THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Noise from short shifter?

03-20-2020, 05:57 PM   #1
1more1
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT EB

Just bought a M235i that has an aftermarket short shifter. Didn't realize this on the test drives but it makes a sound when going from 1st to 2nd only under load shifting quickly. I think it also happened one time from 2nd to 3rd when I was really pushing it.

My first thought was the synchros but the noise sounds nothing like a grinding syncho and I don't feel anything in the shift knob. I took a spin with the BMW shop foreman and he definitely agrees it's not a synchro and is thinking this is somehow related to the short shifter.

I don't know what short shifter it is. The sound is sort of like a camera shutter and it happens right after I put it in gear.

What do you guys think? Anyone seen this before?

This thing rips! Very happy I chose an F22.

Edit: Of course I do some Googling and apparently what's happening is normal. What I read is that when you switch from a regular shifter to a short shifter there is actually a more direct connection with the transmission and the synchro noise is more easily transmistted. Would love it if someone could validate this for me and put me at ease. Thanks!
Appreciate 0