THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Aston Martin DB11 on the Autobahn

03-27-2020, 11:42 AM   #1
motoent
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

Aston Martin DB11 on the Autobahn

Caught a DB11:

Appreciate 2
3798j11165.50
M5Rick58873.50
      03-27-2020, 11:50 AM   #2
Burnsey
Just A Regular Guy
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition X-Drive

Garage List
The second video of this channel I've watched and to be honest, I have more fun watching paint dry.
Appreciate 8
Soterios575.00
Salty Dog3572.50
tim99ws6110.00
euro*1654.00
Germanauto9665.50
premier3is1627.00
      03-27-2020, 04:30 PM   #3
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Boring ass video. Also, DB11 driver must be another rich old dude with more $ than driving skills or desire
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 06:23 PM   #4
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep
Drives: STO /765LTS/ Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
Boring ass video. Also, DB11 driver must be another rich old dude with more $ than driving skills or desire
You realize not everyone is trying to race around and drive like an asshole right? Some people are just trying to get from point A to point B.

Also OP, to be honest I don't get it...Are you just taking videos of random cars on the autobahn? Is there something special about spotting a DB11? I'd imagine it's quite common to find high-end cars out there...
      03-28-2020, 04:35 PM   #5
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacht3 View Post
You realize not everyone is trying to race around and drive like an asshole right? Some people are just trying to get from point A to point B.

Also OP, to be honest I don't get it...Are you just taking videos of random cars on the autobahn? Is there something special about spotting a DB11? I'd imagine it's quite common to find high-end cars out there...
I never said race
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 02:40 PM   #6
motoent
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacht3 View Post
Aston Martins are actually rather rare on the Autobahn. You will find plenty of German cars in the fast lane - Audis, BMWs and Porsches - but even a Ferrari or Lambo is easier to spot than an Aston Martin.

To the two commenters who found the video boring, would you mind telling us what you didn't like? We try to give a realistic impression of what it's really like to drive the Autobahn. A lot of what you find on YouTube is hyped up or going 200 mph on an empty stretch, but most cars are limited to 155 mph and the Autobahn is typically not empty. For those who have driven it, our videos may be boring, but lots of people in the world haven't.

Anyway, is it that you expected more speed or riskier driving? Is it the commentary? What would you have liked to see?

Appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 03:37 PM   #7
Burnsey
Just A Regular Guy
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition X-Drive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoent View Post
Aston Martins are actually rather rare on the Autobahn. You will find plenty of German cars in the fast lane - Audis, BMWs and Porsches - but even a Ferrari or Lambo is easier to spot than an Aston Martin.

To the two commenters who found the video boring, would you mind telling us what you didn't like? We try to give a realistic impression of what it's really like to drive the Autobahn. A lot of what you find on YouTube is hyped up or going 200 mph on an empty stretch, but most cars are limited to 155 mph and the Autobahn is typically not empty. For those who have driven it, our videos may be boring, but lots of people in the world haven't.

Anyway, is it that you expected more speed or riskier driving? Is it the commentary? What would you have liked to see?

Appreciate it.
I didn't mean to be rude, but just not understanding the point of the video, at all.

Yes, there is some verbal commentary on the featured car, but you're never close enough for detailed views, so the car isn't really the focus, but instead it is the Autobahn, which inherently is a dull stretch of road.

What do you see as the point of the videos?
Appreciate 2
premier3is1627.00
      04-02-2020, 05:56 AM   #8
motoent
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Burns View Post
I didn't mean to be rude, but just not understanding the point of the video, at all.

Yes, there is some verbal commentary on the featured car, but you're never close enough for detailed views, so the car isn't really the focus, but instead it is the Autobahn, which inherently is a dull stretch of road.

What do you see as the point of the videos?
The idea is to find performance cars on the Autobahn and provide a glimpse into what people really do with them on a road where speed limits aren't holding them back. We also want to give an impression of what the cars looks like in real-life action. And we provide some basic information about each car while looking at it.

Ideally, we find people going fast and road conditions that allow for that, but we need luck as this isn't staged. We can of course not drive too close so the view is not perfect - indeed the faster we go, the less close we can drive of course, so the slow stretches actually help to get a better view of the car.

There are plenty of videos out there where the details of the exterior and interior of cool cars are filmed in a parking lot - the first 20 minutes of a Doug DeMuro video - so we think that supply is already there. There are also plenty of videos where people drive a fast car on the Autobahn filmed from the perspective of the driver, but you don't see the car that way - just the road and the speed. There are also videos showing drivers or passengers react to fast driving or acceleration, but - again - you don't really see the car.

Of course, you can see what performance cars look like in action on TopGear or the MotorTrend channel, where they film them on closed race tracks, but that is staged and not real life. We are more interested in what one can actually do with a car like that in everyday life when you own one.

