THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum No active engine sound in 2018 M240i?!

10-16-2018, 01:08 PM   #45
blackbm5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i Performance Edition

In my 18 M240i RWD 6mt I have yet to notice a difference either.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 06:41 AM   #46
Avex
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
If you like a fake exhaust sound then I guess it would be. But, I don't know many that would actually like that fake Vrrooom vrroom sound
so i coded asd off for about a month to experience stock exhaust but since the car was still new to me then, I actually couldn't tell the difference in sound. Coded asd back on today and can now discern what the 'fake' noises are.

Honestly? I don't hate it. I've had my mates film the car while i took off/revved the engine/downshift when I had ASD off, I always thought it sounded great but was rather muted in volume. In the videos however, the sound recorded from outside, behind the exhaust is way louder than in the driver's cabin; even with the windows down.

IMO, ASD actually does a pretty decent job at replicating a spectator's experience of the exhaust. I'm more inclined to say the sound is amplified rather than faked. I can see why ASD is divisive in the community, I for one think it's a good and fairly accurate way to experience your exhaust standing behind it rather than sitting ahead of it if that floats your boat. The pops and crackles in ASD is just ridiculous though, love it or hate it.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 10:29 AM   #47
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avex View Post
so i coded asd off for about a month to experience stock exhaust but since the car was still new to me then, I actually couldn't tell the difference in sound. Coded asd back on today and can now discern what the 'fake' noises are.

Honestly? I don't hate it. I've had my mates film the car while i took off/revved the engine/downshift when I had ASD off, I always thought it sounded great but was rather muted in volume. In the videos however, the sound recorded from outside, behind the exhaust is way louder than in the driver's cabin; even with the windows down.

IMO, ASD actually does a pretty decent job at replicating a spectator's experience of the exhaust. I'm more inclined to say the sound is amplified rather than faked. I can see why ASD is divisive in the community, I for one think it's a good and fairly accurate way to experience your exhaust standing behind it rather than sitting ahead of it if that floats your boat. The pops and crackles in ASD is just ridiculous though, love it or hate it.
I think you're hearing things! ASD is fake amplified engine sound through the speakers for in-cabin and does not change the sound of your actual exhaust. There will be no discernible difference outside of the car maybe unless you crank your stereo volume all the way and have your windows down.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 11:46 AM   #48
Avex
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
I think you're hearing things! ASD is fake amplified engine sound through the speakers for in-cabin and does not change the sound of your actual exhaust. There will be no discernible difference outside of the car maybe unless you crank your stereo volume all the way and have your windows down.
think you might be reading my response wrong. what i'm saying is that ASD, while fake, is an accurate depiction of what one might hear from the exhaust if one were to listen to it from outside the cabin which is usually amplified anyway. I think 'fake' is too harsh a word, artificially and accurately amplified would be my personal pick.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 12:52 PM   #49
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avex View Post
think you might be reading my response wrong. what i'm saying is that ASD, while fake, is an accurate depiction of what one might hear from the exhaust if one were to listen to it from outside the cabin which is usually amplified anyway. I think 'fake' is too harsh a word, artificially and accurately amplified would be my personal pick.
A synonym of fake is artificial. Same smell different arm pit. It's a fake sound amplified through speakers. https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/fake
Appreciate 0