THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying & Live w the Harmon Kardon System

05-01-2016, 07:14 PM   #67
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kantalias View Post
Why not put Etons in the rear too? Was it just cost or is there some difference in mounting?
That's a great question. It was kind of serendipity. I was initially concerned to find speakers that would fit physically in the back. The JLAudios were recommended and they went in without any problem whatsoever.

They are also brighter than the Etons and, after I installed them, I liked that. The Etons are very smooth speakers with a clearly defined lower end but the Etons are, shall we say, refined at the upper end, especially compared with the over-the-top HK tweeters. So I was glad to add the JLAudios, whose top end is a little more pronounced. The fader control helps to balance the audio spectrum. The end result is a nice, easy-to-listen-to system with lots of clarity throughout - which addresses one of the HK system's major deficiencies, what Solarphil describes below as "blurry smear."

It also happened that the JLAudios were about $100/pair compared with about $250/pair for the Etons but I didn't choose the JLAudios for that reason.

I don't know about mounting the Etons in the back. I'm guessing they'd fit but I just don't know. But since the combination of Eton/JLAudio sounds good I personally would recommend using the JLs in the back. The savings are a bonus.

Last edited by selmeralto; 08-10-2016 at 07:14 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2016, 11:12 AM   #68
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by selmeralto View Post
That's a great question. It was kind of serendipity. I was initially concerned to find speakers would fit physically in the back. The JLAudios were recommended and they went in without any problem whatsoever.

They are also brighter than the Etons and, after I installed them, I liked that. The Etons are very smooth speakers with a clearly defined lower end but they are, shall we say, refined at the upper end, especially compared with the over-the-top HK tweeters. So I was glad to add the JLAudios, whose top end is a little more pronounced. The fader control helps to balance the audio spectrum. The end result is a nice, easy-to-listen-to system with lots of clarity throughout.

It also happened that the JLAudios were about $100/pair compared with about $250/pair for the Etons but I didn't choose the JLAudios for that reason.

I don't know about mounting the Etons in the back. I'm guessing they'd fit but I just don't know. But since the combination of Eton/JLAudio sounds good I personally would recommend using the JLs in the back. The savings are a bonus.
Furthermore, Kantalias (if I may; selmeralto and I had this convo before), the Etons -- or any component pair, up to a certain point -- are a waste of money as used in the 2 Series rear setup. You gain no soundstage advantage with the separate tweeter like you would in a door-mount setup, and rear speakers just aren't nearly as critical to a system as many would have you believe.

That the JL Audios are brighter may be as much of a function of how the tweeters are inherently aimed -- they reflect off of the rear glass, which would keep the soundwaves crisp acoustically -- as any difference in responsiveness. A component set would function exactly the same unless the tweeters are custom mounted in a location other than the blank cutout underneath the rear grilles. Also, because the rears are almost always dialed down in the fader control compared to the fronts, the relative response in the lower registers will naturally be more subdued (i.e., less power and SPL) compared to the higher registers; this contributes to the brighter feel of the rears.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 11:35 AM   #69
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Furthermore, Kantalias (if I may; selmeralto and I had this convo before), the Etons -- or any component pair, up to a certain point -- are a waste of money as used in the 2 Series rear setup. You gain no soundstage advantage with the separate tweeter like you would in a door-mount setup, and rear speakers just aren't nearly as critical to a system as many would have you believe.

That the JL Audios are brighter may be as much of a function of how the tweeters are inherently aimed -- they reflect off of the rear glass, which would keep the soundwaves crisp acoustically -- as any difference in responsiveness. A component set would function exactly the same unless the tweeters are custom mounted in a location other than the blank cutout underneath the rear grilles. Also, because the rears are almost always dialed down in the fader control compared to the fronts, the relative response in the lower registers will naturally be more subdued (i.e., less power and SPL) compared to the higher registers; this contributes to the brighter feel of the rears.
Thanks, Viffermike. But I want to follow up one thing. It is possible that the JLs just are brighter than the Etons, in the sense that if we controlled for location (e.g., putting them both in the rear deck) and neither tweeter being aimable, the JLs would sound brighter. If that's the case, then the JLs would be the speaker of choice for a couple of reasons: first, they're brighter (assuming this is a good thing in the car) and second, we're not sure that the Etons will fit exactly in the back. And of course the JLs are cheaper. I say this just as a suggestion to readers who are considering their options.

