THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications Turn signal switchbacks....

03-13-2020, 11:01 PM   #1
Raymondo1234
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235xi

Turn signal switchbacks....

Do these look compatible?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/h5.alie...042412892.html
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 08:12 PM   #2
Sail Boat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymondo1234 View Post
It's pictured functioning on an F30, so I'd wager they'd work.

One note, our turn signal reflectors are intended to be viewed from the left and right sides of the vehicle. If I understand what these do, they will be on 100% of the time meaning a bright white light will be shining into the eyes/peripherals of other drivers on the road, i.e., cars in adjacent lanes on the highway. It's merely a looks vs. safety question, just something to think about.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2020, 08:34 PM   #3
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

That is the correct size bulb for our front turn signal bulbs, so if the description is correct it should fit.

The one thing that worries me is our front turn signal bulbs are one element (one + and one - connection for one light circuit). So they are already switchbacks from the factory but they are amber/amber. When the parking lighst is to be on, the computer turns on the + and - to light the circuit. When you put on a turn signal or flashers, the computer sends a pulsing on and off signal to make the light blink on and off.

How would you get a switchback bulb that normally has two elements to power it (if the parking light is on it gets constant power to control the switchback) to work with one single circuit that is turning on and off? I wonder if they really found a way to get it to work without having it blink amber once every time you turn on the parking lights. And/or if there would a delay of two blink cycles before the bulb knows its getting constant power to turn the white circuit back on everytime the turn signal stops.

That might be a lot to put up with just to have white/amber.

Or maybe these guys figured out a way around those problems and can still sell it for $17
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2020, 10:42 PM   #4
Raymondo1234
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235xi

I've ordered a set to see if they will work. I am not convinced, but we shall see. I also think a valid point was made regarding dazzling other drivers.

As the price is not too bad, I will give it a try.
Appreciate 0