0