Last edited by selmeralto; 12-13-2016 at 06:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 11:52 PM   #70
Solarphil
Private
Rep
Drives: Nickole - MG & CR M235i

I just finished installing a pair of Etons this afternoon (install write up in another thread) after unplugging the center last weekend, and I've got to say I am impressed. I think you nailed it with "refined" - none of the blurry smear that I had gotten used to with the HK. I realized I had gotten accustomed to music being a bit grating in the car, it was nice to hear clear music again.

JLs are scheduled to arrive soon, hopefully in time for sunny weather this weekend.

Happiness.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2016, 12:56 AM   #71
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarphil View Post
I just finished installing a pair of Etons this afternoon (install write up in another thread) after unplugging the center last weekend, and I've got to say I am impressed. I think you nailed it with "refined" - none of the blurry smear that I had gotten used to with the HK. I realized I had gotten accustomed to music being a bit grating in the car, it was nice to hear clear music again.

JLs are scheduled to arrive soon, hopefully in time for sunny weather this weekend.

Happiness.
So glad you like the Etons. I think you'll be really pleased when you add the JLs.

I urge everyone considering front door replacements to look at Solarphil's excellent installation instructions. Very helpful.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2016, 06:47 PM   #72
Xenny
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m235i

just finished putting the JL's in the rear, but had a question about putting the grill back on. are people leaving the grill off? it looks like the clearance to the coax tweeter would be pretty damn close when popping the grill back on...
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 06:54 PM   #73
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenny View Post
just finished putting the JL's in the rear, but had a question about putting the grill back on. are people leaving the grill off? it looks like the clearance to the coax tweeter would be pretty damn close when popping the grill back on...
Yes, use the grill. No contact on top and you don't want to risk having something puncture the cone. Also, the grill provides some protection from direct sunlight on the cones and surrounds.

Last edited by selmeralto; 05-08-2016 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 03:02 PM   #74
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Installed the Technic ASD Bypass harness this morning. Nice change.

Incremental improvements, but they all make a difference. All I've done is disconnect the centre channel and install the harness, but now I think the sound is decent and tolerable.

Next up ... might do the JL's on the rear deck.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 03:05 PM   #75
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
Installed the Technic ASD Bypass harness this morning. Nice change.

Incremental improvements, but they all make a difference. All I've done is disconnect the centre channel and install the harness, but now I think the sound is decent and tolerable.

Next up ... might do the JL's on the rear deck.
Well, the rear speakers will make a big difference. I'm guessing once they're in you'll be tempted to do something to the front. The bug has bitten others.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 06:44 PM   #76
Xenny
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m235i

finished installing the etons today after putting in the JL's yesterday. I'm glad I didn't sit on the fence on this for awhile, it was well worth it.

Thanks selmeralto for this very informative thread!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 06:50 PM   #77
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenny View Post
finished installing the etons today after putting in the JL's yesterday. I'm glad I didn't sit on the fence on this for awhile, it was well worth it.

Thanks selmeralto for this very informative thread!
Great, Xenny. Happy this went well.

I've added a few more updates to my initial post (#1) for people who are considering going this route.

I really can't see dumping up to $2K for a system when, for less than 1/4 of that price, you can get a pretty decent sounding system with none of the unpleasant surprises people have been experiencing with the pricier alternatives that involve messing with the computerized electronics.