The Aston Martin video doesn't provide for much fast driving except for the first 40 seconds, we know - some of our other videos have much more of that - but we made a judgment call because you can literally count the times you will catch an Aston Martin on camera on the Autobahn on one hand.

Would it help if we explained at the outset of our videos what the point is? That way, viewers could decide right away whether they want to see this or not.
Appreciate 2
Burnsey315.50
..Rush..973.50
      04-02-2020, 12:44 PM   #9
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Didn't want the video but when I hear autobahn, I think of Porsche stating that windshield wipers should not be used in excess of 155mph.
Appreciate 1
Flacht31135.00
      04-02-2020, 01:10 PM   #10
..Rush..
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E88

Agree with the author.
It's basically showing you what real high-grade cars look and act like on the autobahn. This is not some "James Bond-like" over edited, amplified music upload. There's plenty of that on YouTube. I rather like it. Less is more.
Appreciate 1
motoent25.00
      04-02-2020, 07:02 PM   #11
motoent
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
When I hear autobahn, I think of Porsche stating that windshield wipers should not be used in excess of 155mph.
That's funny ... just in case someone feels the need to go 160 mph in the rain.

Porsche doesn't put speed limiters in and any 911 today can go at least 190 mph, so I guess they have to think about that stuff.

I hear that another reason why many manufacturers like to put speed limiters in is that you can get away with W index tires and don't need Y.
Appreciate 1
PoorLurker1135.00
      04-02-2020, 09:46 PM   #12
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoent View Post
Quote:
When I hear autobahn, I think of Porsche stating that windshield wipers should not be used in excess of 155mph.
That's funny ... just in case someone feels the need to go 160 mph in the rain.

Porsche doesn't put speed limiters in and any 911 today can go at least 190 mph, so I guess they have to think about that stuff.

I hear that another reason why many manufacturers like to put speed limiters in is that you can get away with W index tires and don't need Y.
American S Class have had H rated tires for years because higher rated tires tend to develop flat spots when sitting for a few days. Problem solved, and now you can only do 130mph.
Appreciate 1
motoent25.00
      04-05-2020, 11:48 AM   #13
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

Aston Martin being stalked for over 5 minutes. Creepy
Appreciate 1
motoent25.00
      04-05-2020, 03:03 PM   #14
motoent
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383vett View Post
Aston Martin being stalked for over 5 minutes. Creepy

We once had someone comment on our Kia Stinger video who thought it was him. He seemed (positively) excited.

Unfortunately, he deleted the comment again. He had posted the date he had driven down that section of the Autobahn and then must have realized that it was after the publication date of the video.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 10:41 PM   #15
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Burns View Post
The second video of this channel I've watched and to be honest, I have more fun watching paint dry.
Agree. Rather watch grass grow. Boring as hell, no offense to OP.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2020, 01:02 AM   #16
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Didn't want the video but when I hear autobahn, I think of Porsche stating that windshield wipers should not be used in excess of 155mph.
Your e9x probably has a codeable setting which will switch the wipers off above 210kph, then back on below 210kph...my e91 330d does.

+1 for the boring vote, sorry OP. I just can't think what there is to like about the video... If you've ever driven on a motorway, then you know what that looks like (autobahn is just like any other motorway, but everyone does 100mph instead of 70-80). And clearly you can't get a good look at the car because it's away in front. You can't even hear what it sounds like when doing these decent speeds. The only 'interesting' thing that could happen in one of these videos would be some seriously bad/risky driving, or a massive accident, and I don't want to see either of those.

I'd be more interested in the video if you just called it 'slow TV' and recorded 3h of uncut driving on the autobahn...there's nothing interesting going on, but at least then that would be the whole point of the video.

Kudos for making something, but I think you need to aim for different and better, not just different.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 01:28 AM   #17
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Your e9x probably has a codeable setting which will switch the wipers off above 210kph, then back on below 210kph...my e91 330d does.

+1 for the boring vote, sorry OP. I just can't think what there is to like about the video... If you've ever driven on a motorway, then you know what that looks like (autobahn is just like any other motorway, but everyone does 100mph instead of 70-80). And clearly you can't get a good look at the car because it's away in front. You can't even hear what it sounds like when doing these decent speeds. The only 'interesting' thing that could happen in one of these videos would be some seriously bad/risky driving, or a massive accident, and I don't want to see either of those.

I'd be more interested in the video if you just called it 'slow TV' and recorded 3h of uncut driving on the autobahn...there's nothing interesting going on, but at least that would be the whole point of the video.

Kudos for making something, but I think you need to aim for different and better, not just different.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 06:42 AM   #18
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Agree. Rather watch grass grow. Boring as hell, no offense to OP.
+1

That narrator could make a busload of drunk cheerleaders boring.
      04-18-2020, 07:29 AM   #19
motoent
Rep

Thanks everyone who provided constructive criticism and of course everyone who liked the video. We made a new video to better explain what our channel is about and will put links to it at the beginning of our videos.

Thank you all for your help.

Appreciate 0