Last edited by selmeralto; 06-27-2016 at 06:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 06:51 PM   #78
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Well, the rear speakers will make a big difference. I'm guessing once they're in you'll be tempted to do something to the front. The bug has bitten others.
I don't have a good working space so pretty leery about doing the doors. I did put the Bavsound Stage 1 in my E90 when I had it so I can do the work ... just have to figure out whether I think it's worth it for the effort involved. JL's in the rear seem like a no-brainer in that regard.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 06:53 PM   #79
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
I don't have a good working space so pretty leery about doing the doors. I did put the Bavsound Stage 1 in my E90 when I had it so I can do the work ... just have to figure out whether I think it's worth it for the effort involved. JL's in the rear seem like a no-brainer in that regard.
Understand completely.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 02:08 PM   #80
mikkemille
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

Good thread. Any idea if Eton makes a similar 4" coax speaker? I haven't been able to find one.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 02:14 PM   #81
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkemille View Post
Good thread. Any idea if Eton makes a similar 4" coax speaker? I haven't been able to find one.
I'll PM you the contact number for their distributor. They've been very helpful. I recommend you give them complete information: year, make, model, location of speakers, and ohmage if you know it.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 02:29 PM   #82
mikkemille
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
I'll PM you the contact number for their distributor. They've been very helpful. I recommend you give them complete information: year, make, model, location of speakers, and ohmage if you know it.
Thanks. I might have found it now though - PRX 110.2. I incorrectly assumed it'd have a similar nomenclature to the B100 series.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 02:34 PM   #83
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkemille View Post
Thanks. I might have found it now though - PRX 110.2. I incorrectly assumed it'd have a similar nomenclature to the B100 series.

Great. You might want to double-check with them anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 03:05 PM   #84
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

So, I've installed the JL's in the back and that's it. Nice improvement in midrange and punch vs. the garbage HK's in the back.

I still have the center hooked up, my only question is if I disconnect the center does this impact the navigation sounds, car sensors noises when parking in tight spots, and/or phone call volume? I use all regularly and just want to make sure I'll still get that audio from the remaining hooked up speakers.

Thanks
      05-09-2016, 03:17 PM   #85
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372 View Post
So, I've installed the JL's in the back and that's it. Nice improvement in midrange and punch vs. the garbage HK's in the back.

I still have the center hooked up, my only question is if I disconnect the center does this impact the navigation sounds, car sensors noises when parking in tight spots, and/or phone call volume? I use all regularly and just want to make sure I'll still get that audio from the remaining hooked up speakers.

Thanks
No, it shouldn't. Disconnect at will!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 03:38 PM   #86
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep

I should add that I don't have the parking technology so I can't vouch for those sounds but, since my navigation and phone sounds come through, I'd really doubt that the parking sensor sounds would be any different. If I'm wrong, you can always just plug the center speaker assembly back in. Just be careful doing the disconnect so you can go back if you have to.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 05:25 PM   #87
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372 View Post

Thanks
I have the parking sensors. No issue at all without the centre speaker. No issue with nav or phone either.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 08:17 PM   #88
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

Ok, disconnected the center speaker. Recall I have the JL's in the back and have fader set 3 notches to the back, bass 1 notch above mid and treble 2/3 between middle and all the way up; I know I like my treble.

I think this sounds actually quite good and powerful with volume only 1/2 way up. I'm using Spotify streaming with the USB which is 320 kbs, not CD level, but sounds good to me.

That center speaker really distorted in a bad way the entire sound in the car. The system sounds more powerful than before, which can't be of course, but I think the center just covered up everything. This is a no brainer change as the difference when matched with the new rears is quite good. I think I'm satisfied with this $100 total investment and a combined 20-30 minutes between back and center disconnect. I'm sure the doors would help too, but I think this sounds good, so don't think I'll bother, but we'll see in a few months.

I recommend people start with the JL's in back along with center disconnect and see if this cheap/easy investment isn't enough for your needs. If you want more, add the Eton or whatever door componants you want. For such a small car, I can't really see needing anymore sound/volume that what I've got now, but to each their own; amp and subwoofer upgrade if already have HK system seems overkill in terms of cost, and from what I've read so far, improvement in sound.